53lber from Vancouver..no BS!!!!!

fishin_magician

Who says there are no big fish around Vancouver?

Just in from one of the popular launches around Vancouver (MacDonald Beach) where I saw a guy return from his fishing trip.

Since I don't get out fishing nearly as much I should, or used to, I decided I'd head out for a coffee and scope out a fishing report for the weekend...it's time to wet a line! Wasn't expecting to see anyone out, after all it's a Friday evening and the wind is blowing out of the Southeast and it's showery...

Of the lone boat that I saw return, I asked him how the fishing was.

He says he got a big one. I say...how big...he says big, the biggest he's ever caught...so I say..can I see? It's this old timer in an ancient 18 foot Double Eagle, which looked in very good shape with a brand spanking new Yamaha on the back... . I head down to his boat at the dock and where his wife was tending to the boat. I look on the floor of the boat, and partially covering the fish was a burlap sack...[:0]

It's a HOG! Haven't seen a fish that big in quite some time but instantly recognized it as a 50 plus from my days in the Charlottes...

I used a measuring tape he had on the boat and measured it up. Length of 48.5" by a girth of 29.5". Approximately 53 lbs.

He said it took him 35 minutes to land and he thought he had a seal for the first 10 minutes.

He said he was fishing a half mile off the T-10 marker at 77 feet with a Prism Flasher and a Rhys Davis Chrome Anchovy head with a single treble with a small anchovy. A quick look at his gear-- on old school 20 lb test with an old Daiwa 325 mooching reel on an old 11 foot Moocher.

Congratulations on the fish of a lifetime Dawn and Norm!

So...um...who's going fishing this weekend?

wow[:0]

biggest i'ver ever heard of outta vancouver was 44

Awsome report!!! Been hearing about some bigger fish around, but nothing even close to that!!! Congrats! :D

Drifted south from the QA in the am this morning and had one chuky undersize spring before heading back to the Cap and hitting three more with one a mere few cm's under the limit. Fished the freighters in the afternoon and hit a bunch more undersize on the afternoon charter, need to get out to the T10 this weekend and chase some hogs, saw a pair of twin 44 lb chromers from there at the end of last week.

Yesterday i wrked the T10 picked up a nice 15 lb spring and a few shakers, today went to the cap nothing much happening there. Should of headed back to the T10 today!!:D

quote:Originally posted by yo mama

Wow thats a long fish! I've seen 70+ pounders with that length but more girth.Good to here because there haven't been many caught this year.

Yep.

Tip of the nose to the fork of tbe tail. Most 40 lbers measure in about 42" by 27.5".

That fish was caught at the low slack @ 4pm yesterday (just a 2 foot swing betw. high and low tides).

The guy said he was having trouble hooking some dogfish for while before that..that's pretty unusual that far off the T-10 and when it hit, he thought it was another doggie...he pops it off the clip and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZinggggggggggggggggggggg....

i fished inside of T10 last week. got a few shakers and dogfish. but i found it annoying to fish there with all the commercial crab traps. ... should of fished outsided of T10... that is a great fish.

Awesome story. Good to see it be an old timer going old school...

Where is the T10 marker? long and lat if possible. What referance area is it close to -- sorry never heard of it

Fished there yesterday in the afternoon ,ran out of bait on under size...no dog fish though.

quote:Originally posted by flytyer

Where is the T10 marker? long and lat if possible. What referance area is it close to -- sorry never heard of it

T10 marker is South Southwest of the Iona Jetty. It's quite far offshore and in about 120 feet of water. It's off the middle Arm of the Fraser--a bit North of there. Most of the fish are caught in the North and South of the Market in 100 to 200 feet of water.

quote:Originally posted by Even-tide

Fished there yesterday in the afternoon ,ran out of bait on under size...no dog fish though.

I know of a couple of boats down there yesterday. No keepers for them, however they did encounter the dog fish problem, you have to speed up. Lots of undersize reported.

I read your report of the 4 footer yesterday afternoon FM, grabbed the keys beverages and was heading out the North Arm within 2 hours. Trolled T10 from around 4pm until 7. No keepers. One under from very close to the can. One dogfish from in shallow. One Pilchard. Fished 40 to 100. Mostly in close, less than 275 ft of water. Got a little wet and windy late in the day.

I managed to figure it out with the gps, went there today.
Could have walked from the can to shore off all the floats from the crabbers, they were out in force. Big waves as well, a south eastern blew in and blew it up with 2-3 footers. Had one on, but didnt make it to the boat, had a few under size and managed to fill the pound with all the dogs as well. Every thing was hit on chovies with purple haze and green
Went over to the Cap, very calm there but did not see a fish taken or played.

quote:Originally posted by flytyer

I managed to figure it out with the gps, went there today.
Could have walked from the can to shore off all the floats from the crabbers, they were out in force. Big waves as well, a south eastern blew in and blew it up with 2-3 footers. Had one on, but didnt make it to the boat, had a few under size and managed to fill the pound with all the dogs as well. Every thing was hit on chovies with purple haze and green
Went over to the Cap, very calm there but did not see a fish taken or played.

Hey Flytyer...

Any size to that one you had on? How long? Any particulars?

Lets just say that if i cut it behind the gills and tried to stretch it out, i would have been under by a couple:D. I ran from 85 feet right up to 40. Found the most action lower, but the puppies were there as well. I was hard with all the trap lines, wind and first time figuring out the high and low spots.I found most hits were just on the north east side of the can

Back