All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good descriptor. Unfortunately, the Doc doesn't identify themselves, so the disbelievers will latch onto that. #6 is particularly troubling.
However....

Let me introduce myself: I am a practicing ER doctor with a Bachelors degree in cell and molecular biology/genetics and a Masters degree in public health in addition to my doctorate.
COVID is not a flu. Not even a little. Here are reasons why:
1. It is a separate species. It is no more like influenza than you are like a hippo. DIFFERENT SPECIES.

2. It is an airborne virus. This means the tiny droplets can stay in the air for a full 2 hours. So if a person coughed in aisle 4 of Target 1.5 hours ago, they may be home now but their covid cloud is still hanging there just waiting for you to walk by and take a breath. Influenza is not an airborne virus. It is droplet spread- meaning someone has to directly crop dust you with their sneeze to get you sick. Covid is much more contagious.

3. Covid is more virulent. Virulence factor is a measure of how catchy something is. For example, the flu is like beer. It takes a bunch to get you drunk. Covid is more like tequila - A little goes a long way. You need to suck up a lot of flu particles to actually catch the flu; with covid, even a few particles is enough to infect you.

4. Covid has a longer incubation than the flu. When you catch the flu, you typically get sick in the next 1-2 days. This is awesome because it means you stay at home while contagious because you feel like a heap of fried garbage. Covid has a blissful 5-9 days of symptom free time during which you are well enough to head to the movies, gym or mar-a-lago while also being contagious enough to infect everyone you encounter.

5. Covid has a longer duration of illness than flu. With covid, you have a 5-9 days of blissful asymptomatic contagiousness. This then turns into about 1 week of cough and overall feeling like hell but still surviving. Week 2 is when things hit the fan and people end up unable to breathe and on a ventilator. Many stay on the vent for up to 15 days. 5 days incubating+7 kinda sick days + 15 days on a ventilator makes for 27 days of virus spreading illness, (assuming your don’t just die of massive asphyxiation and body-wide collapse from overwhelming infection somewhere in that last week).The flu has an average incubation of 1-2 days and sick time of 7 days for a total of 9 infectious days. In the world of deadly viruses, that 18 extra days might as well be a millennia.

6. Covid is more deadly. A LOT more deadly. The flu has about a 0.2% mortality rate, meaning 2 of every thousand people who get sick with flu will die. On the contrary, the death rate from covid is reportedly 2%, so 10 times more deadly than flu. Ten times more death seems like a lot more death to me. Whats more worrisome is that 2% is actually incorrect because it doesn’t kill kids so that skews the average. With covid, age is a major factor in survival. If we don’t include people under 30, the death rate for adults is on average 4.5%. 9 out of every 200 adults that get this will die from it. Do you know 200 adults? Do you think losing 9 of them is no big deal? Since mortality increases with age in covid, the risk gets worse as you get older so if we put 100 grannies in a room with covid, only 85 would make it out alive to make pies and tell great stories of the old days... and that just sucks.

I hope that helps to clarify why covid is in no way a flu, why you are in no way a hippo, and why staying home is the only way for non-essential people to do their part while I spend my days at work covered in a plastic poncho, sucking air through a stuffy respirator mask, leaving my scrubs in my driveway, showering the covid off at 4am when I get in, and thinking to myself “now do u still think it was just a flu?” as I risk my own life with my face 2 inches from their highly contagious, gasping mouth while I slide the plastic tube down their throat and start up the ventilator.

This is a good descriptor. Unfortunately, the Doc doesn't identify themselves, so the disbelievers will latch onto that. #6 is particularly troubling.
However....

Let me introduce myself: I am a practicing ER doctor with a Bachelors degree in cell and molecular biology/genetics and a Masters degree in public health in addition to my doctorate.
1. It is a separate species. It is no more like influenza than you are like a hippo. DIFFERENT SPECIES.

2. It is an airborne virus. This means the tiny droplets can stay in the air for a full 2 hours. So if a person coughed in aisle 4 of Target 1.5 hours ago, they may be home now but their covid cloud is still hanging there just waiting for you to walk by and take a breath. Influenza is not an airborne virus. It is droplet spread- meaning someone has to directly crop dust you with their sneeze to get you sick. Covid is much more contagious.

3. Covid is more virulent. Virulence factor is a measure of how catchy something is. For example, the flu is like beer. It takes a bunch to get you drunk. Covid is more like tequila - A little goes a long way. You need to suck up a lot of flu particles to actually catch the flu; with covid, even a few particles is enough to infect you.

4. Covid has a longer incubation than the flu. When you catch the flu, you typically get sick in the next 1-2 days. This is awesome because it means you stay at home while contagious because you feel like a heap of fried garbage. Covid has a blissful 5-9 days of symptom free time during which you are well enough to head to the movies, gym or mar-a-lago while also being contagious enough to infect everyone you encounter.

5. Covid has a longer duration of illness than flu. With covid, you have a 5-9 days of blissful asymptomatic contagiousness. This then turns into about 1 week of cough and overall feeling like hell but still surviving. Week 2 is when things hit the fan and people end up unable to breathe and on a ventilator. Many stay on the vent for up to 15 days. 5 days incubating+7 kinda sick days + 15 days on a ventilator makes for 27 days of virus spreading illness, (assuming your don’t just die of massive asphyxiation and body-wide collapse from overwhelming infection somewhere in that last week).The flu has an average incubation of 1-2 days and sick time of 7 days for a total of 9 infectious days. In the world of deadly viruses, that 18 extra days might as well be a millennia.

6. Covid is more deadly. A LOT more deadly. The flu has about a 0.2% mortality rate, meaning 2 of every thousand people who get sick with flu will die. On the contrary, the death rate from covid is reportedly 2%, so 10 times more deadly than flu. Ten times more death seems like a lot more death to me. Whats more worrisome is that 2% is actually incorrect because it doesn’t kill kids so that skews the average. With covid, age is a major factor in survival. If we don’t include people under 30, the death rate for adults is on average 4.5%. 9 out of every 200 adults that get this will die from it. Do you know 200 adults? Do you think losing 9 of them is no big deal? Since mortality increases with age in covid, the risk gets worse as you get older so if we put 100 grannies in a room with covid, only 85 would make it out alive to make pies and tell great stories of the old days... and that just sucks.

I hope that helps to clarify why covid is in no way a flu, why you are in no way a hippo, and why staying home is the only way for non-essential people to do their part while I spend my days at work covered in a plastic poncho, sucking air through a stuffy respirator mask, leaving my scrubs in my driveway, showering the covid off at 4am when I get in, and thinking to myself “now do u still think it was just a flu?” as I risk my own life with my face 2 inches from their highly contagious, gasping mouth while I slide the plastic tube down their throat and start up the ventilator.

So awesome you shared this. Thanks to everything you do.

But if you believe the new studies on how many have actually been infected it's death rate would plummet to under that of the flu (also good to note flu doesn't kill kids really either).

However....

I needed to hear this. I'm on week 6 and getting frustrated. This just put those flames out...

I just wish the government would at least lay out a target or a game plan. I think it would help a lot of pepole. The feeling that an adult is in charge... I would love to have that feeling again.

With covid, age is a major factor in survival. If we don’t include people under 30, the death rate for adults is on average 4.5%.

no doubt, i get his/her point, but wouldn't you have to consider the top end of the scale as well? not include those over 70 in this example (based on 1-100??). i'm just not sure how you pick one group to exclude from stats. of course its a very common strategy and not just during pandemics..

On CBC site looks like at best mid May earliest for any change to daily life and even after that most parts of what we are doing now will still apply for the long haul.

She also reiterated that while B.C. has had some success in bending the curve of infection, British Columbians should not expect any change in the restrictions on daily life until at least mid-May.

"Our new normal is going to be a modification of the things we have had in place for the past few months," Henry said.

Any changes will be gradual, she stressed, and will still depend on maintaining appropriate physical distancing.

She also acknowledged the toll the restrictions have taken on people's finances and personal lives, but said the relative success B.C. has had in keeping the pandemic under control should not be taken as a sign that the province has overreacted.

"We have averted a major crisis in B.C., but that's because people have done what we've asked them to do," Henry said.

With covid, age is a major factor in survival. If we don’t include people under 30, the death rate for adults is on average 4.5%.

no doubt, i get his/her point, but wouldn't you have to consider the top end of the scale as well? not include those over 70 in this example (based on 1-100??). i'm just not sure how you pick one group to exclude from stats. of course its a very common strategy and not just during pandemics..
aussie deaths.png

This one directly effects me.
I am currently on one of the most powerful blood thinners ever developed...

Though novel coronavirus symptoms thus far have presented chiefly within the respiratory system, the infection is swiftly showing to be an all-out, system-wide assault that reaches far past the lungs. Doctors in hot spots across the globe have begun to report an unexpected prevalence of blood clotting among COVID cases, in what could pose a perfect storm of potentially fatal risk factors.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19-patients-blood-clots/story?id=70131612

You cant ignore this. Its actual statistics & not a "model". Its extremely interesting & only history will tell. That's an amazing amount of pepole with antibodies.

If the findings prove out, this proves this thing is airborne. Imagine if it was more lethal....

Truth is we wont know everything until this is all over.

I have read, and oh boy have I been reading, that the Soviets found an inverse relationship between lethality and level of contagiousness with potential virus weapons.

Sweden just logged 185 deaths in 24hr period. Just looking at numbers.

You look at Norway and Finland results night and day.

Last edited:
Maybe. But if in fact they have large herd immunity they won’t be worried about any second wave or third wave etc ....

There's over 8 strains of the virus and the health community is unsure if once infected and recovered how long any potential immunity will last or if there is even any immunity preventing a second infection. There's lots of unknowns which is what's so crippling right now.

What a load of elitist, neo-liberal nonsense.

"Prosperity is born of the creative crucible of markets and economic competition. The wealth we have enjoyed in this country is not God-given, natural or inevitable. Prosperity is born of the creative crucible of markets and economic competition. The wealth we have enjoyed in this country is not God-given, natural or inevitable."

The wealth of this country has been given away to the already wealthy. We socialize risk and privatize profit. We are living in a period of the greatest inequality in history. Prosperity has been enjoyed by the very few, well born or well connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back