All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah better read back. Some of you same guys were complaining all the time that the government kept changing their story. When people tried to put out that it’s science based and the more we learn the more things will change we were called liberal lackeys and fools and all kinds of other ****. Well shoes on the other foot now and those same people look like assholes. And they deserve too.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

I took the AZ shot just over 3 weeks ago, mostly because I didn't feel the risk was high for me on the clot front and I figured someone else could have the mRNA version if it suited them better. I had very little in the way of side affects, a day or so of feeling a bit fatigued and a bit of body ache the first day as well. I will take whatever is available for round two, based on the recommendations the research provides, but I completely understand if others choose a different path. I am simply happy that we have a choice, given the alternative of no vaccines and a long, drawn out process of physical distancing and disruption to everyday life, while the virus took it's natural course.
The only thing I have noticed, I seem to have this recurring dream featuring Bill Gate's voice telling me to buy more Microsoft products! (Gotta have a little humour once in awhile!)

Brian

So a week ago some of you same guys were all pro AZ and suddenly your not? What changed?
I think I'm the only person who was specifically pro-AZ and I would still be inclined to take it except, possibly, for the recent research announced by the Salk Institute that the multi-organ damage may be directly caused by the spike protein itself.

I haven't had time to look into which vaccines that would favour, and the research is so new it hasn't been replicated so I don't know how it would affect my choice yet.

I have definitely never called anyone a liberal lackey etc, though, nor have I ever had an issue with the science itself evolving. I'm not critical of changing government decisions if they actually reflect new science; I'm critical of them when they ignore actual science to score points.

At any rate I'm not concerned about the clotting issue with the AZ vaccine as far as my personal odds, and the new research I mentioned above, I haven't discussed here because I haven't looked at it very thoroughly yet.

According to the manager of the golf driving range we use most here Kelowna, Air Canada is promoting Okanagan golf vacations and one couple just got off a plane from Toronto and were hitting balls down the way.
I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Re
According to the manager of the golf driving range we use most here Kelowna, Air Canada is promoting Okanagan golf vacations and one couple just got off a plane from Toronto and were hitting balls down the way.
That doesn’t seem right to me, at this time.

I agree with you on this. Tomorrow, Wednesday the 12th, is the day my wife and I were supposed to be heading up to Sheridan Lake @ 100 Mile House till the end of the month. We have been renting a cabin there every year at this time for 20 years now. We live on Vanc Island and can’t travel anywhere off the Island now thanks to our illustrious leader Horgan. Yet everyone from the Kootenay's to the Klondike (except possibly the Lower Wasteland) and most other Provinces can simply drive up there or anywhere else and sit back on the deck with a “pop” in hand watching the fish jumping. Hmmm, something’s not quite right with this picture . That’s OK tho’ as I’ll rest easier knowing that no-one from off-island will be putting in any LEH’s for our Roosevelt Elk because of the travel ban... That should improve my odds of getting drawn...Yeah, right, Lol

Last edited:
Solid risk of blood clots on longhaul flights >4 hrs, most airlines have some info in their in-flight magazine. Roughly 1 in 1000 people develop DVT from a flight and it is serious if not addressed. But how many people are firmly against long flights because of risk of clots?

I have heard people are getting towing companies to bring boats over. I do not know how trailer paperwork is being handled, but I'd imagine you'd need a broker.

@Skins88 did it. I believe he used a broker and a tow company.

Had my appointment for 17:20, arrived in the truck at 17:00, respected the instructions to not show up too early, got in line at 17:15.
Needle went in at 18:00, and because I have had an anaphylatic reaction in the past, in my case to sulpha drugs, I had to wait 30 minutes before leaving. They must know me, because a couple of nurses were watching me very closely.

My nurse must have been hitting on me. "How did a young guy like you sneak in here?"
"Aw shucks, being born in 1973 is not as young as it used to be!"

Being Campbell Rumour, there were lots of rumours in the line. Pfizer and one nurse giving Moderna.
When I got in, I was told it was Pfizer by the dispensing nurse. Not that it made a difference in my decision, I was just interested in when they would tell me what it was if I did not ask first.

Shoulder was pretty sore this morning but is now easing up.

Vaccines have been more than 99% effective against COVID-19 in Sask., top doctor says​

Out of 309,276 vaccinated residents, only 263 later became infected, study finds

May 11, 2021

The doctor leading Saskatchewan's fight against COVID-19 is pointing to new data that suggests vaccines have been tremendously effective in keeping people living in the province from getting infected.

In an analysis conducted up to May 8, researchers found that out of the 309,276 Saskatchewan residents who received a single dose of COVID-19 vaccine up to and including April 17, only 263 became infected with the coronavirus more than three weeks later.

That amounts to a "breakthrough rate" of 0.085 per cent.
"The vaccine effectiveness is 99 per cent and higher," Chief Medical Health Officer Dr. Saqib Shahab said during a COVID-19 briefing on Tuesday.

"This is quite remarkable, actually. That's just one dose. The vaccine is protecting us so well."

Tuesday's disclosure was the first data of its kind to emerge from Saskatchewan about "breakthrough" infections in vaccinated people. So far, the province has innoculated residents with the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines.

Shahab said the findings reinforce the need for all Saskatchewan residents to get vaccinated and follow up with a second dose.
Saskatchewan is aiming to fully vaccinate all residents by the end of July, at which point it's hoped the province will be in the third and final step of its plan to gradually lift or ease public health measures enacted in the last year to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

That plan sets out various vaccination benchmarks before rules can be relaxed, based on single-dose vaccination targets.
At least one of Shahab's counterparts has confirmed her province will not echo Saskatchewan's plan.

"We do need to look at a number of different factors, so it's not going to be just based on immunization, but that will be one of the important factors," Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, said earlier this week.
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe has said elements of the reopening plan may be put on pause if there's a concerning spike in cases or hospitalizations.

On Tuesday, in the wake of vaccine efficacy data, Moe called on the federal government to come forward as quickly as possible with advice on what people can and can't do once they're fully vaccinated.

"I suspect many Canadians are going to be asking the same questions of the federal government," Moe said.

"If I travel abroad to a certain country, what are the requirements with respect to quarantine, testing? On my return to Canada, should those [requirements] be the same for someone that is unvaccinated versus someone that is vaccinated?

"We would ask them to provide some guidance."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sask...-saqib-shahab-1.6022879?__vfz=medium=sharebar

Vaccines have been more than 99% effective against COVID-19 in Sask., top doctor says​

Out of 309,276 vaccinated residents, only 263 later became infected, study finds

May 11, 2021

The doctor leading Saskatchewan's fight against COVID-19 is pointing to new data that suggests vaccines have been tremendously effective in keeping people living in the province from getting infected.

In an analysis conducted up to May 8, researchers found that out of the 309,276 Saskatchewan residents who received a single dose of COVID-19 vaccine up to and including April 17, only 263 became infected with the coronavirus more than three weeks later.

That amounts to a "breakthrough rate" of 0.085 per cent.
"The vaccine effectiveness is 99 per cent and higher," Chief Medical Health Officer Dr. Saqib Shahab said during a COVID-19 briefing on Tuesday.

"This is quite remarkable, actually. That's just one dose. The vaccine is protecting us so well."

Tuesday's disclosure was the first data of its kind to emerge from Saskatchewan about "breakthrough" infections in vaccinated people. So far, the province has innoculated residents with the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines.

Shahab said the findings reinforce the need for all Saskatchewan residents to get vaccinated and follow up with a second dose.
Saskatchewan is aiming to fully vaccinate all residents by the end of July, at which point it's hoped the province will be in the third and final step of its plan to gradually lift or ease public health measures enacted in the last year to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

That plan sets out various vaccination benchmarks before rules can be relaxed, based on single-dose vaccination targets.
At least one of Shahab's counterparts has confirmed her province will not echo Saskatchewan's plan.

"We do need to look at a number of different factors, so it's not going to be just based on immunization, but that will be one of the important factors," Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, said earlier this week.
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe has said elements of the reopening plan may be put on pause if there's a concerning spike in cases or hospitalizations.

On Tuesday, in the wake of vaccine efficacy data, Moe called on the federal government to come forward as quickly as possible with advice on what people can and can't do once they're fully vaccinated.

"I suspect many Canadians are going to be asking the same questions of the federal government," Moe said.

"If I travel abroad to a certain country, what are the requirements with respect to quarantine, testing? On my return to Canada, should those [requirements] be the same for someone that is unvaccinated versus someone that is vaccinated?

"We would ask them to provide some guidance."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatchewan-covid-19-vaccine-effectiveness-dr-saqib-shahab-1.6022879?__vfz=medium=sharebar
Here’s a thought. Could we not be adding the amount of infected people to the list of vaccinated. I’ve done a little research over the last while on chances of re-infection after contracting and the numbers seem pretty close to those of catching it after vaccination. So in theory could those people not be counted as done as well.

Just throwing it out there, I know it would never be done lol.

Here’s a thought. Could we not be adding the amount of infected people to the list of vaccinated. I’ve done a little research over the last while on chances of re-infection after contracting and the numbers seem pretty close to those of catching it after vaccination. So in theory could those people not be counted as done as well.

Just throwing it out there, I know it would never be done lol.

Sounds like Alberta will be doing that. The Government gave milestones for removal of restrictions that are based on % of population that is either immunized or contracted the virus. The combination will be used.

Alberta should have hit 2M vaccines today. Things are moving quickly now. I think we gave over 50k doses in one day.

NEWS RELEASE​
For Immediate Release
2021PREM0034-000900
May 12, 2021
Office of the Premier
Ministry of Health

More than 50% of eligible people in B.C. have received first vaccine dose
VICTORIA – More than 50% of all eligible people in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
Building on that momentum, Premier John Horgan is calling for everyone to register for vaccination and help friends, family and neighbours to do the same.
“We’ve made extraordinary progress together over the past few weeks toward everyone getting their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine,” said Premier Horgan. “COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down, but this milestone gives us hope of better days ahead. We have to keep going. We need all British Columbians to help make sure as many people as possible get their shots. Register today and talk to your friends, family and neighbours and make sure they’re registered, too.”
Once people are registered, they will get an email or text notification when it is their turn to book an appointment. Anyone not already registered should register now in one of three ways:
  • 24/7, online: https://gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated
  • through a provincial call centre between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (Pacific time) at 1 833 838-2323, or
  • in person at the nearest Service BC location.
People who do not have a personal health number can register by phone or in person. Translations are available in over 140 languages over the phone.
With more than one million doses arriving this month, B.C. is making quick progress in its immunization plan and everyone in B.C. needs to do their part to protect people and communities by helping others getting vaccinated. Workers in B.C. are eligible for up to three hours of paid leave to get each dose of their COVID-19 vaccine.
“I invite British Columbians to join together and help us reach the next vaccine milestone – 60% of people vaccinated,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health. “B.C. has the vaccines, the clinics and the workers. Register. Get vaccinated. Speak with your friends and families. Help get them registered.”
B.C.’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout is the largest and most complex immunization program in the province’s history, with more than 2,162,023 people in B.C. already having received a first dose of vaccine by May 12, 2021. More than 2.5 million people in B.C. have registered since the Get Vaccinated provincial registration and booking system was launched on April 6.
“Vaccines are the light at the end of the tunnel in this pandemic, and that light is growing brighter by the day,” said Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer. “By getting vaccinated when it is your turn and helping others register so they can do the same, we can protect our loved ones, our communities and ourselves from COVID-19.”
To register online, people need:
  • their personal health number (found on their CareCard or on the back of their driver’s licence or BC Services Card);
  • postal code;
  • first and last names;
  • date of birth; and
  • an email address that gets checked regularly or a phone number that can receive text messages.
“Regardless of whether you got your first dose through a pharmacy, through your workplace as a priority worker, through a clinic of any kind, or by booking a first dose through a health authority call centre, people must now register through the Get Vaccinated system,” said Dr. Penny Ballem, executive lead for B.C.’s immunization efforts. “Getting every person registered is vital to our immunization efforts in B.C. If you aren’t sure whether you have registered already or have been registered, register now to help public health get you your doses of vaccine.”

https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/releases/news_releases_2020-2024/2021PREM0034-000900.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back