83lb chinook - who said River's is dead??

nice - reading more about it - it was released (caught near marker 16) and a 72 was also caught and released same day

There were a few others in the high 60's caught near Bella Bella.. a friend from Westwind Tugboat Adventures guided a family member,hooking a hog, estimated 60-70lbs.. ensuing fight lasted 30 min+, only to break off near the boat

great to hear they were released, hope they make it up to breed.

Was thinking the same thing. Whack it on the head and lose those genes forever. Let it breed, and keep our sport going. Good on you for releasing it.

Are you saying that Rivers Inlet is dead or has been dead? If so you are getting bad information. I was up there for a week this August and the fishing was pretty darn good. We saw a 64, 60, 50, 40 caught by one boat the first day we were there. We personally caught 5 fish on my boat one morning all in the high 30's and low 40' before 11 am. We kept 12 fish with the smallest being 30 and the two biggest at 50 and 60 pounds. We also released a 48 and 30. I do not know of anywhere you can catch fish like that except for Rivers Inlet.

CoolStoryBro-s580x434-178773.jpg

Wow, makes a fisherman feel good knowing giant Chinook like this are still around in 2012.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Are you saying that Rivers Inlet is dead or has been dead? If so you are getting bad information. I was up there for a week this August and the fishing was pretty darn good. We saw a 64, 60, 50, 40 caught by one boat the first day we were there. We personally caught 5 fish on my boat one morning all in the high 30's and low 40' before 11 am. We kept 12 fish with the smallest being 30 and the two biggest at 50 and 60 pounds. We also released a 48 and 30. I do not know of anywhere you can catch fish like that except for Rivers Inlet.

been lots of talk over the last few years (not necessarily this year), that Rivers is no longer land of the hogs...personally, I've only ever been there for work so don't know for a fact, but there are several discussions here in the last few years about how the fishery has declined.

This year obviously a boom - kind of makes sense as I know up at Malcolm Island, they have been having one of their best years in several as well. Ocean conditions just right it seems up there!

Hmmm sounds like you had a great trip Saanauk!! Must have been a heavy trek home with all dem slabs!
We hooked that 82 lber while we were there....when we saw it was too big to keep we just dropped the tip and broke it off. lol

...nice fish.

Wow! Thats a lot of fish. When we go we generally ony keep one fish each and release all others. You will be eating salmon for a while. Not that thats a bad thing. Great to see the fishing is coming back. The fishery in Rivers is very special.

ahhhh the terminal fishery at the head of rivers inlet......fishing at the end of the line for fish schooled up, kinda like a fish tank. Please excuse me for saying this but who really needs 12 fish between 30 and 60#, I know its all legal but seriously, its 2012 its time we think a little less about limiting out on hogs.....

ahhhh the terminal fishery at the head of rivers inlet......fishing at the end of the line for fish schooled up, kinda like a fish tank. Please excuse me for saying this but who really needs 12 fish between 30 and 60#, I know its all legal but seriously, its 2012 its time we think a little less about limiting out on hogs.....

Well said!

who really needs 12 fish between 30 and 60#, I know its all legal but seriously, its 2012 its time we think a little less about limiting out on hogs.....

I agree... 12 bonked over 30lbs isn't cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Great fish.... and great luck. I have been trying for about 30 years to join the Tyee club in Sooke,BC. Had my biggest one on ever yesterday and the leader broke! That's fishing.

Back