13​
20 to 39
23​
40 to 49
50 to 59
60 to 69
70 to 79
80 plus

Our health care people say Covid deaths could double or more before it is brought under control.

Last edited by a moderator:
One really has to question some of these numbers though and this goes for right across the country. I believe to some great extent they are quite out to lunch. I mean take AB as of Nov 15 they had 0 yes 0 reported influenza cases. Are we to believe that or would the more logical answer be that anyone that comes in with such symptoms is automatically a Covid case.
An alternative to your idea is the steps we’ve taken to slow the spread of COVID-19 also helped prevent the flu from spreading. Washing our hands, wearing face masks, and physical distancing all help to contain influenza. We are at the beginning of flu season but this happened in Australia also as they just finished their flu season.

index.php

Another 911 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in B.C. and 11 more people have died, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced Friday.

The latest update also includes a new record of 301 patients in hospital with the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, including 69 in critical care. There are now 8,749 active cases of the virus across B.C.

Henry choked up as she spoke about the people who have died in the last 24 hours, saying that most were elderly, and all were loved by their families, friends and communities.

"I know we are all feeling the strain," she told British Columbians.

She asked everyone to treat others with compassion right now, understanding that you may not know what the people around you are going through. But the most important thing, she said, is to follow provincial orders and only socialize with your immediate household.

"Let's make this weekend a safe weekend for everybody," she said.

A total of 10,430 people are now under active public health monitoring and in self-isolation because of exposure to known COVID-19 cases.

To date, there have been 30,884 confirmed cases of the virus in B.C. and 395 people have died.

Friday's update includes three new outbreaks in the health-care system. There are now 54 active outbreaks in long-term care and five in hospitals.

Asked to explain why the pandemic's second wave has been so deadly, with case numbers, hospitalizations and deaths eclipsing what was seen in the spring, Henry said there are a few factors to consider.

"We're learning about this virus all the time," she said.

Like influenza, it appears the novel coronavirus is somewhat seasonal, spreading more easily in the fall and winter. The cooler weather and associated human behaviour also create prime conditions for the virus to spread — people are spending more time indoors, in poorly ventilated spaces, she said.

More here:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-update-nov-27-1.5795881

Any data on where the latest cases have occurred is it still happening largely in people’s homes?

Any data on where the latest cases have occurred is it still happening largely in people’s homes?

This is one of the major issues with our response in Canada. People need to be isolated once they test positive, not allowed to go home and infect their whole family. In New Zealand they are moved to a government managed quarantine facility...probably a little late to try that here at this point...

This is just a guess but my suspicion is that early next year they'll find a way to buy a small number of vaccines at a high price, say 300,000 or so because they'll be desperate to get the program rolling, and give those to (hopefully and presumably) front line workers, and then start on care homes.

I then expect the federal government to crow about how they're "protecting Canada's most vulnerable" and tout it as a major achievement, and get lauded for it by the CBC and other Canadian media outlets. Meanwhile Lithuania, Botswana and most of the American states we feel smug about will be reaching 50% vaccination rates around the same time, a fact which Canadians will completely ignore while high-fiving posters of Tommy Douglas.

And over the intervening years, nobody did. That doesn't make it the fault of the current government.
I don't blame them for not having that specific facility and I can't see why anyone would.

I blame them for not having the ability to think of a solution, like so many other countries managed to do. That was their responsibility, and they failed.

This is exactly why I oppose political tribalism...if you're still blaming Mulroney for the failure of the current government to come up with a solution, I don't think you're being very realistic about the range of solutions available and the responsibility of the people involved.

I'm not blaming anybody. Canada has lined up 300 million doses of vaccine from 9 suppliers to be received as they are produced and is getting the distribution network into place. We don't have first priority access because we don't have capacity to manufacture in country and frankly, sending the army to commandeer the doses allocated to other countries isn't going to get very far.

I'm not sure what else you think we should be doing; what are the range of other available solutions? What more could the people responsible have done?

I'm not blaming anybody. Canada has lined up 300 million doses of vaccine from 9 suppliers to be received as they are produced and is getting the distribution network into place. We don't have first priority access because we don't have capacity to manufacture in country and frankly, sending the army to commandeer the doses allocated to other countries isn't going to get very far.

I'm not sure what else you think we should be doing; what are the range of other available solutions? What more could the people responsible have done?
300 million doses? Really?

Man I was wondering why we had so many doses compared to other countries. Terdohfuckstickshithead kept bragging about how prepared we were. Seems like the writing was on the wall to them weeks ago and he was trying to find something to brag about.

That is the one question I have been wondering. We don't have the capacity to produce the vaccine in the country, but have acquired significant vaccines from suppliers that have capacity in other countries. Many countries will be in the exact same boat. Not really sure how it is expected to jump the queue at this point or in the past. I am sure there are some global diplomacy issues at play. Once again, I believe these issues are much more nuanced.

300 million doses? Really?
All purchases were arranged when no-one had yet nailed down a vaccine so clearly, they were covering their bases so they didn't end up backing the wrong horse. Vaccines not taken won't be paid for, but with the bases covered, we will end up with enough and will also be donating some excess to poorer countries that don't have access.

Edit just to add that Lithuania and Botswana won't be seeing vaccines before we do and are unlikely to see enough to vaccinate all their populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back