All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right about one thing, I have been following this thing closely. I have a lot of friends and family that are in the high risk groups and have grown fond of them over these years.:rolleyes: I have also shared, on numerous occasions, links to the official data that answers the question on how many cases are related to Canadian and other travelers that have arrived here in BC. I am also aware of the problems of playing the blame game that is happening here in BC with social media and what happens to innocent people.

Here is jpeg from the latest report.
index.php

Daily Surveillance report
http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/BC_Surveillance_Summary_May_21_2020_FINAL.pdf

There was also an article on the genetic study of Covid RNA that has tracked the spread here in Canada and across the world. I'll look to see if I can find it but if memory servers here in BC the first case came from someone that was returning from China that did not have symptoms until a few days into their 14 day quarienteen. That line of transmission stopped with them. The next one was from someone returning from Iran. Not sure what happened with that line of transmission but I think that line was also stopped. The line of transmission that concerns us now is the lines that came from Washington State. Like I said I'll have a look if I can find the article so take what I just wrote with the knowledge that I'm just going from memory and I reserve the right to claim oldtimers.:D
I think you’re missing the point. If the screening was and perhaps still is inefficient in detecting cases and there was no mandatory testing, or quarantine ( until recently), of course the pretty charts won’t substantiate the information I’m talking about, they failed to collect any Valid data! As you yourself point out a person was asymptomatic until a few days after quarantine, how many others were in the earlier stages and skipped quarantine? A quarantine that was not even mentioned to many travellers on arrival as well as being self monitored for how long after we knew there was an issue?
It’s undeniable that Covid arrived here from international travel, it is also undeniable that anyone who claims to know how many cases arrived in BC, in the absence of any mandatory testing or even until recently any real formal screening or mandatory quarantine, is simply guessing. To now say some of it is community transmission now is great, but To deny patient X or should I say X’s brought it into the country originally is total BS.

Went today to the strip mall by my work to get lunch, could not find parking.

Nail Solon, hair cut, pizza, insurance, vape shop all open.

Seems like things are back to normal.

There is a covid-19 map on Google that shows the number of cases and deaths in each country. Divide the deaths by the number of millions of people in that country and you get the per million number. The country that famously did not shut down its economy and lock its citizens in their homes, Sweden, is in the middle of the pact. Their numbers are average.

Some interesting numbers:

Covid deaths per 1 million:

Belgium: 808

Spain: 596

UK: 545

Italy: 541

Sweden: 387

US: 287

Canada: 166

Germany: 103

Source: https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

I am not posting this to prove anything or push a opinion. I just thought it was Interesting.

However I do understand there are a huge amount of factors that will affect this data.

Korea's resurgence, affecting thousands of people, was at night clubs. Why do event organizers not understand their business poses the same huge risk to all the effort everyone has put in so far to keep the lid on C-19?
Why do reporters keep asking the same question wasting valuable time?

Man who has 'recovered' from COVID-19 explains how its impact goes far beyond death tolls
https://megaphone.upworthy.com/p/man-covid-19-recovery
13 years ago I joined the walking wounded who cancer did not kill. I relate to this story.
Life is often hard, don't make it harder for yourself or someone else.
Be kind, be calm, stay safe.
"This is not an all-or-nothing virus. It’s not “you die” or “you don’t die.” When we see the numbers of people who’ve “recovered from COVID19” posted to illustrate how it’s not that bad, those numbers don’t take the lingering health issues and symptoms into account."

In British Columbia, to date there are 2,517 confirmed cases of CoVID-19, whereas by comparison, in one 3 week period (December 15, 2019 to January 4, 2020) there were 9,112 confirmed cases of Influenza, 56% of which were Influenza A, a very harmful virus which affects children more adversely than those over 65. (I am digging up the # of deaths during this same time)

Have we compromised our liberty and economic welfare solely on the basis that CoVid-19, unlike the Influenza virus, can be contained by a general 'lockdown' of the population?

I will be honest that I am even starting to wonder... I'm not trying to push the idea, but I do think its healthy to ask questions & have the conversation.

It's an interesting situation all right...we've sure treated it as though it's a giant disaster but I don't know if we'll ever have a good sense of which steps were warranted and which were not.

In Canada the tendency is to look at the US and say "so much worse there, we're way better off" but you know, if you subtract NYC and suburbs, they have about the same casualty rate as we do, possibly less. I believe NYC and its suburbs represent around 3/8 of all the deaths in the country.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a big surge of fatalities in two weeks as the result of Memorial Day Weekend but personally I suspect there won't be. There will probably be scattered effects but nothing definitive and I think that'll be a tipping point for a lot of people because they'll say "if Havasu and LOTO didn't generate mass fatalities, and everyone was drunk and standing in a lake together...how come I can't go to work?"

I don't find that to be an unreasonable question, personally.

In British Columbia, to date there are 2,517 confirmed cases of CoVID-19, whereas by comparison, in one 3 week period (December 15, 2019 to January 4, 2020) there were 9,112 confirmed cases of Influenza, 56% of which were Influenza A, a very harmful virus which affects children more adversely than those over 65. (I am digging up the # of deaths during this same time)

Have we compromised our liberty and economic welfare solely on the basis that CoVid-19, unlike the Influenza virus, can be contained by a general 'lockdown' of the population?

I will be honest that I am even starting to wonder... I'm not trying to push the idea, but I do think its healthy to ask questions & have the conversation.

Two things:

1) If we didn't take the measures we did, the numbers would be much worse. Someone said at the beginning, of this is that if we do a good job, this should seem like an overreaction (I think that is where we are in BC, with some extreme luck too) I think this important. Also, were they distancing over Christmas, I think very much the opposite.

2) If we didn't take the measures we did, and the numbers were way worse and we lost family/friends to Covid-19 how would our reaction to the government be then? Would we be screaming that they should have acted?
I think people's reactions change greatly when it impacts them personally ie loss of family or friend.

We won't really know until this all done which would have been the best course of action. Really hard to put economic $$ signs on people, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one making that call. So, if we shut down now we lose 1% of GDP that will cost us 10,000 lives. Or we don't shut down and lose 50,000 and keep the GDP cruising along.

I disagree, my post indicates that we have a short window here to figure out what worked and what did not.
We do not have the choice of full on shut down, again.
This is not putting $$$ on people, this is about mere survival of society.
Our modern society is very expensive, shutting it all down has caused irreparable damage to individuals, not just monetary.
The elective and non-urgent surgeries that were cancelled have real people that continue to be in pain and misery.

Up until now, BC was in a learning curve and did very well with the reaction so far, we need to move beyond that and plan for the second wave.
And that plan cannot include shutting down everything, again.

I don't even pretend to understand why things around covid are done they way they are done any more.

I disagree, my post indicates that we have a short window here to figure out what worked and what did not.
We do not have the choice of full on shut down, again.
This is not putting $$$ on people, this is about mere survival of society.
Our modern society is very expensive, shutting it all down has caused irreparable damage to individuals, not just monetary.
The elective and non-urgent surgeries that were cancelled have real people that continue to be in pain and misery.

Up until now, BC was in a learning curve and did very well with the reaction so far, we need to move beyond that and plan for the second wave.
And that plan cannot include shutting down everything, again.

I don't disagree that we need to come up with a plan now with the data we have. My comments are more that there wasn't good data when this started. The restrictions were adopted as they went using the data available. I also agree, that shutting down surgeries etc impacted other people's quality of life. There really is no "winning" with this.

Here are some stats to chew on.

“In Canada, 95 per cent of fatalities from COVID are from those over the age of 60, 80 per cent are in care facilities, and the risk of death from COVID for people under 65 is 0.006 per cent.

What we are learning is that younger people, although not completely immune, have a rate of mortality related to COVID that is no higher than their general mortality rate from other illnesses.

“For most Canadians, the risk of death from other pathogens, accidents and traffic fatalities is actually higher than it is for COVID.”

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/br...oung/wcm/c43cc1d5-56ce-4662-8f7a-2bc759528aea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back