All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoke to some family friends in Calgary and also my buddy in Red Deer today and they were all super worried about their small businesses, kids not being able to finish the school year, etc. My heart goes out to people who followed all the health guidelines and still ended up in hospitals or lost their business. Besides the idiocy of some, both the provincial and federal governments are guilty of the situation in AB. Only faster vaccination can bring a relief at this point.
I know I’ve said it before but I’m darn glad I’m not a politician during this mess. Your damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I mean other than idiot child’s major debacle in not procuring vaccines for his people these politicians can’t seem to make a right move, somebody is always pissed at them.

Only thing is they still aren’t sure how effective being vaccinated is at stopping the spread. So I’m not sure how you being vaccinated helps your fellow man. Not saying not to get vaccinated do as you will but you can still spread the virus.
As of tomorrow in AB, anyone over 12yrs old can "Book" a covid vaccine appointment (not register) she is wide open now to any one. Now that high risk have been covered its whoever wants it.

My wife is 37 and she got the Pfizer shot on Sunday. No underline conditions. She just asked the Costco pharmacist if they had any extra shots from no shows. They said "yup" and gave it to her.
That’s amazing

I know I’ve said it before but I’m darn glad I’m not a politician during this mess. Your damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I mean other than idiot child’s major debacle in not procuring vaccines for his people these politicians can’t seem to make a right move, somebody is always pissed at them.
Their choice was the “don’t”. I would’ve preferred the “do” option

It is kind of odd that BC a province with 700,000 more people than AB has ran 2,000,000 less tests isn’t it.
One less hockey team! On a serious note, that has bugged/baffled me from the start but it seems that Dr BH has tried to mother-hen us from the get go, more with the data and the messaging than restriction. In fact I think we’ve seen fewer overall restrictions in BC, again b/c of BH, up until the most recent indoor gathering and travel bans.

My wife’s a teacher and so we’re both very aware that BC has had the fewest days out of class than any province with real Covid #s. On top of that the BC ministry and districts are under reporting cases and exposures by at least an order of magnitude. My wife’s small population alternate high school has had a significant # of kids infected who’ve attended school or programs, yet the district and health region have yet to declare a single exposure (and we know of three incide that went through at least one whole household.

Anyway I often wonder if the Provincial Health Officers all got together at the beginning of this to run a grand social experiment: Ok, which province wants to try regulations? Who wants kind hearted messaging? Who wants plead ignorance? EtcSorry for the ramble.

Cheers!

Ukee

One less hockey team! On a serious note, that has bugged/baffled me from the start but it seems that Dr BH has tried to mother-hen us from the get go, more with the data and the messaging than restriction. In fact I think we’ve seen fewer overall restrictions in BC, again b/c of BH, up until the most recent indoor gathering and travel bans.

My wife’s a teacher and so we’re both very aware that BC has had the fewest days out of class than any province with real Covid #s. On top of that the BC ministry and districts are under reporting cases and exposures by at least an order of magnitude. My wife’s small population alternate high school has had a significant # of kids infected who’ve attended school or programs, yet the district and health region have yet to declare a single exposure (and we know of three incide that went through at least one whole household.

Anyway I often wonder if the Provincial Health Officers all got together at the beginning of this to run a grand social experiment: Ok, which province wants to try regulations? Who wants kind hearted messaging? Who wants plead ignorance? EtcSorry for the ramble.

Cheers!

Ukee
In all honesty if I had to guess.

I would say in one province you have a union friendly civil servant friendly government in power and in the other you have a health service that is constantly at odds with its government and will do anything in its power to make things look bad and make it as difficult for that government as they can. Despite the fact they are one the best staffed and best paid in the nation.

But aren’t we all ”being forced” to live in communities with anti-maskers and just plain selfish, self-absorbed folks who are continue to flaunt common sense public health measures? The increase in both scale and duration of this pandemic, which has had a significant cost in terms of our economy and loss of life, is directly related to community level transmission.

Selfish actions by the few, have made this pandemic significantly longer and more difficult for the whole. I get the arguments provided above but, when you look at the flip side of those arguments, what do you say to the folks who have lost their livelihoods, or a loved one, because a minority of the community chose not to abide by simple health measures because of some tin hat conspiracy they read on FB?

Interesting debate, though wish the consequences weren’t our economy and peoples lives!

Cheers!

Ukee
We are, just like we are also being forced to live around drug dealers and b&e artists and gang members and other threats to your life and well being, and if everyone had a lot fewer rights and freedoms, we could get rid of those people, and those threats would be gone.

Freedom isn't cheap. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum from safety. I still want it and I still encourage everyone to fight for every ounce of it they can get, despite its costs.

I would also be inclined to say that doing what you're told only helps, if the people you're listening to are right about what's best. Hopefully that's now the case but we don't yet really know that it is, and they've already been intentionally wrong in this pandemic, so my level of trust is not especially high.

I would hate to have to say to anyone "I'm sorry some anti-vaxxer got you sick and you're dying from covid" but I think it would be at least as bad to say "I'm sorry we made it a law to get a vaccine that caused some people to develop massive autoimmune disorders ten years down the road, and you're one of them and you're dying."

Either way, life carries risk.

My experience with testing is frustration.
I called the number, talked to an RN, told them my wife and daughter had just tested positive.
I was booked for a test the next morning. Got there and the testing nurse asked about symptoms, I said not really and she proceeded to lambaste me about getting tested.
My staff and their spouses had either a nice testing nurse who was supportive of going through the process with empathy, or nurse Ratched, like me and my two daughters.
When I then took it up with our regional medical health officer, she said nurse Ratched was correct in stating that the outward policy is to only test those with symptoms, but the inward policy was to test anyone who actually bothered to show up at a testing centre.
MHO would not answer my direct question as to whether this was a political or medical decision. So, political.

So, I must agree with the sentiment that BC is not testing enough and not encouraging testing.

B.C. RCMP reveals locations of COVID-19 travel checkpoints​

m
Just open it back up for my June fishing trip lol.

I have a cabin near Princeton and haven’t been there all year. It’s pretty silly that I can’t go up there. I wouldn’t have to stop anywhere or talk to anyone. Might have to bring a piece of glass and some tools and write a letter to travel

The way I read it, if you don’t meet the criteria they ask you to turn around, if you won’t, that’s when a ticket would be issued.

I personally don’t have an issue with restrictions like this if they were logical and equitable. In this case, I’m not sure how allowing folks from Alberta where COVID infection rate is currently the worst in NA access to all of the Northern and Interior regions (interestingly an area significantly bigger than the whole prov of Alberta: 816k km2 Int + North vs 661k km2 Alberta) but folks can’t access less dense outdoor recreation areas. Yet another example of the majority doing the heavy lifting while the azzhatz that make these regs necessary will continue to flaunt them.

To all the folks who s deeply believe in the Feds spacing out doses. Have we not heard the argument on "REAL WORLD SCIENCE"? Well I would love to hear what you have to say about this... With the UK variant being the majority of cases now... As a country we are only 3% immunized with a second shot. This is like using kids "water wings" for a life jacket... So our government is worried about vaccinating kids who have a 99.99% chance full recovery, while our senior & baby boomers are still only partially vaccinated. This has turned into a political "Progressive"**** show of everyone expecting zero cases instead of keeping folks out of the hospital. Vaccine priority being given based on skin color, or socal status.. The government will lock us in our own houses, let our business and livleyhoods fall apart, while leaving the airports open to international travelers. The same travelers who have more rights to travel across the province then we do.

Our kids mental health is falling apart. We have our seniors trapped in homes not able to see their loved ones during their final days. Grandparents who have not seen grandkids in a year.. But we are vaccinating 20 yr olds & soon school kids. We will never reach herd immunity... How arrogant are we as a species that we think we can control a pandemic, or the climate. Its like saying we can control an earthquake.

"A new study has found spacing out doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is a lot riskier against variants running rampant than administering both jabs quicker. The study of close to 40,000 people in Qatar found that the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine was only 30% effective at preventing infection (either symptomatic or asymptomatic) by the B.1.1.7 variant, also known as the U.K. variant. The single shot was found to be 54.5% effective at preventing more serious results (“severe, critical or fatal”) according to the study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday. The study found those who have received two jabs of the vaccine had 87% protection against infection — increasing to 90% two weeks after the second dose — against the B.1.1.7 variant, which is extensively found in Ontario and Alberta.

To all the folks who s deeply believe in the Feds spacing out doses. Have we not heard the argument on "REAL WORLD SCIENCE"? Well I would love to hear what you have to say about this... With the UK variant being the majority of cases now... As a country we are only 3% immunized with a second shot. This is like using kids "water wings" for a life jacket... So our government is worried about vaccinating kids who have a 99.99% chance full recovery, while our senior & baby boomers are still only partially vaccinated. This has turned into a political "Progressive"**** show of everyone expecting zero cases instead of keeping folks out of the hospital. Vaccine priority being given based on skin color, or socal status.. The government will lock us in our own houses, let our business and livleyhoods fall apart, while leaving the airports open to international travelers. The same travelers who have more rights to travel across the province then we do.
This is what happens when bureaucrats and politicians override the science. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were studied at 21 and 28 day intervals respectively. Now that 12-15 year olds are approved I suppose they will get theirs before elderly people get their second shot. People over 75 NEVER should have had their doses delayed in favour of healthy young people at very little risk of a serious outcome.

Our kids mental health is falling apart. We have our seniors trapped in homes not able to see their loved ones during their final days. Grandparents who have not seen grandkids in a year.. But we are vaccinating 20 yr olds & soon school kids. We will never reach herd immunity... How arrogant are we as a species that we think we can control a pandemic, or the climate. Its like saying we can control an earthquake.

"A new study has found spacing out doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is a lot riskier against variants running rampant than administering both jabs quicker. The study of close to 40,000 people in Qatar found that the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine was only 30% effective at preventing infection (either symptomatic or asymptomatic) by the B.1.1.7 variant, also known as the U.K. variant. The single shot was found to be 54.5% effective at preventing more serious results (“severe, critical or fatal”) according to the study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday. The study found those who have received two jabs of the vaccine had 87% protection against infection — increasing to 90% two weeks after the second dose — against the B.1.1.7 variant, which is extensively found in Ontario and Alberta.

Couldn't agree more- average length of stay in long term care in BC 871 days. How many days does the average patient have left since the start of this? Vaccinating anyone under 50 except identified high risk people is just insanity at this point.

Great now we're back to old people again. Sorry but the millennial science is really getting old on here truthfully. Really hard to take seriously.

All citizens in BC are entitled to vaccines not just one age group. All citizens also have the right to be protected if there is a danger to health.

This calling out of people in long care homes needs to stop on here. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
It's not calling them out, it's prioritizing them first as they are significantly more at risk. Not just a little bit more at risk. Not sure what you're missing.

In other news the all powerful government is busy doing what they do best:

Everyone still trust them?

What are they hiding, I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back