83lb chinook - who said River's is dead??

The way the thread totally disintegrated was predictable. It was legal? And some fish were released? If you dont agree, then get in touch with the guys in the Central Coast SFAC to see if they agree, and will take your comments to DFO.

A prime example of a hatchery program working well.

The way the thread totally disintegrated was predictable. It was legal? And some fish were released? If you dont agree, then get in touch with the guys in the Central Coast SFAC to see if they agree, and will take your comments to DFO.

yeah, that is my issue and why I snapped like I did...you just can't post a 'wow, check out the fish' picture without it turning into a big rah rah save the salmon sit in...first guys steps in, what are ya talking about, there are tons of fish...then he gets ripped for taking a 'legal amount' which is fine by me even though I'd have no need for 80lbs of processed fish, then the suggestion starts that maybe they shouldn't even be targeted as they may not survive if released. Just tiresome. Obviously the Rivers Inlet fishery is doing great right now and hell, maybe there is even overcrowding in the rivers there and thinning the herd is a help! Its a hard and expensive destination so it won't get overfished like it may down in Sooke - if people want to catch a few hogs once a year, good on em and they shouldn't be judged.

Oh well....as you said, shouldn't surprise.

Ok so I never meant to stir the pot this much, I was stoked to see such an impressive fish and it was super cool to see that it was released. Thanks Deewar25 for throwing that pic and link up here. I think that releasing a huge fish like promotes a healthy and stable fishery.

you'd think it was offseason with all this bante!! lol

Those same Wanuk river fish went past Langara about a month ago and stayed around for a lot longer than usual so there could be more to come! Hopefully some more hogs are caught and sent home to spawn! Great fish and great release!

yeah, that is my issue and why I snapped like I did...you just can't post a 'wow, check out the fish' picture without it turning into a big rah rah save the salmon sit in...first guys steps in, what are ya talking about, there are tons of fish...then he gets ripped for taking a 'legal amount' which is fine by me even though I'd have no need for 80lbs of processed fish, then the suggestion starts that maybe they shouldn't even be targeted as they may not survive if released. Just tiresome. Obviously the Rivers Inlet fishery is doing great right now and hell, maybe there is even overcrowding in the rivers there and thinning the herd is a help! Its a hard and expensive destination so it won't get overfished like it may down in Sooke - if people want to catch a few hogs once a year, good on em and they shouldn't be judged.

Oh well....as you said, shouldn't surprise.
Yep, and some of the wankers post their hit list every day! Down here It has been tough sledding for large springs, if you manage to catch a once in a lifetime fish, guided or not you paid for it, release it, keep it, the choice is yours. I believe the operative word in Rivers Inlet is hatchery; this run is the fruits of labor… In my humble opinion, we could learn a lot by reading Gorge Cuthbert’s (tyeesalmon1) eloquent post, it puts things in perspective.
Deewar, thanks for sharing this news worthy story. Kudos to the Lady angler, who keeps the dream alive for all of us…

I think this thread is just a good example of people being passionate about salmon, which is a good thing. Any 30+ fish landed on vancouver island gets bonked and celebrated and it should, that's why many of us fish. A prime example is the over 50 taken near Bamfield.

But keeping 12 big ones on a trip anywhere crosses the line IMO. Kudos to all companies that suupport C&R because I think the younger generation of fisherman (including myself) are learning to appreciate the value in C&R or at least only taking what you need.

Aside from the buggers at the dock near the mouth, I don't think in the last 2 years I've seen a seal or lion up around the head. This is just my short experience but the closest marine life aside from hogs and horseflies was some porpoises about 5 miles from the top. I'm sure they are there. I just haven't seen any yet...

George aka tyeesalmon1, thanks for the input! Its great to have someone from GoodHope offering an informed opinion. I'll never forget the pig we hooked last year (45) and as it surfaced behind one of the GoodHope boats, the guide, without thinking twice, cut his lines. It was our only fish landed during the trip, pretty grateful for the courtesy. The GH Boats often leave my wondering what we are doing wrong! Pro's of the inlet, thats for sure.

Maybe you could shed some light on the rumblings I heard on the VHF, that limit will be reduced to 1 fish, possession 2, in the coming seasons?

Thanks -FB-

Hi
Central Coast SFAC recommended retention of Chinook within the special management zone at the head of Rivers Inlet be reduced to two per annum in years of anticipated low abundance This is a tool DFO may now use INSTEAD of closing the area and eliminating all expectation and opportunity.
It was vetted through NCSFAB and then main board - passed this year. As DFO changes and the experience with seasoned managers is lost to retirement etc, we need to have plan "B" in place rather than the easiest solution always being to close an area all together. Closing and loosing the opportunity is often the easiest thing to do in times of reduced escapement etc.
If this were to go into place in the near future, it would not affect opportunity and regular retention of up to 30 Chinook/annum within the rest of rivers inlet and area 9. It would only affect the special management zone in rivers inlet described on the back of every public saltwater fishing licenses.
Glad to hear the boy's were helpful on the water - they try to and it's generally a real gentlemen's fishery. Well, ladies too now...
Hope this clarifies things and good luck out there.
Thanks GC

Rivers Inlet 41 pounder!

And yes, I won't be releasing any of this crew anytime soon!
This was my daughter's largest fish and at only 12 this will also make quite a story at school soon!
GC

Attachments

• DSC00125.jpg
    DSC00125.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 158
Hi
Central Coast SFAC recommended retention of Chinook within the special management zone at the head of Rivers Inlet be reduced to two per annum in years of anticipated low abundance This is a tool DFO may now use INSTEAD of closing the area and eliminating all expectation and opportunity.
It was vetted through NCSFAB and then main board - passed this year. As DFO changes and the experience with seasoned managers is lost to retirement etc, we need to have plan "B" in place rather than the easiest solution always being to close an area all together. Closing and loosing the opportunity is often the easiest thing to do in times of reduced escapement etc.
If this were to go into place in the near future, it would not affect opportunity and regular retention of up to 30 Chinook/annum within the rest of rivers inlet and area 9. It would only affect the special management zone in rivers inlet described on the back of every public saltwater fishing licenses.
Glad to hear the boy's were helpful on the water - they try to and it's generally a real gentlemen's fishery. Well, ladies too now...
Hope this clarifies things and good luck out there.
Thanks GC

In my limited experience the last thing you want to do is close down an area. As you will probably never get it re-opened...

What a hog man,, just can't emagine what it would be like to battle a beast like that.. Some day man some day..

saanaul,, screw the jealous nay sayers brother and enjoy your fish this winter..

GC, great info. a 2 per annum limit specifically for Rivers would not be the worst thing in my opinion. It is a place that should be cherished and preserved while still making it possible for those of us who love this sport to continue to fish it well into the future.

Back