alex morton

I hold a diploma of mechanical engineering technology from Camosun college and have my own design business. But when I did my co-op I went back and finished my education, and work in the field... LOL! My point is discrediting a scientists work especially on their findings is invalid as far as I am concerned unless you hold the same educational background/experience. I trust what she says, and unless you can prove by data what she says is not true your points don't convince me sorry. Working on a farm doesn't count.

Ok, so you don't do anything related to fish and consider Morton a scientist?

I just want to be sure so I don't waste any more time typing responses...

She has a doctorate in marine biology CK what do you do?? throw pellets into a fishpen full of pathogens?.. i think most of us would take her word over yours..

Ok, so you don't do anything related to fish and consider Morton a scientist?

I just want to be sure so I don't waste any more time typing responses...

That is another typical insidious and contemptible attack on Morton so typical of you and your kind CK!!

She has a Ph.D. and has published papers with other respected scientists in peer reviewed science journals. And by your own admission in this thread you dropped out of college. And you consider yourself capable of judging her science credentials!! Your arrogance and sheer gall is appalling!!

Here we go again. Just give up already and go away. You guys (ck Costello, birdsnest, Dave) actually deteriorate the quality of this forum and just turn it into a pile of crap......much like you do to the bottom of the ocean.

That is another typical insidious and contemptible attack on Morton so typical of you and your kind CK!!

She has a Ph.D. and has published papers with other respected scientists in peer reviewed science journals. And by your own admission in this thread you dropped out of college. And you consider yourself capable of judging her science credentials!! Your arrogance and sheer gall is appalling!!
I wouldn't worry too much about what he has to say - has made it clear his agenda - lucked into a full time job through a practicum, dropped out, now realizes this is the only thing he knows and must fight for survival so he doesn't end up flipping burgers. Logical, understandable, but disappointing.

LOL!

I was at VIU doing a BSc/Aquaculture Tech program when I came out here for my summer practicum - and never went back, so nothing here.

I guess some people would rather be out working than sinking deeper into student loan debt.

Shouldn't really change the veracity or validity of my points though.

Unless you're just looking for reasons to disregard anything that does not fit your world-view...

But it does change the veracity and validity of your posts because you are obviously not qualified to judge the science myself and others keep posting here.
That is why you never post any links to science and ignore those that do. You have a world view that is ignorant of science and ecology and understand only PR and "so-called" economics (the kind that externalises all costs and impacts into "the environment").

Now hold on you guys, high five has clearly raised the bar here by posting his qualifications as we have ours. What are your quilifications rockdog, jeffy and anyone else who cares to comment. What do you do for employment?
Again, I totally respect your right to privacy so I don't really expect to get much response to the question. Makes me so curious as to why. Is it privacy or is it total lack of qualification? I am totally unqualified even tho I have been working with biologists, veterinarians, hatcheries, Maff, DFO for 20 years.

She has a doctorate in marine biology CK what do you do?? throw pellets into a fishpen full of pathogens?.. i think most of us would take her word over yours..

Actually, she has a 2 year Bachelor of Arts (or science - depending on where you look - apparently at a US hearing, she herself said it was art) degree at "American University" from 1977.

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Schedule/

Her RPBio status was recently removed and the PhD she was honoured by SFU with has been explained like this:

“SFU honorary degree recipients (HDRs) are addressed as “Doctor/Dr.” in all correspondence from the university and while at SFU events or on campus. However, it is not [emphasis ours] correct for HDRs to refer to themselves as Dr., nor should they use the title on business cards or in correspondence. However, the recipient is entitled to use the degree title behind their name, for example: John Doe, LL.D. (Hon.)”

But it does change the veracity and validity of your posts because you are obviously not qualified to judge the science myself and others keep posting here.
That is why you never post any links to science and ignore those that do. You have a world view that is ignorant of science and ecology and understand only PR and "so-called" economics (the kind that externalises all costs and impacts into "the environment").

Sure. Whatever you say.

I forgot - never question, just follow and fund.

So sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
data is what moves my opinions, not emotion. now if the naysayers can post up links to peer reviewed research articles that support their contentions, I would happy to read all of them.

until then, opinions are what all of us have and they don't mean a damn thing in the world of science.

I never claimed to be an expert, only claimed to have an opinion, which i am entitled to am i not? my opinion about the aquaculture industry was formed long before salmon confidential was ever released that much i assure you.

When it comes to where the Russians get pissed off at Norwegian fish farms.......you know something's up......

I never claimed to be an expert, only claimed to have an opinion, which i am entitled to am i not? my opinion about the aquaculture industry was formed long before salmon confidential was ever released that much i assure you.

Thats fine and I am all about sharing opinions here too but as high five and englishman are supporting, your opinion is worthless if you are not qualified. I am actually apposed to this idea and am throwing it back in the faces of the anti crowd and I see that they are not forthcoming on there credentials and that is what I expected. Its a real catch 22 in the discussion because suddenly nobody is qualified to comment. Except for the master of the cut and paste because they appear to understand all of it but i suspect few of them have even set foot on a fish farm. Correct me if I'm wrong which is something morton never says.

The majority of scientific opinion says that the earth is round.

What credentials do you need to accept this proposition?

data is what moves my opinions, not emotion. now if the naysayers can post up links to peer reviewed research articles that support their contentions, I would happy to read all of them.

until then, opinions are what all of us have and they don't mean a damn thing in the world of science.

Exactly reelfast!!

And I posted a whole bunch of links to scientific papers earlier in this thread right here.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?24144-alex-morton/page2

On other threads Charlie and Agent Aqua (among others) have posted many links to other scientific papers. The fish feed lot proponents response is always one of the following:-
a) Ignore it and pretend it does not exist.
b) Claim that the science is out of date without actually posting links to new peer reviewed data.
c) Post their opinions as though they carried the same validity and weight as the peer review science
d) Attack the integrity of the scientists and their motivations
e) Change the subject.

Anyway, happy reading!

Thats fine and I am all about sharing opinions here too but as high five and englishman are supporting, your opinion is worthless if you are not qualified. I am actually apposed to this idea and am throwing it back in the faces of the anti crowd and I see that they are not forthcoming on there credentials and that is what I expected. Its a real catch 22 in the discussion because suddenly nobody is qualified to comment. Except for the master of the cut and paste because they appear to understand all of it but i suspect few of them have even set foot on a fish farm. Correct me if I'm wrong which is something morton never says.

Birdsnest you are wrong. NO one is qualified to have an opinion on science matters who is not qualified in that area of science. Neither you nor I are qualified to have an "opinion" on the age of the earth, evolution, or quantum mechanics. Science is NOT opinion. It is fact verified by peer reviewed research and data.

Many scientific papers have been published on the deleterious effects of fish feed lots. Your opinion as to the accuracy and merits of these papers has no meaning, any more than your medical "opinion" about the state of anyone's health has any validity whatsoever.

There are to many examples to call you out on this. First if I work in a hospital lung cancer ward I likely know allot about lung cancer even if I am a nurse. If I am the stick boy for the Canucks I likely know allot about the nhl. If i am a janitor at the vancouver aquarium I likely know more about the animals there than most people. If i am secretary in the hospital I know far more about the hospital than the average walk in.
If I am a dentist assistant I know far more about dentistry than the guy getting the drill.
I know you will try to discredit my opinion at all cost but the reality is I know stuff about salmon farms because I work on them. You may post all the links you like of which many I cant help but to notice have the DONATE button but it does not mean they are correct. Funny you didn't post the cohen commision because I cant imagine that your links didn't get reviewed there. After a 26 million$ review the response from cohen sure isn't going off on your links like you do. THat says something to me. IT was mortons idea to do the enquiry and now you dont post it. Its the all time complete summary of all research ever done submitted and reviewed. This was done for the public so I feel good in the content of the report. Which does not say the sky is falling like you always are, mr science guy with the tunnel vision.

Birdsnest you are wrong. NO one is qualified to have an opinion on science matters who is not qualified in that area of science. Neither you nor I are qualified to have an "opinion" on the age of the earth, evolution, or quantum mechanics. Science is NOT opinion. It is fact verified by peer reviewed research and data.

Many scientific papers have been published on the deleterious effects of fish feed lots. Your opinion as to the accuracy and merits of these papers has no meaning, any more than your medical "opinion" about the state of anyone's health has any validity whatsoever.

So where is Morton qualified in any way to speculate on fish pathology, virology or any of the other topics she routinely bloviates about?

As far as I can tell the only reason she had her name on any of those papers is because she went out and caught the fish.

That is a double-edged sword you are swinging there....

Maybe that's why this one gets so much play:

Morton_Wrong_Again.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, let me see. The people of Norway are turning on the fish farms, Russia is now on them, the people of BC are against them, looks like the east coast is now turning against them, Chile isn't very happy I'm sure with what happened there, the US has issues... I can't believe all those people just won't listen to James Costello in Clayoquot Sound, because he has all the answers and fish farms are good for everyone.
Remember though, only eat 1 per month.
How come marine harvest, or Mainstream doesn't have a public forum on their website? Probably a more suitable place to take this topic to.

Back