Advice on battery replacement

I have used Costco starting/deep cycle batteries and they have never failed me. After 5-6 years they are replaced.

So how exactly does a starting/deep cycle battery work?? Because I know there is a difference between the two. How do they get both technologies into one unit? Is it really better at one than the other?

Oly

Basically a starting battery (higher cranking power) with thicker lead plates to handle multiple deep discharges with out destroying the battery too soon. OK if that's all you can afford, but many say it is a bit of the worst of two worlds.

My best experience has been to go with a dedicated starting battery and a dedicated deep cycle battery for trolling with downriggers both on an ACR switch to keep them from working against each other when one loses proper power/charge levels.

Also remember to charge them up regularly (monthly) with a good smart battery charger to keep their charge levels up. Not doing so can lead to battery failure and shorter battery life.

Just to clarify I used 2 of the Costco Batteries, one was used as a starting battery and one as a house battery with the Blue Sea ACR.:)

I have a Costco starting battery and a Costco deep cycle with a Blue Seas ACR. I also have a NOCO Genius Gen2 2 bank charger permanently mounted in the engine compartment (I/O). It's always plugged in when the boat is in the driveway. System works great!

x2 I have the exact same set up, except I have new Canadian Energy (aka Canada Proof) batteries. Costco does sell a combo allinone starting/deep cycle battery, so does Interstate.

So how exactly does a starting/deep cycle battery work??
The plate thickness is between a starting & deep cycle battery. I would make sure you can get a plug-in shore charger that supports this battery style before going that route.

Confusing, difficult subject. All the posts above are great & offer good advice, but I dare to say that each poster has different needs from their battery systems. Some boats need a $200 solution, some need a $2000 solution. If you are fairly sure that you will not ever/rarely drain your house battery more than 50% between charges, and have more of a $200 solution, then I'd just throw the shore charger on it ASAP & replace every 5 years or so. If you have more of a $2000 solution with multiple size 8D batteries, then something more sophisticated is called for IMO. For us downrigger guys, the big question will be can you charge the house battery while fishing? With the right charging system, you would not need a deep cycle as the energy taken -out would be rapidly replaced. You should in all cases for safely have a battery dedicated to starting the engine(s) with many configured so that the house battery can start the engine(s) in an emergency.

In the process of replacing my deep cycle battery. Just in Costco Burnaby and saw no marine batteries. Anyone see them at any Costco in Lower Mainland recently?

Back