All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect it's just another brain fart and he will reverse himself and try to rewrite history by claiming fake-news. His supports will eat it up like candy and laugh that they owned the libs.

Did you hear about his huge supporter the Governor of Georgia?

He stated yesterday something to the effect of "we just learned in the last 24 hours that the virus can be spread by those who are asymptomatic". For god's sake.....the CDC is based is in his own state and his administration just found out what others have known for weeks or months??? Moron.

A lot of jobs in Nanaimo area effected which really sucks. I also have a customer in Horseshoe Bay, and that will crush their business even more now.

I wonder if these jobs in Nanaimo will be affected...:rolleyes:
21070386_web1_200324-NBU-Harmac_Pulp_order_1-1200x800.jpg

Nanaimo’s Harmac mill works to fill doubled pulp order for medical masks and gowns

Mar. 24, 2020

Production is heating up at Harmac Pacific to produce a special paper pulp used in the manufacture of disposable surgical masks, gowns and other medical products.

Those products, worn to help prevent the spread of disease, are in short supply due to the COVID-19 crisis and the U.S. customer that produces them has doubled its order for the K10S pulp.

“It’s a customer out of the States and we’ve been supplying them for years, but in light of what’s going on in the lack of medical supplies, they’ve doubled their order with us in the last week, so we’re doing everything we can to meet that demand,” said Levi Sampson, Harmac president.

Sampson said the Harmac mill is the world’s only producer of the particular grade of paper pulp used in the manufacture of surgical masks and gowns and that the mill has been producing it since before he came to work there in 2008.

“K10S is the pulp that we’re producing for these medical supplies. We’re the only one that produces it,” he said. “Different pulp mills run different grades of pulp – almost kind of like recipes.”

K10S pulp is made from western red cedar that produces a soft fibre that makes it suitable for the final products made from it.

“It’s been tweaked over the years to come up with the right formula that allows it to go into the medical supplies,” Sampson said.

https://www.vicnews.com/business/na...ubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/

The police are monitoring private boats leaving Sidney making sure they don’t plan on going to parks or camping out anywhere. My buddy got stopped yesterday on his way to work on Sidney Island.

Have been following the stimulus packages closely as it effects many of my clients. What I don't see at this point, which I think will need to be addressed, is reduced worker hours, the current packages require you to be off work completely.

Nanaimo’s Harmac mill works to fill doubled pulp order for medical masks and gowns

Mar. 24, 2020

Production is heating up at Harmac Pacific to produce a special paper pulp used in the manufacture of disposable surgical masks, gowns and other medical products.

Those products, worn to help prevent the spread of disease, are in short supply due to the COVID-19 crisis and the U.S. customer that produces them has doubled its order for the K10S pulp.

“It’s a customer out of the States and we’ve been supplying them for years, but in light of what’s going on in the lack of medical supplies, they’ve doubled their order with us in the last week, so we’re doing everything we can to meet that demand,” said Levi Sampson, Harmac president.

Sampson said the Harmac mill is the world’s only producer of the particular grade of paper pulp used in the manufacture of surgical masks and gowns and that the mill has been producing it since before he came to work there in 2008.

“K10S is the pulp that we’re producing for these medical supplies. We’re the only one that produces it,” he said. “Different pulp mills run different grades of pulp – almost kind of like recipes.”

K10S pulp is made from western red cedar that produces a soft fibre that makes it suitable for the final products made from it.

“It’s been tweaked over the years to come up with the right formula that allows it to go into the medical supplies,” Sampson said.

https://www.vicnews.com/business/na...ubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/

So I don’t get it,, your upset these people are working and supporting themselves.

So I don’t get it,, your upset these people are working and supporting themselves.
Hi walleyes my point was the boys were working double hard to supply 3m with the raw material for the masks that Trump has brain farted about. Hope that clears that up for you as I know that you're probably worried about work and family at this point, Stay safe.

Hi walleyes my point was the boys were working double hard to supply 3m with the raw material for the masks that Trump has brain farted about. Hope that clears that up for you as I know that you're probably worried about work and family at this point, Stay safe.

Yes, surprising that Trump could have missed that little detail when he was wanting 3M to renege on its agreement to supply a comparatively small amount of their output of masks to Canada, considering it takes a very specialized pulp to make them that is only made at this BC mill.

Last edited:
Well that’s good then I was awfully surprised to see someone upset about people being able to work.
And I am concerned about people working my family and always other, so far we are all good, boys are all still working as am I. Our industry has been deemed an essential industry as long as we can make it work and keep outside contact to a minimum and stay healthy all is good. It’s essential we keep as many people working as possibly, it’s important to keep as many operations going as we can. The country needs funds flowing people need services, let hope we can keep many businesses open and operational.

And on the Trump issue I really don’t blame him, he’s doing what he was hired to do, look after his own people and their needs first. Canada has plants that can make masks let’s look at getting them up and tooled for the job, these are drastic times they call for drastic measures.

This is the *****.
I don't know if I got this covid thing or not. I was very careful, masks, gloves, disinfectant every where, in car home, cleaned everything
Throat got really sore, phoned my doc, got some antibiotics in case it was something else.
Got home, went up stairs, lost my breath, pain in upper chest, collapsed, sweating but no high fever.
Got up, noticed some blood in sputum.
Phoned for an ambulance, now I have never ever done this before, my chest and breathing were agony.

Well they phoned me back and shamed me into cancelling, I would use up safety gear and unless I couldn't breathe I would not be tested and would be sent home after several hours at the hospital.

Next day I phoned for an ambulance again, more difficulty breathing, still no high fever, I haven't eaten for two days now, fair amount of water, still dizzy, super bagged out, no concentration and can't sleep, this time I didn't cancel. They show up and wait until I answer questions and one person "gears" up, IMO not a good job, again, tells me it is a useless trip and a waste of supplies. Evidently they only want to know or test you if you had contact with someone from outside the country. I could see where this was going, I would have to wait to become even worse.

Let me tell you I have never had anything hit so hard so fast that put me on the ground and in bed for a week. It is hard to find any data as to how long this can go on.

BTW, I am a little better now, I could not have spent this amount of time posting a couple of days ago

I guess maybe it was covid, my older relatives are now all in hospital, 96,90 and 88. My dad came by 2 days after my uncle started coughing, he just never got it about the seriousness, "I'm tough" and the fear of "losing" it.
Is there any way you or the forum can get this message out to the Public ? My friends see people going to public parks that are almost at full capacity thinking that they are ' safe'.
Trudopes message to Go Home and Stay Home' needs to be hammered out alot louder.

Mar. 24, 2020

Wow Harmac is busy all the jobs in Nanaimo are saved.:rolleyes::rolleyes: I would like to think Harmac can save our businesses in Nanaimo but that isn't the case. BC Ferries and the businesses that support them are way bigger employer locally. Very broad on what they impact. It really sucks for our city.

As far as I know Harmac is not adding staff. They just shifted everyone around as I believe they lost demand in their regular products. So while they may be working they really aren't adding 1000's of jobs. Still good though as people will not be out of work there.

Last edited:
One thing you can be guaranteed after all this mess, is some people are going to make a crap load of money off this when it’s all over. The poor will get poorer and the rich will be richer. That’s a guarantee.
And you forgot that some will be dead!

R
The police are monitoring private boats leaving Sidney making sure they don’t plan on going to parks or camping out anywhere. My buddy got stopped yesterday on his way to work on Sidney Island.
Really-----???? Bunch of garbage. Are they worried the fallow deer will get the bug ?

Wow Harmac is busy all the jobs in Nanaimo are saved.:rolleyes::rolleyes: I would like to think Harmac can save our businesses in Nanaimo but that isn't the case. BC Ferries and the businesses that support them are way bigger employer locally. Very broad on what they impact. It really sucks for our city.

As far as I know Harmac is not adding staff. They just shifted everyone around as I believe they lost demand in their regular products. So while they may be working they really aren't adding 1000's of jobs. Still good though as people will not be out of work there.

I understand that the cost of a mask in the US went from around .70 cents each to around 6 or 7 dollars with the pandemic demand. Has the price of the unique pulp to make it also gone up? Sounds like Harmac could be a good investment. Still not that easy to fine TP, which I think they can also make.

I understand that the cost of a mask in the US went from around .70 cents each to around 6 or 7 dollars with the pandemic demand. Has the price of the unique pulp to make it also gone up? Sounds like Harmac could be a good investment.

Remember when bc hydro jacked up rates to California and then got sued for millions?

It’s probably like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back