All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
With BC now testing more wouldn't that be part of the increase in today's numbers? When Alberta opened up testing to everyone the numbers took a climb. Your thoughts?

Looking at the hospital numbers I would say its looking on a good trend

Easter weekend?

With BC now testing more wouldn't that be part of the increase in today's numbers? When Alberta opened up testing to everyone the numbers took a climb. Your thoughts?

Looking at the hospital numbers I would say its looking on a good trend
I figured the numbers would look bad with the outbreak at the chicken processing plant in the 20 plus range. It’s important to realize that any major outbreak in these confined environments looks bad,but in relation to the whole Province it doesn’t mean that much. Still active cases though and can’t be shrugged off.

48:23
"It's not about me, it's about we." Governor Andrew Cuomo, 22 April 2020.
Awesome.
"You want to work, go get a job as an essential worker." Gov. Cuomo,"They're hiring."

Last edited:

We could also be seeing a combo from people going offside during Easter Weekend. I suspect that is what we are starting to see in Alberta.

Looking at the hospital numbers I would say it's looking on a good trend

Not sure if the Easter Weekend numbers account for this spike because some of the numbers come from 3 new old folks home and their workers. I would have thought that we would see a spike on Vancouver Island for those travelers that disregarded the advice to stay home but nothing so far. Could be early maybe. Testing could be another factor and when I looked, it seems there is a lag in time so I can't test that idea. One thing though is that you can get a whole lot of new cases when the percent of positives go up. Contact tracing for some of those new cases from the chicken processor perhaps. Heard that testing turnaround has been fast, like within 24 hours or less. One thing for sure is when Dr. Bonnie Henry says "We continue to experience new community outbreaks. This of course is very, very concerning," I listen.

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/BC_Surveillance_Summary_April_22 final.pdf

I worried about Alberta.

Curious what your guys thoughts are about when social distancing measures will be changed? I imagine by Mid May we will be able to interact in small groups and go fishing with family and friends? Kind of sounds like that’s the plan from what miss Bonnie Henry has stated.

Curious what your guys thoughts are about when social distancing measures will be changed? I imagine by Mid May we will be able to interact in small groups and go fishing with family and friends? Kind of sounds like that’s the plan from what miss Bonnie Henry has stated.
Not a chance. They're saying that they'll try and open up more businesses that can still maintain proper distancing. I think by mid May it might be immediate families, grandparents etc. I give it mid June before they say ok feel free to meet at the beach with a group of ten friends or less.

It makes sense that a "live together group" or even yourself and a friend who have both been heavily social isolating will be able to go out sooner than a guide business. There is a world of difference there. Guides are in close contact with different people everyday and have a much greater chance of becoming a carrier and much more exposure to greater numbers of people and under normal circumstances, some from out of country or from higher risk provinces/areas.

Even with my high risk heath issues should I get it, I am hopeful I can get out with a buddy later in the summer on my boat. I could man the main helm station and they can play fish, set up and work the gear and keep our distance from each other. The boat and fishing deck are big enough that we should be able to keep six feet distance much of the time. Mask, lots of alcohol sanitizer and cleaners, bring our own food etc. We have been joking about installing clear plastic shields around my helm station like you see at the grocery store. I think I would feel more secure with one of my fishing buddies that I know has been taking lots of isolation precautions and has checked for temperature, than say taking out my niece's husband given they are working and have young children and more likely to be exposed and carriers. Some costs of boat ownership like insurance are still there whether I use the boat or not. I will soon be sending the marina a check for my annual fees.

Last edited:
Today will be telling day. Will we go back to the 25 cases or will it be more like yesterday.

I wouldn’t expect a big sudden drop due to the poultry outbreak and 3 new long term care home outbreaks. But would expect somewhere in between.

Easter Long weekend isn't going to help either. Probably going to see some increases for a bit then things will settle a tad until May long then it will pop up a bit again I bet. Sure hope long term care facilities in BC that are for profit get taken over by the government or non profits, this pandemic sure is shining a light on those for profit care homes. Should never be a for profit care home let alone being foreign owned, hope this change happens fast for the sake of the current old folks and into the future as we will all be there one day.

Easter Long weekend isn't going to help either. Probably going to see some increases for a bit then things will settle a tad until May long then it will pop up a bit again I bet. Sure hope long term care facilities in BC that are for profit get taken over by the government or non profits, this pandemic sure is shining a light on those for profit care homes. Should never be a for profit care home let alone being foreign owned, hope this change happens fast for the sake of the current old folks and into the future as we will all be there one day.

I wonder how long Tofino and Ukee can hold out financially up there. Going to be interesting how that plays out. I see Crystal Cove is saying they are re-opening middle of May?

It makes sense that a "live together group" or even yourself and a friend who have both been heavily social isolating will be able to go out sooner than a guide business. There is a world of difference there. Guides are in close contact with different people everyday and have a much greater chance of becoming a carrier and much more exposure to greater numbers of people and under normal circumstances, some from out of country or from higher risk provinces/areas.

Even with my high risk heath issues should I get it, I am hopeful I can get out with a buddy later in the summer on my boat. I could man the main helm station and they can play fish, set up and work the gear and keep our distance from each other. The boat and fishing deck are big enough that we should be able to keep six feet distance much of the time. Mask, lots of alcohol sanitizer and cleaners, bring our own food etc. We have been joking about installing clear plastic shields around my helm station like you see at the grocery store. I think I would feel more secure with one of my fishing buddies that I know has been taking lots of isolation precautions and has checked for temperature, than say taking out my niece's husband given they are working and have young children and more likely to be exposed and carriers. Some costs of boat ownership like insurance are still there whether I use the boat or not. I will soon be sending the marina a check for my annual fees.
Part of an article in Watershed watch.
Conflict on the water

“Even before COVID, there were significant tensions between user groups,” says Aaron Hill, executive director of Watershed Watch Salmon Society. With commercial boats, Indigenous communities and recreational anglers all targeting the same dwindling numbers of fish, “there could be increased risk of conflict on the water.”

Like Cathy Campbell in Kaslo, Hill is worried about enforcement. “With some people feeling more desperate to put meat in the freezer, we’re probably going to see more people fishing in closed areas or closed times, exceeding their catch limits, and killing prohibited species.”

Hill has some recommendations for fisheries managers: “DFO and B.C. Fish and Wildlife need to increase their enforcement presence in all high-risk fisheries. They will need to monitor popular fishing spots for overcrowding. And they should consider temporarily closing fishing to non-resident anglers. If our borders are closed for non-essential travel, why would we still sell fishing licences to non-residents?”

I wonder how long Tofino and Ukee can hold out financially up there. Going to be interesting how that plays out. I see Crystal Cove is saying they are re-opening middle of May?

Vancouver mayor is Crying that he needs a bail out and the city is going to go bankrupt. Threaten to shut down social programs and other things out to 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back