A REPORT ON THE TRAGIC HERRING FISHERY - Salish Sea

Glad to hear there is a rebound. Not so much the record haul. Does this mean the biomass is at record levels or were the boats in the right place at the right time, and more of the? 2 million + pounds at French Creek... The economic boom they speak of will last about a week. It would be nice if they also interviewed a marine biologist that does not have to answer to DFO. Like Pink Floyd said "Were so happy we can hardly count". Have a cigar Jimmy

Glad to hear there is a rebound. Not so much the record haul. Does this mean the biomass is at record levels or were the boats in the right place at the right time, and more of the? 2 million + pounds at French Creek... The economic boom they speak of will last about a week. It would be nice if they also interviewed a marine biologist that does not have to answer to DFO. Like Pink Floyd said "Were so happy we can hardly count". Have a cigar Jimmy

Certainly a record haul for recent years....but man what a spin doctor of a story.

DFO estimates that there are 115,000 tons in the Georgia Strait and of that 100,000 tons are in that area so they were definitely in the right place at the right time.

Quite the fleet. Looks like they could clean things up real quick.

Attachments

• Herring fleet near Qualicum.jpg
    Herring fleet near Qualicum.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 252

Its signs of what happens when 2 yrs ago there was no Herring Fishery, remember they shut er down.

Any reports of herring spawn south island?
We know there was a spawn here in area 14 but I wonder whats happening elsewhere.

Any reports of herring spawn south island?
We know there was a spawn here in area 14 but I wonder whats happening elsewhere.

not a herring to be seen around the gulf islands. but there must be millions of tons if they can catch that many tons up by parksville. its time to stop this crazy fishing on herring.

not a herring to be seen around the gulf islands. but there must be millions of tons if they can catch that many tons up by parksville. its time to stop this crazy fishing on herring.

Was just out there what a beautiful day on the water! was hardly a ripple out in the straight. Massive amount of herring in between active pass and the cable area. Huge bait balls all over the place. Got some sweet footage of about 20 golden eagles and bald eagles and hundreds of gulls. the rods were just bouncing every time we could see a ball on the sounder. they must have been big herring as I havent seen the rods bouncing like that from herring before. It looked like salmon bites. I heard from a commercial guy there is about 50 km of herring spawn that they have been harvesting from up towards french creek. It seems to be everywhere so hopefully a good sign as long as they dont take too much! this weather is sure making it easy.

I just spent the day fishing Saanich Inlet hoping for some big salmon chasing the herring in. No signs of any large herring balls. We saw one very small herring ball in the middle of Pat Bay and no significant bait on the sounder or schools of salmon from Wain rock to MacKenzie Bight. Hopefully soon!

dont forget prawn bait!

was out saturday and sunday active pass " salimanca area did not see much sign of herring on the surface. did not get out till after 9 am both days. i did talk to a fellow who did see a fair bit of herring by polier pass. he said it was alive with gulls seals eagles all feeding like it was going to be there last meal. wow its nice to hear theres a few herring starting to show up.perhaps we should give dfo a call let them know theres a couple herring left they better get an opening for the commercial fleet.i did see a few herring balls down at 150 ft out in around 300 ft of water.

Lots of fish this year but mostly concentrated north of Nanaimo. Should be the odd spawn down south but wouldn't expect anything too huge. Things have seemed to be on the upswing for a number of years now with maybe the exception of last year. Seems to be 3 good years to every 1 marginal year. Commercial fishery over and still multiple schools in excess of 40000 tons in the deep. its Not all doom and gloom.

yes,i strongly agree,,no more commercial herring fishing,,,it's a no brainer,,
I've said for years if I was in control of fisheries the FIRST action I would take is almost eliminating the herring fishery and focusing on rebuilding damaged stocks.

If the ocean has a massive bounty of herring I think that would go a long way to helping salmon stocks rebuild. Stream enhancement, hatcheries, and regulations to protect salmon are good but really what's the point if there is no food for them to eat?

Remember the MASSIVE sockeye run from 3 summers ago. That was credited to a nutrient rich ocean (volcanic eruption provided a massive nutrient load). Well how is this any different? Instead of mining the bottom of the food chain let them all spawn the trickle up effect will be HUGE.

maybe start with figuring out how to replenish krill stocks, herring are not at the very bottom of the chain thats something you need to realize.....if you want more herring they will need something to eat its not as simple as you make it out to be....

Back