All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you not take advantage of this emergency measures funding? My wife is a realtor and is investigating as well as her industry has ground to a halt.
I’ll likely be able to access those funds if I need them. My accountant seems to think so, he’s also looking into the wage subsidy in regards to my construction business. Could be a big help as prices generally fall sharply in a recession/down economy. I’m historically exempt from EI.

How so? How are we all going to be? I have never collected a pogey or welfare cheque in my life. I’ll do everything in my power not to now.

So what are you saying guys like me are under you? Some people that own businesses, and have supported this economy don't have that choice.:( There will be millions. I will be there along with many across Canada.

We don't get the same benefits as workers. We have rents, taxes, vendors and all the additional financial burdens as an employers. No shame in taking help from government.

Last edited:
B
IT ISN"T POGEY!!! FFS. Some people that own businesses, and have supported this economy don't have that choice.:( There will be millions. I will be there along with many across Canada.

We don't get the same benefits as workers. We have rents, taxes, vendors and all the additional financial burdens as an employers. No shame in taking help from government.

Hi. Not a dig on anyone that needs it. I’m an employer. I have two businesses. A shop. Equipment leases. I’m aware of the financial burden. So far for me, construction in Victoria is full steam ahead. I’ve had one house shut down mid project as the owner lost their shirt in the stock market and has to reevaluate. My largest client just finalized a major land deal, and shut down their other sub division in order to whether the storm. The banks are pulling funding on some new projects as well, this hasn’t affected me so far, but some friends(business owners) have lost work in the last couple weeks. My greatest hurdle to this point is providing a safe work environment up to Worksafes standards and the fact that 80% of my crew has been off with sick unable to get tested for Covid. At this point I’m able to work, we’ve had an amazing run in a good economy. I’ve been anticipating a recession for years, no one could have forecasted why/how this one has happened. It’s my preference to save the money for people that need it more. I’ve always been able to knuckle through adversity.

I feel for those folks without a computer, can't imagine holding on a phone call for
hours on end. Service Canada branches closed so you can't do it in person.
:(

This is the *****.
I don't know if I got this covid thing or not. I was very careful, masks, gloves, disinfectant every where, in car home, cleaned everything
Throat got really sore, phoned my doc, got some antibiotics in case it was something else.
Got home, went up stairs, lost my breath, pain in upper chest, collapsed, sweating but no high fever.
Got up, noticed some blood in sputum.
Phoned for an ambulance, now I have never ever done this before, my chest and breathing were agony.

Well they phoned me back and shamed me into cancelling, I would use up safety gear and unless I couldn't breathe I would not be tested and would be sent home after several hours at the hospital.

Next day I phoned for an ambulance again, more difficulty breathing, still no high fever, I haven't eaten for two days now, fair amount of water, still dizzy, super bagged out, no concentration and can't sleep, this time I didn't cancel. They show up and wait until I answer questions and one person "gears" up, IMO not a good job, again, tells me it is a useless trip and a waste of supplies. Evidently they only want to know or test you if you had contact with someone from outside the country. I could see where this was going, I would have to wait to become even worse.

Let me tell you I have never had anything hit so hard so fast that put me on the ground and in bed for a week. It is hard to find any data as to how long this can go on.

BTW, I am a little better now, I could not have spent this amount of time posting a couple of days ago

I guess maybe it was covid, my older relatives are now all in hospital, 96,90 and 88. My dad came by 2 days after my uncle started coughing, he just never got it about the seriousness, "I'm tough" and the fear of "losing" it.

My good buddy is a partner with one of the mid sized regional engineering firms. He specializes in roofing and structural remediation for larger sites like malls, schools, hospitals and such. He says his team is the busiest he has ever seen with new projects which in turn generates opportunities for trades. The owners and managers of these properties are viewing these times as a window to catch up on deferred projects since the sites are near empty. I hope this filters down to folks impacted in the construction sector quickly.

At the same time, he says the residential and multifamily business for new projects has ground to a halt with projects in flight continuing onwards.

Like all of us, the velocity of the covid economic impact has arrived breathtakingly fast. Ours is an essential services business of sorts so we are full throttle however we are already seeing clients slow walking payments to address cashflow. Economic exposure is everywhere.

B

Hi. Not a dig on anyone that needs it. I’m an employer. I have two businesses. A shop. Equipment leases. I’m aware of the financial burden. So far for me, construction in Victoria is full steam ahead. I’ve had one house shut down mid project as the owner lost their shirt in the stock market and has to reevaluate. My largest client just finalized a major land deal, and shut down their other sub division in order to whether the storm. The banks are pulling funding on some new projects as well, this hasn’t affected me so far, but some friends(business owners) have lost work in the last couple weeks. My greatest hurdle to this point is providing a safe work environment up to Worksafes standards and the fact that 80% of my crew has been off with sick unable to get tested for Covid. At this point I’m able to work, we’ve had an amazing run in a good economy. I’ve been anticipating a recession for years, no one could have forecasted why/how this one has happened. It’s my preference to save the money for people that need it more. I’ve always been able to knuckle through adversity.
I can attest to the full steam ahead for construction statement. I do investigations for Fortis on the Island for gas line hits. I'm as busy now as I was last summer with guys hitting lines with excavators. One more scoop. Stay safe out there people

This is the *****.
I don't know if I got this covid thing or not. I was very careful, masks, gloves, disinfectant every where, in car home, cleaned everything
Throat got really sore, phoned my doc, got some antibiotics in case it was something else.
Got home, went up stairs, lost my breath, pain in upper chest, collapsed, sweating but no high fever.
Got up, noticed some blood in sputum.
Phoned for an ambulance, now I have never ever done this before, my chest and breathing were agony.

Well they phoned me back and shamed me into cancelling, I would use up safety gear and unless I couldn't breathe I would not be tested and would be sent home after several hours at the hospital.

Next day I phoned for an ambulance again, more difficulty breathing, still no high fever, I haven't eaten for two days now, fair amount of water, still dizzy, super bagged out, no concentration and can't sleep, this time I didn't cancel. They show up and wait until I answer questions and one person "gears" up, IMO not a good job, again, tells me it is a useless trip and a waste of supplies. Evidently they only want to know or test you if you had contact with someone from outside the country. I could see where this was going, I would have to wait to become even worse.

Let me tell you I have never had anything hit so hard so fast that put me on the ground and in bed for a week. It is hard to find any data as to how long this can go on.

BTW, I am a little better now, I could not have spent this amount of time posting a couple of days ago

I guess maybe it was covid, my older relatives are now all in hospital, 96,90 and 88. My dad came by 2 days after my uncle started coughing, he just never got it about the seriousness, "I'm tough" and the fear of "losing" it.
Geez, hang in there and hope you get well soon. Except for the lack of fever it sounds like covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back