Advice on rod & reel for my kids

MadJigga

I’m looking to get my kids aged 4 & 6 their own setups for fishing. I’m thinking smaller level winds and possibly trevala’s for the rods. I’d like the set ups to be able to be used for both bottom fishing and salmon as well. I’m thinking light and ease of use.

Children at those ages are really only interested in lots of action, and ease of use, They want something that is easy to catch and can catch lots. Salmon fishing can be very boring for the younger set. If you want them to continue fishing with you, you need to make it something they can do easily with lots of success. Start them of with rockfish and other near shore fish. Use a jig on a short spinning rod with a small open faced spinning reel. A small rock cod is really exciting for them to catch and they will be enthusiastic about fishing with heir dad. Be sure to use barbless hooks as you will be constantly releasing them. Something like a Shakespeare Ugly stick GX 2 Dock runner Spinning Combo 36 inch. is all you need to start them off.

I bought my boys a couple light weight spinning rods for jigging. 7’ fenwick and a 5000 series Shimano (10.6 oz). They can jig all day with this rod.

Islander makes a woman's mooching real, when the fish pulls, the nob doesn't spin. So I just set the tension and its great. My wife and son share it. My son has brought in a bunch of pinks with it. Having said that he hates fishing and so does my wife. He likes fishing off the dock, she hates everything about it. Waves, time it takes,

I use an okuma cold water low profile reel with a lamiglass classic rod. The reel has a line counter which I find helps with the attention of my kid. I always tell him to keep an eye on it and tell me when it gets to 50ft. It also has a loud clicker which I find helps as I can always tell when he’s actually gaining line or if the fish is stripping line. The rod has great action and it’s not overly long as well. Landed a few 25lb salmon on it.

I bought my son (7 at the time now 8) an ugly stick with a Penn level wind. He caught some Lings and things and it was easy to help him manage. However I was surprised how well he did with his first Chinook on a TR3 and full size rod, sometimes they’ll surprise you!

I got my kids a Mitchell 782 about 35 years ago. It's a non knuckle buster single action. They require annual re-oiling of the clutches and work great as long as you do the maintenance. They're good for anyone not familiar with a knuckle buster single action reel. Don't know if they're still available.

Back