• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
Someone remember the bucktailing in Cow Bay? Super early mornings out in a 12 tinny, fog in the bay, some from moisture but probably more from 2 stroke motors of dozens and dozens of like-minded. A long sweep curve and whammm your rod gets buried and as a kid I could barely get it out of the holder while a 20#+ coho jumps already several times clear of the water behind the boat. A dozen hos per morning hooked was easy enough with many over 15 and some over 20#. On my first own rod, a split cane whip. Where are those days?

I'm so old I remember all the clinker boats with Briggs motors at French Creek.
I also remember Alex Merriman an outdoor sports writer in the Times Colunist saying if the Federal Government does't buy back all the seine fleet licences our salmon are going to end up in trouble.

Those clinkers ended up in my dad’s field where they were sold 1 by 1. Some of them were in pretty tough shape

I just hope the dfo and by extension our government has the political courage to make the tough call with respect to the seals. Great presentation on another thread about the protection of seals starting in 1970 and the subsequent massive decline of our coho and Chinook stocks. There’s little doubt now who the real culprits are! The statistics are frightening! It’s not a stretch at all to know what would be causing our SRKW population to be running short of Chinook either. While user groups were busy blaming one another, the dfo was likely aware of the real bandits. Now it’s time to act.

Back