70’s Double Eagle factory finish inside the hull Gelcoat or Paint ?

tyee604

Anyone know what the factory finish inside the hull on 70’s Double Eagle
was it Gelcoat or Paint

They only had a gel coat floor when the floor/deck of the boat was part of the topside mold. Plywood floor paint.

They were gel-coated from the factory since early 70's. Late 80's you could order with one piece molded fibreglass liner or gel-coat. they used 6oz fibreglass cloth over the 1/2 plywood. Never had paint from factory.

They were gel-coated from the factory since early 70's. Late 80's you could order with one piece molded fibreglass liner or gel-coat. they used 6oz fibreglass cloth over the 1/2 plywood. Never had paint from factory.
Thank again, Just working on my DE project boat,
It’s been painted over factory finish and is peeling
Trying to find best solution to remove paint with out having to sand and dig into the fibreglass

My uncle was a restorer of vintage furniture when I was a kid amd he used a 50/50 mix of laquer thinner and methyl hydrate to remove thick layers of paint. Mix it up and apply liberally with a sponge. Let it soak in and paint would lift off in large sheets. Not sure how it would work on fibreglass though so I’d check on a non visible area first.

My uncle was a restorer of vintage furniture when I was a kid amd he used a 50/50 mix of laquer thinner and methyl hydrate to remove thick layers of paint. Mix it up and apply liberally with a sponge. Let it soak in and paint would lift off in large sheets. Not sure how it would work on fibreglass though so I’d check on a non visible area first.
Thanks for the tip @Sea lyin’
I have both on hand, will give it a go
Cheers

@Sea lyin’ Thought I would give you some feedback on your uncles formula
Tried it out today, Just wanted to say it works well
Thanks for sharing the tip

Back