44lb Chinook is among run of big fish caught off Comox

yammy5

Published in the Comox Valley Echo...an interesting report!

How's this for size?
44lb Chinook is among run of big fish caught off Comox

Philip Round
Comox Valley Echo

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

When Steve Veloso guided his latest sport fishing visitor out of Comox Harbour on Saturday afternoon, he sensed it was going to be a good day.

"Fishing off Comox has been tremendous this year, unlike some other places in B.C.," he said.

"We've had lots of fish, and lately some really big ones have been coming through, so I thought 'this should be fun'."

But even he was taken aback by the size of the Chinook salmon hauled in - a monster at 44 pounds. And the lines had only been down for four minutes before the huge fish took bit.

"We kept going, but that was the only bite that day - but what a bite!" he said.

But there were more around on Sunday, when a 33 pounder was part of the catch in popular waters off Bates Beach.

"The fish are way bigger than in past years," said the Courtenay resident who has operated Island Pursuit Sport Fishing Charters out of Comox Harbour for the past three years.

"The Charlottes and West Coast have been slow this year, but somehow the Comox Valley is killing it. It's been awesome."

Veloso is just 24 years of age but has been guiding for 12 years, as his wider family is solidly rooted in the fishing industry so he learned the ropes early.

This year it looks like the difference in water temperatures between the west and east sides of Vancouver Island has helped channel more fish through the warmer Georgia Strait.

"Spring salmon, bottom, and crab fishing have been the best in years, and now the big ones are coming through - pulling charters down from Campbell River," he explained.

"The Comox Valley is quickly becoming a fishing destination hot spot, and has definitely proved it so far this year. Comox has been the most consistent fishing spot on the coast."

Hyper 1 - Veloso's 24ft Pursuit craft - is the only charter boat authorized to operate out of Comox Harbour, and this year tourists it has carried have included several from Germany and the United States as well as many sports fishing enthusiasts from Vancouver Island itself.

Go to www.vancouverislandsportfishing.ca for more information about Veloso's charters.

pround@comoxvalleyecho.com

Had the privilage to see that fish on the dock on Saturday.
Man that was a nice fish...... local top rod's on that boat.
Not sure I would say fishing around here is as great as this newspaper report say's it is.
It's more hit or miss but a few large have been caught.
2 or 3 years ago this place was on fire with limits most days.
This year one per boat or less is the norm.
Would I say it's worth a trip up here to fish?
Perhaps, but if your dialed in at your home port you are better off staying there.
If you do come here to fish, welcome and good luck on your trip.
PS... if you use Comox Harbour to launch try not to take two spots with your truck/trailer.
Last weekend there were a few that did and it was a cluster eff in the parking lot.
GLG

I'm surprised to read they are the only Operator licensed out of Comox ???

Nice fish.

I also find this hard to believe as I see lots of charter boats there.
Perhaps there is some kind of town license that I am not aware of....
Not being a guide I may be clueless in that regard.
GLG

Nice fish.

Agreed Lazoman were (Comox Valley Guides) are not sure what to think about that?? I guess I wasnt authorized to Guide out of Comox Harbour last night? Theres a few guides in town wondering about this statement.

Nice fish.

Likewise. Could someone please clarify that. I know of a couple of reputable charter operators that guide out of Comox Harbour.
It makes it sound like he's the only one available. I know he's a great guide but not the only one.

Maybe he is the only one the town has on file with an actual business license?

You dont need a Buisness Lisence on file to Launch your boat at a Public Boat Ramp which all 7 or 8 guides out of the Valley do. If you are a Charter Operator you fall under the umbrella of Transport Canada and there Regulations which are enforced by them and the RCMP. There is more than this info wrong on this article believe me. I know if you have your boat moored down there you have to give the City all your Buisness info.

Last edited by a moderator:
another 44 recently caught by Chris's better half i beleeves ....

http://www.crabbyscharters.com/

Chris44lb.jpg

fd

Ha ha same fish... He is one of those "top rod's" I spoke of.....
The pair of them make a good team....
Personally I think it was "puck luck" and a good rod man.
The guy on the wheel/net was critical too.
Could have been caught by a number of the guides here as they are good also.
For that matter, me too.
GLG

-first off no one is "authorized" to work out of the comox marina or any other marina that just BS......the reporter asked Steve twice about that and I'm not sure exactly what means......If anyone knows how I can get my company authorized to work out of the Comox Marina please ask them to call me......
-Duffer is right to guide in tidal or fresh waters legally in Canada your vessel must be Transport canada certified and inspected every year and the operator of that vessel must meet or exceed all current transport canada certification. Failure to do so can result in fines of up to $25,000......
- as far as Steve "guiding his latest sport fishing visitor" again that was't the case.......the fish Chris landed (see photo above) and is holding is the same fish Steve is holding in the article......a little fishy
- having exchanged e-mails with the reporter this morning there is more than a few things fishy about the photos and content It has more than a few guides wondering about why it came out the way it did......I'll leave it at that....

Perhaps a call to the paper or staff reporter for clarity would be in order, all of the charter guy's need to have a fair shake in these times imho.

Nice Fish none the less...

Getbent

I'm not sure which one is Bigger? Turned out to be good advertising though. I think Chris's is 38?? Wonder where they weighed it in? Should win the Gone Fishing derby with a 44 are they doing that this yr?

never met Steve but sounds like he can tell some pretty fishy stories. 'most consistent fishing on the coast'... Really?! Lol! The echo printed a statement that he had only one bite and one fish that day.

Yep, and it's been real slow on the west coast this year for sure.

Steve should get a shot in the ballz.

Good thing we ran Chris off the site though... Nothing much to contribute by the looks of it.

Sad days indeed...

the guy from the Echo called me today and wanted a list of charter operators working locally......he now knows that there is more than one charter company in the Comox area and things didnt add up.....some kind of clarification comming in Fridays paper.....too bad its always the headlines everyone remembers.....i got calls from guys up in Campbell River asking about the "authourized" part of the story.....and from two local resorts who I have done work for this season, asking me if I was "authorized" to work out of the comox marina....its too bad but if its in black and white most take it as the truth....ya the press sucks....

Back