Algae Bloom

B

bhemi

I live in Vancouver and fish around here when I can. There has been a massive algae bloom the last few days. The water looks like strong tea. Does this affect the fishing? I believe algae only live as deep as the sunlight penetrates. I was wondering if it put the fish of feeding for any reason.

Most types of algae are harmless to salmon, but there are some that can clog up a salmon's gills and/or produce toxins that become harmful in large concentrations. My guess is that fish farms would be more susceptible to algae problems as the salmon can not escape to deeper waters.

I went fishing out of Ucluelet last weekend. We noticed the large patch of strange green water that was just offshore. The two weeks before we came up the fishing was great, when we showed up it had slowed down considerably. I think it could be due in part, not to the algae bloom itself, but the warmer water temperatures that caused it to start up in the first place.

Can't say I like this trend of warmer water temps. It does not bode well for salmon fishing at all! :( :([V]

Back