• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
It is so sad to see where sportfishing is nowadays in BC. We had it all, we had a fishery the entire world envied us for, it was spectacular, truly unique in that we had it in front of our urban door steps. And we pissed it all away. It makes me very sad to see these old memories but thanks anyway stormtrooper. I am glad I got to see it while it existed.

It really seemed to be more sporting way back when, you know back then in the early days and as kids growing up if you were born prior to the 80's like I was. Looking at this photocopy version of the First Annual Year Book of the Victoria - Saanich Inlet Anglers Association publication. It really makes me sit and think back.

I miss fishing the cement plant. Before downriggers.

Where there that many large springs returning to goldstream? Or did they just hang around the inlet?

Last edited:
Was introduced to salmon fishing in the inlet in the late seventies . My first salmon was a 7-8 pounder on wire line and planer ,sure wasn't impressed by the fight. My friends dad had a boat moored at Halls boat house and eventually we started using trout rods and drift lures and caught so many fish in the 4-12 lb range with a couple larger ones thrown in . Chasing herring balls and elbowing your buddies to get the first cast in the mix was guaranteed hook up .Stone house, Christmas point ,murcurdies point ,deep hole just a few of the hot spots and in the summer there would be dozens of boats jigging at the popular spots . Every couple years we get together and fish Renfrew together as my friend got into the fishing industry , maybe we should bust out the buzz bombs , stinzeldas and pirkens one day and chase herring balls . Good memories .

Back in those days if you went out, you dressed up for it. Shows, sporting events, even shopping. Now when i go shopping i’m butting elbows with hambeasts that look like they just woke up wearing pajama bottoms and crocs!

The penmanship and the prose displayed in the articles is something that will never be seen again sadly; unless it is put on.

The articles boast of “ the finest gear.” I lost four good chinook last summer in ONE morning due to two straightened hooks, failed split rings and a failed bead chain. I pay $8-$10 for an offshore- made spoon that will have lost all its paint and be bent in half by the end of the day.

But i digress...
It must have been quite the draw to have an opportunity to eat fresh-caught salmon back in the thirties. We’re so spoiled here on the coast.

Before the advent of refrigeration most of the commercially caught fish were destined to the canneries which riddled the coast.
(actually they would already have been dwindling at this time)

But think canned tuna vs. fresh albacore loins...spicy grilled to perfection. im salivating.

good read ST

Although I’m not from the island nor have ever lived there I have been going out there pretty steady since about 1976. My dad was a logger his entire life and in our country that means mostly summer work. He did quite well for himself so it afforded him time to travel the summers, not expensively but we traveled. There were some summers we spent close to 2 months traveling BC and fishing many lakes and streams. The end of the trips usually had us on the island for 2 weeks of salt water. In those days we didn’t understand the Chinook fishery to us it was just salmon fishing, catching Coho and Pinks and Sockeye.

We spent quite a few years at Campbell River, staying at Big Rock in a small camping area behind the Shell station. There was a boat launch just across the road. As well there was a Japanese, Canadian family that ran a small bait shop and boat rental shop near the launch, great family, I think of them often. We fished in those days in a 14’ Lund car topper with a 20 horse kicker on it. I remember many times being scared shitelss in those big rips off of Quadra and having to do the crossing in a cross wind. We didn’t know much about it in those days but we did ok, always had fish for mom to can.

Then in 79 we found out about Bear Cove and started fishing up there. Our first year or 2 I don’t remember there was nothing at Telegraph other than the community itself so we stayed in the camper at the boat launch at Bear Creek launch. Then after a couple years the first campsite opened at Telegraph and we then stayed there for the next while. That was good fishing. Again I don’t remember to many big fish, or chinooks they came as they came, we were just happy to be catching fish, but I do remember the fishing being incredible.

As I turned into my teen years of course I quit going with my parents and didn’t start returning to the coast regularly until the mid 90’s by then it was Sooke mostly.

Last edited:
Where there that many large springs returning to goldstream? Or did they just hang around the inlet?
From what I have learned they were mostly Cowichan salmon; Chinook and Coho, that would populate the Saanich inlet. Goldstream never had a Chinook run, just the odd strayling.

From what I have learned they were mostly Cowichan salmon; Chinook and Coho, that would populate the Saanich inlet. Goldstream never had a Chinook run, just the odd strayling.
Correct. And the reason why they hung out there pretty much year round without the need to turn offshore was an incredible amount of bait in the inlet. If you ever been to Swiftsure or offshore Haida, that's what it was in the Saanich Inlet. Really, not more that 40-45 years ago. It was boiling with life. Pat Bay had an incredible herring spawn every year. Orcas, humpbacks, porpoises were regularly in the inlet, blue backs - coho grilse grew up in there. Lots of kelp beds along the rocky shore provided rearing habitat and bait fish shelters. The surface was boiling every sunset and sunrise with bait and chasing salmon. It was alive. Then it went dead within 10-15 years. The scientists still argue why. But really, this was not only the case for the Saanich inlet, same in Active Pass, Oak Bay, Vic Waterfront... to name a few that I fished back when. No one bothered going all the way to Sooke, you couldn't beat right out front. But all those places went dead in the 80 to early 90s. It probably started already in the 70s but you couldn't notice it at first because even at 50% it was still very alive. It's like the entire ecosystem changed overnight. Herring gone, kelp receded, salmon stocks crashed. I hate to tell you but I doubt you can turn this back on. We may have lost this incredibly fertile ecosystem forever.

I still cant believe we are still here. Those chug boats died all the time. You got a lifejacket, some basic directions and not much else.

They were so slow that it would take like 45 min. to get to bamberton beach from brentwood. I am sure guys on here remember the tac into the beach and through cement plant.

I fished a few years back just for old time sake. Lots of life on the sounder but nothing around.

Bottom fishing was great too at the cement plant. You couldn't keep your jig more than a few moments on the bottom without hooking an ugly but tasty creature. I should look for some pics from back then, I caught one of my biggest snappers there as a young lad.

And the best was you didn't have to check the wind even in the slow putt putt boats. Although I had some worried rows back to shore in a small clinker.

I lived in bella bella, alert bay and campbell river throughout the 1980's I was to young to fish but my dad fished a lot. Herd lots of stories, My dad Never landed a tyee and once lost one after a 45 min fight on a knuckle buster beside the boat when it rolled on it side. Hand lined for halibut and used polar bear bucktails for coho.

Anyways my dad said the chinook fishing on the inside has been better then it was in thoes days, Chinook fishing was soso and Coho fishing was incredible.

Im sure some top rods on here may remember it differently, more dialed in on chinook ect..but just sharing his story.

It seems to me that coho fishing is getting better perhaps were going back to a time on the inside where coho fishing is going to be incredible but chinook fishing not so much. Will be interesting to watch coho numbers in the upcoming years.

Correct. And the reason why they hung out there pretty much year round without the need to turn offshore was an incredible amount of bait in the inlet. If you ever been to Swiftsure or offshore Haida, that's what it was in the Saanich Inlet. Really, not more that 40-45 years ago. It was boiling with life. Pat Bay had an incredible herring spawn every year. Orcas, humpbacks, porpoises were regularly in the inlet, blue backs - coho grilse grew up in there. Lots of kelp beds along the rocky shore provided rearing habitat and bait fish shelters. The surface was boiling every sunset and sunrise with bait and chasing salmon. It was alive. Then it went dead within 10-15 years. The scientists still argue why. But really, this was not only the case for the Saanich inlet, same in Active Pass, Oak Bay, Vic Waterfront... to name a few that I fished back when. No one bothered going all the way to Sooke, you couldn't beat right out front. But all those places went dead in the 80 to early 90s. It probably started already in the 70s but you couldn't notice it at first because even at 50% it was still very alive. It's like the entire ecosystem changed overnight. Herring gone, kelp receded, salmon stocks crashed. I hate to tell you but I doubt you can turn this back on. We may have lost this incredibly fertile ecosystem forever.

Maybe there is more to come on this. Germany just found that they have lost 75% of their insect population since the 90s. And that is certainly not limited to little Germany, they just spent the money and effort to study this. I remember in the 70s and 80s when relatives would come to visit from half across the country their windshields were just plastered with dead bugs. Also the headlights so much that light would barely pass through. Now I can drive up to Port Hardy and back and barely have a dozen dead bugs on the window. What's next?

I lived in bella bella, alert bay and campbell river throughout the 1980's I was to young to fish but my dad fished a lot. Herd lots of stories, My dad Never landed a tyee and once lost one after a 45 min fight on a knuckle buster beside the boat when it rolled on it side. Hand lined for halibut and used polar bear bucktails for coho.

Anyways my dad said the chinook fishing on the inside has been better then it was in thoes days, Chinook fishing was soso and Coho fishing was incredible.

Im sure some top rods on here may remember it differently, more dialed in on chinook ect..but just sharing his story.

It seems to me that coho fishing is getting better perhaps were going back to a time on the inside where coho fishing is going to be incredible but chinook fishing not so much. Will be interesting to watch coho numbers in the upcoming years.

Our dads didnt have downriggers with 20lb cannons, and electronics that showed suspended bait balls 200 feet down with salmon arches feeding all around.
They had DeepSix planer boards and herring strip. they fluked into the occasional Chinook but always caught coho.
The highliners were the moochers with their liveys or cut pluggers.. around CR anyway.

We’re getting too good at killing them now

We used slip sinkers and mooching weights when I started at the ripe old age of 4 yrs. We also used 12 lbs test as mainline. 12 to 15 lbs leaders with #8 triple hooks for whole bait and strip. Then my step dad got into wire line on PEETZ reels and 1 to 2 lbs balls, Pink Lady's and Deep Six planers. Then the Scotty blue downriggers and 7lbs balls, Hardy Ten Ten and Longstone reels...the way it was. That was fun. That was Sporting. :)
Grandpa had a homemade downrigger. It was equal parts, wood, metal, and bicycle. Weights were 48 ounce tomato juice can filled with concrete. Wire was commercial grade and could easily anchor a 14' Hourston stern first in a rip in Porlier until someone passed the sidecutters. No release clips, so he had to arm wrestle the fish in. Good times.

Back