After fishing

wayne marwood

Crew Member
After a day fishing do you take all your gear off before getting to the dock,I have a friend that takes all his gear off all tackle is put away so no one know what he was using that day

This forum to me is about helping me and others be better fisherman. I have no problem letting guys know what worked for me. Yes I put all my tackle away but I fish maybe twice a month. 3 when sockeye are around lol.
Unfortunately your friend feels differently.

I put everything away and even clean my fish on the boat, not that I'm hiding anything just less hassle at the dock and I'm not holding anyone up. I'm like Viking nothing to hide and more then willing to help people out.

I love watching guys act all secretive about their techniques and presentations. They're the jealous covetous types.

That being said, I also love to use a bit of misdirection and troll people with odd ball gear out on display. Usually it's the guys I just mentioned who are watching to see what you use, so I don't mind.

I take all my gear off and then tie on and parade the ruby-eyed wigglers on my rods. Happy to share if someone asks.

I take all my gear off and then tie on and parade the ruby-eyed wigglers on my rods. Happy to share if someone asks.
Ruby Eyed Wigglers work great for Lingcod!

s562511878356124186_p2100_i15_w160.jpeg

Only reason for removing my gear is to wash and dry to try and preserve it a little longer. If someone wants to know what I'm using, ill be the first one to tell them. Just ask Stizzla.

My gear that was used that day is in fresh water while returning to the dock. I clean and dry my gear before putting it away.
I'm willing to share info with other fishermen and even gave a guy one of my pre-rigged hootchies that was working well that particular day. I was arriving at the dock and he was heading out. I hoped that hoochie was productive for him.

Don't get the 'ole "hiding what you used back at the dock" thing. I very much appreciate it when other people share with me what works for them. One of the best ways I can show my appreciation is to pay it forward to others by also sharing. My one caveat is if I get back to the dock and there is some drunk loud mouth jerk pumping me for info. All bets off at that point.

It's been my experience that for the most part people that become good anglers also become more appreciative of the fishery and the role that their behavior and ethics can play in protecting it. If I can help in some small way to get them there quicker so much the better.

With that all said my routine at the end of a day's fishing is to remove all gear and put it in a bucket to be rinsed in freshwater. All tackle used that day is inspected for sharpness, leader quality, etc. Anything that doesn't pass muster gets put in the recycle bucket. I then strip 20' or so off of each reel used and discard. Boat get a complete cleaning while my mate cleans fish and shares info at the cleaning table. Once everything is ship shape for the next day and the catch is on ice then it's off for an adult beverage or two.

Last edited:
“With that all said my routine at the end of a day's fishing is to remove all gear and put it in a bucket to be rinsed in freshwater. All tackle used that day is inspected for sharpness, leader quality, etc. Anything that doesn't pass muster gets put in therecycle bucket.”

This!

Cheers!

Ukee

Back