Advice on repower

Miss Maizy

Hello, I'm new here and thought this would be a good place for advice. I have a 2002 17 1/2 foot double eagle. It needs a new motor. The one on it is a 90 hp Evinrude but it is headed for the dump. I'm looking at the Evinrude etec 150 (433lbs) and the Evinrude G2 150 (512lbs). The boat is rated for a 150 but my not so better half has concerns about the weight. Does any one here have any thoughts on putting this much weight on the transom? Too much? We do load up our boat pretty good with prawning gear in the winter and haul around some not so slim friends. Thanks for reading and I hope you can help.

If you had a 90 hp should not a 115 e tec be ample.Should be lots of power and a up grade.E tec also comes in a 130 hp engine at 405 lbs. Good luck.

Last edited:
We did consider it and thought that the 90 was way under powered. Everyone had to run to the front of the boat when we wanted to get it up in a plane.

I had an 18 ft Houston with pod with a 115 and 8hp yam 4 strokes on it 3 guys and all our prawn stuff and it would be a little slow out of the hole but over 35mph a different prop would help the hole shot overall lots of power for that size boat.

I have the 17 6 de with a 90 Honda used to own a 172 hourston with a 115 both work well and the 90 seems to have ample power but that being said if I repower I will definitely go 115 it's a perfect power for the boat

I also had a 17' Tyee with a 115 HP 2 stroke Merc and it was perfect for the boat. Also don't forget if you hang a kicker on there you are adding another 100 lbs. That is well over 500 lbs of engines on the stern. In my opinion that may be to much.

I find the 176 de can Handle the extra weight well the windshield is a little forward which gives less storage up front than on my hourston but is better balanced than the hourston for weight aft . The 185 de is not balanced as well as the 176 by putting the cudy up front they made the boat a little heavy aft you'll have no problem with a 115 and 9.9 4 stroke on the back of a 176

We did consider it and thought that the 90 was way under powered

Keep in mind, your 90 is/was pretty old and tired. Probably not putting out the power it did in its prime...

As a wildcard, a 115hp Tohatsu (TLDI 2 stroke) is 392lbs. If you have a Tohatsu dealer/service local to you, it could be worth a look for good value?

115 should be perfect. Have spent a few days on a friends 18.5 DE with kicker and the 115 yammy pushes fine. Doesn't feel aft heavy and trolls/rides well in the water.

Go too your nearest Suzuki dealer and have a look and chat with them about weight and hp. I just repowered with a new 140hp and love it.. No one can come close to the price they have right now with a 6 yr warranty.. Deal is on till the end of Sept. Buddy said they are flying out the door !!

Don't go more than 115. Way to much power and not necessary on 175 DE. It will drag your transom down. They sit butt heavy as is.

I had a 1998 Double Eagle 176 it had a 2007 150hp Etec on it perfect match. I also had a 8hp Johnson on the transom and 2 batteries in the back corners no issues with weight. I loved the power when I needed it. Cruised at 3500rpm and going 35mph or if want more speed 4000rpm going 40mph it was awesome you can get places quick burning not much fuel. Topped out at 60mph. I sold that boat got a 2006 185 Double Eagle and put that etec on it. The Etec sat nicer on the 176 then the 185.
My buddy just repowered his 176 with a 115hp after his first family outing 2 adults and 3 kids he phoned me and said he was hoping for more. He also had a 90hp before.
I say 150hp because the boat is made for it and can handle it no problem.
This is a picture of the boat in the water with the 150hp look at the engine well lots of room weight is not an issue.
PM if you want.

Attachments

• 176.JPG
    176.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I had a 1989 17 ft Double Eagle with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke and a 9.9 4 stroke, which I guided from and had myself and 3 guys in it all the time. It had a 20 gallon in floor gas tank as well. It had plenty of power and topped out at 42 mph with a 17 pitch prop. They are prone to sitting butt low if you put much more weight on the transom. With the 115 it was balanced well and would actually give you better ride at close to wide open throttle when you launched off of waves. The entry was smoother the faster you went...it would land at the stern first and then the rest of the hull would settle in...like a double landing.

My 1991 DE has 90 2 stroke. It has plenty of power with 3 adults.
A 115 4 stroke would be ideal and go like stink.
Not sure why you would need a 150.

Where is you fuel tank?
Mine is in the back and is 90 ltrs.
Plus kicker, plus battery.

Good luck with your purchase. Prices should be good right now.
Yamaha has some rebates going.

Back