A REPORT ON THE TRAGIC HERRING FISHERY - Salish Sea

I wonder how much money we would need to raise to pay off Jimmy to retire this "food and bait" and row fishery in the Salish Sea.

you may need to wait for his funeral...

Morton let it drop last night that some salmon viruses from the fish farm have shown up in samples of herring and in trout that share rivers with sick salmon. My stomach lurched when I heard that last night at the SVIAC meeting. I think times will be worse before they get better and some serious fights are brewing....

I was surprised about the herring. The Clutus lake trout positives where in the paper last year.

Also interesting in the disappearance of the herring in her area 26 years ago I think she said. I was reading into what herring eat last night. Found this interesting study done about zooplankton in our area if anyone wants a interesting read http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/175/m175p143.pdf

ya forty four thats me with a 24 ft northwest aluminum . some days i am the only boat out there fishing. i call it wishing and hope fishing. lol. this winter has been not to bad for winter springs but i still would like to see herring back in our area. i was told by a fellow he was diving on dinner point a few years ago he found many cod with the bellies eaten out of them from the seals.that must be ok cause no one else can see them rotting on the bottom of the ocean.the herring are the food chain for the ocean to bad dfo does not see this.

Unfortunately the general public have no idea whats going on, they need to be hit over the head before they react. If this was on land you could organize a blockade and protest. Wonder what would happen if the fleet could not get out of say French Creek?

Your sparken my interest Klob thanks for posting Andrew very good reads.

Unfortunately the general public have no idea whats going on, they need to be hit over the head before they react. If this was on land you could organize a blockade and protest. Wonder what would happen if the fleet could not get out of say French Creek?

How do you say BIG FINE ????? Its not the fishermen that are the problem... they just fish when DFO allows them to do so. Anyway-- just let me know how you make out with a 80 ft seiner bearing down on your tinkertoy boat LOL

It sure is frustrating to see. The days of raking herring are long gone, we often troll our area all day without seeing a single bait ball. I'm not against commercial fisheries but don't see the logic in the continuation of the Strait of Georgia herring fishery. I wrote up a letter and thought some might be interested in reading it.

Brenda Spence
Resource Manager DFO, Herring/Pelagics
3225 Stephenson Road
Nanaimo, BC V9T 1K3

Dear Ms. Spence

I am writing this letter in regard to the concerning herring fishery practices that are currently being witnessed within the Strait of Georgia, on British Columbia’s southern coast. At the time of composing this letter, the annual roe fishery is in full swing with an estimated 13,066 tons scheduled to be harvested from this region alone. At nearly 20 % of the overall assessed biomass, this proclaimed “conservative” harvesting of a keystone species threatens an already over strained ecosystem. I feel The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) is neglecting its management mandate of “conservation and sustainable use of Canada's fisheries” in relation to the area’s herring fishery.

While aware of DFO’s careful assessments and subsequential management strategies, I sense there are a number of factors being overlooked. Perhaps most troubling is the lack of large, mature herring being seen in recent years within the Strait of Georgia. These fish are indicators of healthy stocks and their removal by commercial fishing signals a species at risk. Another biological issue that has occurred over the last two years is the transfer of quota from the roe fishery to the food and bait fishery. By increasing the fishing pressure on local “resident” herring stocks, the commercial fishery is removing one of the last year round sources of food available to many species. Due to its recent implementation it’s effects are still relatively unseen, however the continued shift in pressure from migratory to non migratory stocks could have significant consequences.

In addition to the biological flags waving there are also harvest rates and biomass issues. The Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP) for the Pacific herring fishery highlights current harvest rates of 20% as sustainable and relatively low in a historic context. This however is when compared to extreme harvest rates that were responsible for a near total collapse in the herring fishery that peaked in the 1960s. These current rates while deemed “sustainable” are sustaining a biomass that is too low to support a healthy marine ecosystem. As the keystone species of our area, I feel it is essential that we allow herring stocks to grow with minimal commercial pressure. By allowing this stable foundation of healthy herring numbers to exist, the positive spin off for other species could be immense. Although such a conservative approach is good in theory, I realize there are many other impeding aspects, mainly being economics.

We live in a province forged by the commercial utilization of natural resources and because of this it is difficult to change the social, political and economic structure that revolves around these resource industries. In regards to the herring fishery however there are a number of discrepancies that question the economic viability of the commercial fishery. Currently the economic gains from the commercial fishery are largely controlled by a few individuals, with the largest stakeholder being businessman Jimmy Pattison. With almost all of the herring fisheries actual product being exported, combined with little economic gain to the province one must question why we would give up such a valuable resource for the personal gain of a limited number of individuals. Long term environmental value must replace short term financial value if we are to maintain this province for future generations.

The Strait of Georgia herring fishery may be a drop in the bucket in terms of global resources but by implementing a more conservative management model, it has the ability to set and important example. In a world of increasing population and consumption we must be very efficient in how we utilize natural resources. As we progress only the most sustainable and viable resources must be drawn upon. The herring fishery with such high costs and relatively little benefit does not have a place in our future. I applaud you and the department for your continued hard work with taking on such a difficult management task. I hope you take what I have said into consideration and push for the best interest of British Columbians.

Sincerely,

Kelly Aspinall

Great letter Kelly... Send a copy to Randy Kemp and Keith Ashfield.
I see our tax dollars were well spent at your school.
GLG

Great letter Kelly. Thanks for taking the time to wite it. Keep us posted on if and when you get a reply.

Great letter Kelly. Thanks for taking the time to wite it. Keep us posted on if and when you get the automated generic reply.

That's more what he can expect. I agree though great letter I like how Kelly addressed what DFO might come up with as concerns and reasons to keep the fishery. I wonder if any paper would publish something like that.

I wonder if any paper would publish something like that.

They may have, as an open letter to DFO/the Minister. They may have also considered it’s content as a guest columnist piece, however they usually want to copywrite them. In this case the letter has already been published in this forum and is now in the public domain. Therefore, I am not sure how much interest it would hold for them for that reason and they do monitor this forum.

It would also take balls for them to go up against the business interests of JP in a piece where he is named. Not doing so may have made it safer for them and from their perspective more usable. They are after all business’s and can be subject to political, economic and legal pressures and a billionaire can bring a lot of pressure in all three arenas.

Since the issue is going to government and the industry is forewarned, their paid lobbyists are probably already involved in counter measures and their PR firms and communications officers will be doing the same to prevent it becoming a story and if it does, limit the damage to their interests. DFO's issue managment people are also probably flaging it.

Keep in mind that our current provincial and federal governments and political parties are financially dependent on and ideologically driven to protect resource extraction industries and the corporate press is cautious not to stray too far in directions that can annoy both big business and big government. They do after all sell a lot of advertising to both.

The content of the letter is excellent and may have some influence in government. We don’t do enough of this - Great job. It may also raise awareness and perhaps one of their columnists/reporters that cover fisheries issues may pick up on it and decide to run with the issue themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Came across this little youtube vid today that fits the thread: forage fish.

[DESuCIunLoU] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DESuCIunLoU

Hey Guys,

David Ellis doesn't think he is quite up to get into the forum, but asked me to post this for him. He would also like to extend the invitation to all interested in following his crusade to get on his email list by emailing him below. Trust me, he somehow finds all of the recent info and shares it.

By David Ellis, longtime herring enthusiast:
Hi Andrew: I liked the forum and see you guys know what is going down,
exactly. The letter by Kelly Aspinall is right on. I want to get to
reporters and others.

We have to get some movement in Canada and now. But we have a big
problem; a big company that has a big DFO, to say the herring are still
really abundant.

Pattison should "write down" or just cancel, his herring
licenses. In Canada, license holders have that legal right. Nothing new
for big corps if business is bad. Smartest thing, is to move your energy
on, from a no-go.

I have a friend, Mike Robinson, who I hope will have time to handle the
"making Pattison look good" part, as he cancels the licences, to allow
for herring rebuilding. He is master at it, having funded many museums
and research institution, largely from the private sector, by giving
[rich] people big pats on the back . We have lots of nature
conservancies here, also NGOs, like Turtle Mt. The baby boom retirees,
have left a lot of harvestable money, for them. This, as well as a
writedown, I need your other ideas here.

Only if the gov admits the herring has collapsed, will a gov buyback
come in. But these just re-capitalize, if they don't buy ALL of the
licenses. In fact, Pattison Canadian Fishing Company, has pocketed huge
gov sums, in recent decades, from such "buy-backs" of old wood boats and
their licenses. But they have kept the biggest aluminum boats, so the
fishing over-kill power, is still there. It is so great, it is now,
together with salmon farming, holding up the rebuilding of the Fraser
sockeye, they just lobby to catch all that comes to the mouth of the
Fraser, that can dodge the salmon farms. Pattison now has a huge new
tunnel freezer (see Canadian Fishing Company website) to harvest
(completely) any big run of salmon, or herring. The huge Fraser run a
few years back, did not make it, to do much spawning. Or to fertilize
the watersheds. It got canned, by Pattison.

If we get no movement, I am looking for a sit-down meeting with Pattison
and Clark, next Nov, to discuss these things, and I am looking for folks
to come along with me, and who could help work to a practical way out,
of this destruction. Just being angry, at big business, won't help. Just
waiting for the DFO to solve the problem, won't work, either.

Best

David Ellis
davidellis@lightspeed.ca

Hey Guys,

David Ellis doesn't think he is quite up to get into the forum, but asked me to post this for him. He would also like to extend the invitation to all interested in following his crusade to get on his email list by emailing him below. Trust me, he somehow finds all of the recent info and shares it.

By David Ellis, longtime herring enthusiast:
Hi Andrew: I liked the forum and see you guys know what is going down,
exactly. The letter by Kelly Aspinall is right on. I want to get to
reporters and others.

We have to get some movement in Canada and now. But we have a big
problem; a big company that has a big DFO, to say the herring are still
really abundant.

Pattison should "write down" or just cancel, his herring
licenses. In Canada, license holders have that legal right. Nothing new
for big corps if business is bad. Smartest thing, is to move your energy
on, from a no-go.

I have a friend, Mike Robinson, who I hope will have time to handle the
"making Pattison look good" part, as he cancels the licences, to allow
for herring rebuilding. He is master at it, having funded many museums
and research institution, largely from the private sector, by giving
[rich] people big pats on the back . We have lots of nature
conservancies here, also NGOs, like Turtle Mt. The baby boom retirees,
have left a lot of harvestable money, for them. This, as well as a
writedown, I need your other ideas here.

Only if the gov admits the herring has collapsed, will a gov buyback
come in. But these just re-capitalize, if they don't buy ALL of the
licenses. In fact, Pattison Canadian Fishing Company, has pocketed huge
gov sums, in recent decades, from such "buy-backs" of old wood boats and
their licenses. But they have kept the biggest aluminum boats, so the
fishing over-kill power, is still there. It is so great, it is now,
together with salmon farming, holding up the rebuilding of the Fraser
sockeye, they just lobby to catch all that comes to the mouth of the
Fraser, that can dodge the salmon farms. Pattison now has a huge new
tunnel freezer (see Canadian Fishing Company website) to harvest
(completely) any big run of salmon, or herring. The huge Fraser run a
few years back, did not make it, to do much spawning. Or to fertilize
the watersheds. It got canned, by Pattison.

If we get no movement, I am looking for a sit-down meeting with Pattison
and Clark, next Nov, to discuss these things, and I am looking for folks
to come along with me, and who could help work to a practical way out,
of this destruction. Just being angry, at big business, won't help. Just
waiting for the DFO to solve the problem, won't work, either.

Best

David Ellis
davidellis@lightspeed.ca

Not sure how I can help David out but I'm going to send him a email Andrew thanks. Good letter Kelly, good to see the youth of our Province proactive in important issues such as this. Im sure even you remember the days of abundant Herring in the Straits. The above U Tube thread puts it in simple terms but true.

Heres the email I sent,

"Good evening David,

I read your letter posted by Andrew on the BC Sports Fishing Forum and figured I would send you a email to let you know I would help out in any way I might be of assitance on the Herring Issue. I agree, just writing letters to DFO wont work,however it certainly cant hurt. I have brought my concerns up every year at our local Area 14 SFAB meetings and it seems there is little worry from DFO about the diminishing Herring stocks. As a Fishing Guide and Sportsfisherman from VI for the past 30 years you would have to be a blind man not to notice the declining amount of Herring visible out there on the Water. Also in the Salmon Bellies. This past year locally there was a small increase, though I have a gut feeling it might have been because the Herring Fishery cancelled because of the Japanese Natural Disaster and the market wasnt there. Anyhow you have lots of support out there on this issue let me know how I can help.

Thanks for your efforts,

Cliff Moors
CCCharters

Same in JDF; not a lot of bait balls around like there once was. Also seems like we are catching more salmon deeper on the bottom on lures that mimic needlefish and with needle fish in them rather than herring, and not just in the winter.

I would also like to see a moratorium on commercial fishing of Pilchards.

Same in JDF; not a lot of bait balls around like there once was. Also seems like we are catching more salmon deeper on the bottom on lures that mimic needlefish and with needle fish in them rather than herring, and not just in the winter.

I would also like to see a moratorium on commercial fishing of Pilchards.

Agreed and Krill!!

Back