83lb chinook - who said River's is dead??

Yeah its one of those things, starting to see a lot more large fish being let go now. When I started guiding 10 years ago I worked for a company who pushed full kill of large fish. I was young and didn't know much better so I put my fair share of large chinook on the dock. In the last 5 years or so I have greatly changed my tune on these things. For me catching a large chinook is all about fooling the fish, the fight and getting a great photo at the end of it all. Why kill such a rare fish, knock a few 15-35's on the head for dinner and call it good. These are just my opinions and after watching a huge number of large fish die of cheany point a few weeks ago I have started being a little more vocal. I have no doubt in my mind had that 73# I released at cheany been caught by a "company" boat it would have been iced......killed to win a few bucks in a derby...kinda sad. huge kudos to the guest and guide who let the 83# swim free.

X 4 or 5 or 6 Who needs that much fish? The 20-25 pound fish are the most plentiful and should be the ones kept...the others take a video of the action and the release. Your story told later of bonking a 60 pounder in \River's Inlet in 2012 doesn't imporess me, and never will. Your could be story of a video of a 60 pounder you caught and let go at River's in 2012 would have me patting you on the back and buying you a beer.

Are you saying that Rivers Inlet is dead or has been dead? If so you are getting bad information. I was up there for a week this August and the fishing was pretty darn good. We saw a 64, 60, 50, 40 caught by one boat the first day we were there. We personally caught 5 fish on my boat one morning all in the high 30's and low 40' before 11 am. We kept 12 fish with the smallest being 30 and the two biggest at 50 and 60 pounds. We also released a 48 and 30. I do not know of anywhere you can catch fish like that except for Rivers Inlet.
What kind of flavor do you like? Im baking some hero cookies tonight.

Hello
I'm with Good Hope Cannery and was on the water fishing with my family when these fish were caught and released. Pretty special - others were right - 5 or 10 years ago, these would have all certainly been killed. Not that anythings' so bad with keeping your catch to consume - they're good eating and the stock is stable. It's more the gesture of wanting to release fish rather than the norm being to kill everything.
The head of Rivers Inlet is a special management zone and I know there will be endeavors in the future to further restrict retention. As long as the resource can sustain the interception; we'd love to see the expectation and opportunity within the 'trophy"area to continue. I can't help but think releasing big fish will be part of the solution.
My first trip into Rivers Inlet was with my father 27 years ago. To think I'd be on the water and to see my kids witness fish in 70's and 80's like being caught; much less seeing my 12 year old daughter catch (and retain) a 41 pounder was pretty cool. And, to know my other daughter plans on releasing her first Tyee - also cool.
If anyone's interested in learning more about Rivers Inlet - shoot me a note anytime and we'll put you in touch with the right people. There's lots of great lodges in the area and plenty of opportunity.
Tight lines boys - and yes, I would have loved to have tied into that 83 myself!
George Cuthbert

Even with the ones that are released doesn't a fairly high percentage of the big ones die after being fought to such exhaustion after the lactic acid builds up in them? Not to mention the ones that end up sitting ducks for the seals and lions because they can barely swim for a few days? Anyone have any input on that?

or for frigs sake people - I posted this as it isn't that often you get to see an 83lb in the flesh, didn't put it up to start a catch and release or catch handle dispute. Get an f'ing life already. A women having never fished before, spending $3500 for a chance to catch a big fish, actually gets a battle of her life and lands a fish basically none of us ever will. If YOU spent that kind of money having never fished before, would you just want an overhead photo of it just before its released or would you want to have a great picture that you can be proud of and show off to your mates back home? I know I damn well would. I think its great that they released - I probably would as well just because I couldn't imagine it would taste great, but I would definitely want a picture where people could clearly get a good look at the monster.

Maybe it doesn't make it, but it survived this long and has probably handled a battle or two in its lifetime and I'm sure the guide took care giving it a chance to catch its breathe before it was let go.

It's one thing to rag on Mr we kept 12 monster fish, but to rag on the lady that never fished before in her life and caught the fish of anyones lifetime and wanted a picture of it....get real.

Even with the ones that are released doesn't a fairly high percentage of the big ones die after being fought to such exhaustion after the lactic acid builds up in them? Not to mention the ones that end up sitting ducks for the seals and lions because they can barely swim for a few days? Anyone have any input on that?

Aside from the buggers at the dock near the mouth, I don't think in the last 2 years I've seen a seal or lion up around the head. This is just my short experience but the closest marine life aside from hogs and horseflies was some porpoises about 5 miles from the top. I'm sure they are there. I just haven't seen any yet...

George aka tyeesalmon1, thanks for the input! Its great to have someone from GoodHope offering an informed opinion. I'll never forget the pig we hooked last year (45) and as it surfaced behind one of the GoodHope boats, the guide, without thinking twice, cut his lines. It was our only fish landed during the trip, pretty grateful for the courtesy. The GH Boats often leave my wondering what we are doing wrong! Pro's of the inlet, thats for sure.

Maybe you could shed some light on the rumblings I heard on the VHF, that limit will be reduced to 1 fish, possession 2, in the coming seasons?

Thanks -FB-

Does anyone know what the measurements were for this beaut? Trying to grasp the size of it. Also, I was wondering if she could have a trophy made to match size and such....is this ever done?

Does anyone know what the measurements were for this beaut? Trying to grasp the size of it. Also, I was wondering if she could have a trophy made to match size and such....is this ever done?

That's probably what I would have done in that situation. Who knows for sure. I have only just broken the so called Tyee mark a couple of times. Something almost 3 times as big does deserve to head up the river (hopefully after a release). The folks that make reproductions these day's are awesome. If the measurements are accurate and the photos are good they can make it happen. They are better looking than the skin job's IMHO. It cost's a lot for a repo but we are talking a fish of a lifetime and should be even more cherished if released and add's that much more to the story than a bonked fish.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, fighting a fish to exhaustion can be hard on them and yes some do not make it. letting a chinook chill out in a catch and release net for up to 20 min after a fight is critical. All of the big chinook i have released were just roaring to go during a release. I hold them by the tail upright in the water and wait for some serious tail wagging before letting go. The 73# was off like a rocket. I think the net time directly after the fight is critical in reducing lactic acid . Keep them out of the water for as short as possible. There is always a chance they will die but i they will have a better chance in the ocean than in your fishbox.

or for frigs sake people - I posted this as it isn't that often you get to see an 83lb in the flesh, didn't put it up to start a catch and release or catch handle dispute. Get an f'ing life already. A women having never fished before, spending $3500 for a chance to catch a big fish, actually gets a battle of her life and lands a fish basically none of us ever will. If YOU spent that kind of money having never fished before, would you just want an overhead photo of it just before its released or would you want to have a great picture that you can be proud of and show off to your mates back home? I know I damn well would. I think its great that they released - I probably would as well just because I couldn't imagine it would taste great, but I would definitely want a picture where people could clearly get a good look at the monster.

Maybe it doesn't make it, but it survived this long and has probably handled a battle or two in its lifetime and I'm sure the guide took care giving it a chance to catch its breathe before it was let go.

It's one thing to rag on Mr we kept 12 monster fish, but to rag on the lady that never fished before in her life and caught the fish of anyones lifetime and wanted a picture of it....get real.

I've read this whole topic and don't recall anyone ragging on the lady for taking a picture of it??? Mostly people commenting how great it was that it was released.

ahhhh the terminal fishery at the head of rivers inlet......fishing at the end of the line for fish schooled up, kinda like a fish tank. Please excuse me for saying this but who really needs 12 fish between 30 and 60#, I know its all legal but seriously, its 2012 its time we think a little less about limiting out on hogs.....

Wow didn't know that so many feathers would get all ruffled. The 12 fish were caught by 4 anglers with the 4 biggest fish each caught by one of the 4 anglers. One kept a 60, one kept a 50, one kept a 42 and one kept a 41. Several large fish were released and by no means were limits kept. Each of the largest fish caught by each was the biggest fish caught ever by that person. Oh and by two of the high thirty pound fish were hatchery adipose fin clipped fish.

I did not mean to have my post take away from the great fish that was caught and released. I was just trying to point out that fishing at Rivers Inlet is far from dead. If you are one that does not believe in large fish being killed then don't go to Rivers. I personally have only bonked a few fish there the last four years with only one fourth pound fish and one fifty. There are people that have been going there for 20+ years and fill there limit there every year. No saying that is right but just the facts.
I view Good Hope as a world class outfit and it is great to hear them promoting catch and release now but the biggest fish I have seen caught (was told it was 72 pounds by the guide) was bonked by them.
People go to Rivers to catch big fish plain and simple. I do support the regs being changed to limit the huge 60#+ fish that are taken there.

What is truly a sad sight is watching unbelievably large salmon getting ripped apart by the sealions everyday at Draney Inlet. Wait for an ebb tide and watch the distruction happen. Never been a day fishing there I did not witness it.

You measure the lenght and gerth .and you can get an acrylic one made .My boss had his done back in the 80s . It look good and last for ever ,with out fadeing.

You measure the lenght and gerth .and you can get an acrylic one made .My boss had his done back in the 80s . It look good and last for ever ,with out fadeing.

Yup they are awesome.......at least the ones I have seen. I think lot's of photo's are helpful as well.

Some people need to think before they post, I mostly read on here, but it was an obvious assumption on my part that there were likely four guys fishing with you. Each taking three fish home with them. I say good on you, don't let the haters get to you!! Cheers...

Some people need to think before they post, I mostly read on here, but it was an obvious assumption on my part that there were likely four guys fishing with you. Each taking three fish home with them. I say good on you, don't let the haters get to you!! Cheers...

Agreed - pretty soon we'll be shooting our game animals with rubber bullets and taking a picture before they run away... sorry people, that method doesn't feed families and all we are doing is supporting fish farms, etc. when you but it in a grocery store. When did the salmon fishery turn so green?

Agreed - pretty soon we'll be shooting our game animals with rubber bullets and taking a picture before they run away... sorry people, that method doesn't feed families and all we are doing is supporting fish farms, etc. when you but it in a grocery store. When did the salmon fishery turn so green?

The fishery turning green is one thing of many we can do to make sure our kids have a fishery at all

Lorne

I never said don't take salmon home to eat, I took 4 chinook from the central coast for my freezer. Keeping fish is part of the sport as it is great to enjoy. Its not about going green is its about stopping the selective harvest of the biggest fish in the gene pool that sport fishermen are good at. that is all.

I never said don't take salmon home to eat, I took 4 chinook from the central coast for my freezer. Keeping fish is part of the sport as it is great to enjoy. Its not about going green is its about stopping the selective harvest of the biggest fish in the gene pool that sport fishermen are good at. that is all.

X 2. Well said.

Back