All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nonsense. Ivison is trying to make, at best, a mountain out of a molehill or at worst pushing red meat to the uninformed base to score political points. They need to firm up the base to stop the bleeding. Stuff like this does explain why the conservatives are constantly dropping in the polls IMHO. I think Canadians are smarter than this and can see right through it.
I think after we were told earlier on that flights were being monitored and passengers screened, only later to find that was a lie, may have influenced how people feel about International travellers. Remember how the government claimed to be screening passengers but it turned out they were asked 4 questions or not even talked to at all. Until the Provincial governments stepped in it was pretty much still an open border. You don’t need a medical degree to realize if infected people are turned loose into the general population, all the previous self isolation is pretty much wasted. If a quarter million people are actually arriving, how are they being screened? What if they’re Asymptomatic? I confess I’m concerned about how International travellers are being screened and after being lied to once...........

"Police agencies across Canada conducted more than a thousand “physical verification” checks in April to make sure people in mandatory isolation due to the risk of novel coronavirus weren’t violating quarantine, Global News has learned."

"Police agencies across Canada conducted more than a thousand “physical verification” checks in April to make sure people in mandatory isolation due to the risk of novel coronavirus weren’t violating quarantine, Global News has learned."

That still leaves over 200,000 that were not checked. Currently they are allowing flights from China & USA still. Folks can come to Canada to visit family.

Recently the National Research Council (NRC) announced that Canadian researchers will be partnering with the Chinese based CanSino Biologics and in extension the People’s Liberation Army to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus.

President of Concerned Ontario Doctors Dr. Kulvinder Gill spoke out against the deal, saying that partnering with China is “the most counterproductive and dangerous thing [the federal government] could do.”

https://tnc.news/2020/05/20/toronto...-vaccine-with-china-puts-canadians-in-danger/

Someone should do the math on this one.

"In Canada, the individual rate of death from COVID-19 for people under 65 years of age is six per million people, or 0.0006 per cent. This is roughly equivalent to the risk of dying from a motor vehicle accident during the same time period. In other countries where data are available, 0.6-2.6 per cent of deaths in people below age 65 have occurred in people without known underlying health conditions."

Are they serious that they think this is a good idea?

"Germany, for example, chose a local threshold of 50 new cases per 100,000 population per week for when reinstitution of lockdown measures must be considered based on local capacity. The Ontario equivalent using the same threshold would be 7,300 new cases per week, or 1,043 per day. In contrast, Ontario has recommended a much lower provincewide threshold of 200 new community cases of infections per day as a threshold for action."

Oh wait they are Sweden proponents. Problem is we will run out of the over 65's.

"Will this approach cost more deaths? Sweden, which allowed for more community transmission, is the measure of this strategy. More deaths per capita did occur than in Canada. On the positive side, Sweden’s number of new cases has peaked and Sweden will be better protected against future waves and the need for future restrictions."

index.php

Last edited:
I think after we were told earlier on that flights were being monitored and passengers screened, only later to find that was a lie, may have influenced how people feel about International travellers. Remember how the government claimed to be screening passengers but it turned out they were asked 4 questions or not even talked to at all. Until the Provincial governments stepped in it was pretty much still an open border. You don’t need a medical degree to realize if infected people are turned loose into the general population, all the previous self isolation is pretty much wasted. If a quarter million people are actually arriving, how are they being screened? What if they’re Asymptomatic? I confess I’m concerned about how International travellers are being screened and after being lied to once...........

By International travellers do you include Canadians returning home because that's who they were. Dr. Henry said we should welcome them and not be afraid. I'll go with her on that one. I recall that it was thought that there were around 2 million Canadians abroad when these travel restrictions were imposed. I know of three of them and 1 has chosen to stay where they are as he is building a house and the other 2 came home a went into 2 week quarantine and were more then happy to do that.
How many confirmed covid case are related to travel here in BC? Take a guess.

EYkvoRKVAAIBrz6

Last edited:
By International travellers do you include Canadians returning home because that's who they were. Dr. Henry said we should welcome them and not be afraid. I'll go with her on that one. I recall that it was thought that there were around 2 million Canadians abroad when these travel restrictions were imposed. I know of three of them and 1 has chosen to stay where they are as he is building a house and the other 2 came home a went into 2 week quarantine and were more then happy to do that.
Yeah,International travellers by definition would be people who travel between two or more countries. I personally don’t think Covid cares about citizenship when looking for a ride. As to how many confirmed Covid cases are related to travel here in BC, all of them, unless you think Covid also started here, as opposed to the Medical experts theory that it started in China. Bonnie Henry said don’t fear foreign travellers, but she never advocated for an open Border policy, those are two different things. Also remember she said this after a lot of protocols that were sadly lacking at the start of the outbreak had been put in place because we had been dealing with the virus for some time already.
As for how many confirmed Covid cases are related to travel. Did you mean how many travellers tested positive on arrival? If so I agree you’d have to take a guess, because travellers weren’t routinely tested . Fact is there was little or no screening in place even though our Federal Government claimed there was? How many were infected? No one will ever know, but safe to say at least one. You have been following this very closely so I’ll ask you, what percentage of travellers were tested on arrival for Covid? Do you think screening at the border was adequate? Do you seriously believe International travel was not responsible for the spread of Covid 19? Do you advise our Prime Minister Lol, because he seems to share the same view.

Before we go down the path of debating who's information is absolute truth and try to answer each other's questions around the semantics of who, how, where, when, and why, let's just acknowledge that people a lot more expert in their field, who are deeply involved in dealing with this virus, are not even close to having all the answers yet.
Let's also acknowledge that many things have been handled well in dealing with this virus and many other things could have been handled better. In situations like this where there isn't much time to study what might be the best route to take, when making these decisions on the fly, I think that is a typical scenario. It is always easy to draw the map looking out the back window.
When it comes to the border conversation, I am not involved in the day to day decisions so can't say I know for certain who is allowed into Canada and who isn't. I do know from personal relationships of two recent scenarios involving returning to Canada.
First, my cousin and his wife who maintain a residence in the US, returned home to BC about 10 days ago. It was not straight forward as there are very few flights available and their flights were cancelled on 4 occasions before they finally made it home to self quarantine for 14 days. By the way, this was from a major US destination where there would normally be multiple flights daily, so none of this was routine in any way.
The second scenario involves a couple we know who also winter in the US. In this situation one of them is a Canadian citizen and the other one American. Even though they are married, they are not allowed across the border, by air or land, due to the fact they are not both Canadian citizens. The one that is Canadian could come back to Canada but would have to leave their spouse behind.
I don't know if this is the same scenario that everyone is experiencing that is coming into Canada right now, but I know there are still Canadians trying to get back to Canada, like my cousin, and others who are not being allowed like our friends. I guess my point is, I don't think it is always easy to discern what is fact in news coverage these days, but I know the story of these two couples is real because I have heard first hand from their lips.

Yeah,International travellers by definition would be people who travel between two or more countries. I personally don’t think Covid cares about citizenship when looking for a ride. As to how many confirmed Covid cases are related to travel here in BC, all of them, unless you think Covid also started here, as opposed to the Medical experts theory that it started in China. Bonnie Henry said don’t fear foreign travellers, but she never advocated for an open Border policy, those are two different things. Also remember she said this after a lot of protocols that were sadly lacking at the start of the outbreak had been put in place because we had been dealing with the virus for some time already.
As for how many confirmed Covid cases are related to travel. Did you mean how many travellers tested positive on arrival? If so I agree you’d have to take a guess, because travellers weren’t routinely tested . Fact is there was little or no screening in place even though our Federal Government claimed there was? How many were infected? No one will ever know, but safe to say at least one. You have been following this very closely so I’ll ask you, what percentage of travellers were tested on arrival for Covid? Do you think screening at the border was adequate? Do you seriously believe International travel was not responsible for the spread of Covid 19? Do you advise our Prime Minister Lol, because he seems to share the same view.

You are right about one thing, I have been following this thing closely. I have a lot of friends and family that are in the high risk groups and have grown fond of them over these years.:rolleyes: I have also shared, on numerous occasions, links to the official data that answers the question on how many cases are related to Canadian and other travelers that have arrived here in BC. I am also aware of the problems of playing the blame game that is happening here in BC with social media and what happens to innocent people.

Here is jpeg from the latest report.
index.php

Daily Surveillance report
http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/BC_Surveillance_Summary_May_21_2020_FINAL.pdf

There was also an article on the genetic study of Covid RNA that has tracked the spread here in Canada and across the world. I'll look to see if I can find it but if memory servers here in BC the first case came from someone that was returning from China that did not have symptoms until a few days into their 14 day quarienteen. That line of transmission stopped with them. The next one was from someone returning from Iran. Not sure what happened with that line of transmission but I think that line was also stopped. The line of transmission that concerns us now is the lines that came from Washington State. Like I said I'll have a look if I can find the article so take what I just wrote with the knowledge that I'm just going from memory and I reserve the right to claim oldtimers.:D

The next one was from someone returning from Iran. Not sure what happened with that line of transmission but I think that line was also stopped.

It was not stopped, she went to a funeral and sent her kids to school after being told to stay home. Also a bunch of hospital workers were exposed because wearing PPE was not a normal thing at the time.

They did Contract tracing on her case but i dont no if you can say they stopped it.

I have heard of family members coming to visit.
I think you are misinformed as the border has been closed to non essential travel for over a month.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...test-travel-health-advice.html?topic=tilelink

This also includes visiting families. My sister's neighbor has her parents flying in from Iran to come stay with them. They are supposed arrive this week. She lives in an apparent down town Calgary. These apartments have been Covid hotspots in the city. Pepole take the dog out to go bathroom and the dogs are living "swiffers" collecting viruses in the hallways.

Honestly not all 200,000 international passengers are Canadian citizens. You need to look into it your self and see who is getting let in.

Folks are worried about pepole coming in from different towns or different parts of the country. That's a faking joke as our federal government is letting folks travel from outside the country.

A woman in NFLD missed her mothers funeral because the province stopped her from coming in. But it's ok for folks to fly family in from outside the country to visit.

The NFLD case is now going to court and will smash the idea that provinces can control the boarder to travel with in Canada. Under the charter we can travel as we wish throughout OUR country. Some of these Premiers need a wake up call and a reminder on how our Charter works.

Ya austerity is so stupid. I mean Greece is a prime example of why we dont have to worry.

Its terrible how all those pepole who actually pay taxes are concerned about how they have to pay for this in the future.

I'm mean dont budgets balance themself?

Can't compare it to Greece they were handcuffed by the EU. They could not print money and devalue their currency because the EU central bank controls them.

Zimbabwe or Vanswala might be a better example but given the fact that every country in the world is doing the same thing right now it might not be a fair comparison. Im no monetary expert tho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back