70 horse overcharging

jeffywestcoast

I noticed the other day running in on my 70 that it seems to be producing and excessive amount of voltage under high RPM.. my motor is running excellent but I am wondering if there is a way to keep the voltage down below 14 volts... was a little shocked to see 17.2 volts on my fish finder at WOT coming in the other day?? are all two strokes like this or does mine need a new charge controller or can I install an external one??? hate to fry my new hds5 from giving it to much voltage... anyone else have this problem or a way to fix it??:confused:

I would double check at the battery to make sure that it is charging at that high of volts. Anything over 15 is pretty harmful to your battery.

ya next time out I better bring my multimeter I guess , seems kinda weird, I have a good deepcycle marine battery , bought a second one with the second electric deepline even wired in the switch for it but decided against installing second battery because of the weight issue.

many older outboards do not have a voltage regulator only a rectifier. The ac current is changed into dc, but without voltage control, the voltage can climb quite high. 17.2 volts is about what you can expect after a long run. in effect it is your battery that is acting as a voltage regulator. If yours is an older motor , you may find that it only puts out about six amps at the most in any event. if you are concerned, either turn off the fish finder or stop for a few min. to allow the voltage to stabilize back down to 13 or so volts. Check your manual to see what voltage your Lawrance will run on, you may find that it will work fine at that higher voltage.

I run 2 batteries in my 18ft boat. Accessories off one and one strictly for the motor. I dunno how many times ive been in other peoples boats just floating on the lake and we go to start it up and nothing. Killed the battery by listening to music. I figured that with all the draw from our riggers, sonar, vhf, and music it would be a smart idea to run 2.

Ya I was thinking the same thing that why I bought a second battery and the switch had harb chan make me some heavy 4 gauge battery wires but after installing all that and the new 4 stroke kicker I decided it was to much weight for my 16.5, with the second electric I thought maybe I would be draining the battery but it is just not the case the 9.9 has a really good charging system because I have never not been able to start the 2 stroke even with everything on.

We had the same problem earlier this year now remember I've got a 2006 honda we took out the alternator and took it to flesh electric on Northfield to have it tested they were a huge help ours turned out to be a crush sleeve that blew up causing the brushes to have intermittent contact cause a voltage spike to 17 maybe this will help ya out also make sure all your connections are good and clean and tight too good luck with this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
One a side note the way we got the voltage to drop back down to 14.5 was to turn on as many electrical components all at once which helped when we were on the water enough time to get back to land and figure it out

Thanks Bud I have used Flesh electric before for automotive troubles, they are excellent. As stated above my 70 stroke has an un regulated charging system.. wondering if I can fit an aftermarket universal voltage regulator...

Don"t know the age of your motor, I have a older 140 and my motor did the same as your's
and it did fry my hds8 so I would get it checked before you go out again
it was the rectifier in my case good luck

Easy fix.... Tell the wife a new motor is needed and that it's a safely issue. I bet Sculpin will know someone that can help you :) LOL

just need a new 4 wire rectifier apparently, my 70 Evinrude is 1984 vintage..., I have a line on a used one but I bet a new one is only 30-50 bucks..I wish on the new motor.. Kerstin just bought a new 2014 Jetta so my real expensive boat will have to wait I guess... Fugly will have to do.. or fish with friends

Back