4 downrigger spacing

Setting up new to me boat. 26' Osprey short cabin. Thinking ahead about running 4 downriggers. Pretty deadset on running 4 as I like a challenge and my normal crew is pretty savvy. Just curious on 2 thoughts I had on spacing. I've seen both ways done. For sockeye in freshwater, I run them like option 2 because I want all the gear really close together.

1. Run 2 at the corners of the stern, straight out back or 1 click in. 60" extensions all the way back and 12/15# balls. Then, since it's a short cabin, I can run a set about 11' forward and run them straight out the sides with 60" booms and 18/20# balls. Roughly 15' between the ends of the downriggers.

Pros... The downriggers ends are roughly 15' apart and with 15' drop backs the fronts *should* never tangle with the rears except possibly when the rear is dropping too fast.
Cons...... the bait/rigs from the front downrigger are really close to the balls on the rear riggers. Possibility of tangles or ball spooking fish?

2. Run all 4 near the stern. 2 middles straight back with 12/15#, and 2 outers pointing outward with 18/20#.

Pros... all the gear is behind the boat about same distance so if the fish bites front set, less distance to go before it's clear of the rear. Gear is also closer together which is definitely a plus for sockeye.
Cons.... definitely cannot turn sharp without raising the rears at least 20' up. More coordination dropping and turning in general.

Guess it could be a poll. Trying to figure out ahead of time because I'm doing Burnewiin mounts and want to drill holes onces. Thanks!
Where do you plan on fishing that the fishing is so slow you think you need 4?

I have 3 on my boat and very rarely use 3 unless fishing is really slow, the water is flat calm with no current, the fish are shallow and I have an experienced crew of at least 3 people on board. And it is rarely more productive due to tangles vs the number of fish caught.

Schooled is being on a boat with a good west coaster who can run two lines a downrigger covering 4 different depths and have four guys limited out in an hour or two with 16 fish. Amazing to see other people fishing solo, running 2x manuals and hammering but we are getting off topic.

Nothing against the guys with 4 plus down rigger setups and 4 plus plugs for electric reels, but like onefish said where does it end? It is cool to see members setups but be even cooler to see them run 6 lines, maybe throw a go pro on the radar arch for us? I'd love to learn ways to improve.

I've been temped to add more riggers, even use the "it's another place to put the bbq excuse", but I'm not as skilled as the real masters both guides and rec who can make two downriggers produce a ton of fish. I look at my videos and I'm critical of how I fish with 2-3 lines, I do set up 4 lines when it's slow and I have at least one experience person on board, but I'm rarely fishing with experienced people these days.

Keep the setups coming!

Where do you plan on fishing that the fishing is so slow you think you need 4?

I have 3 on my boat and very rarely use 3 unless fishing is really slow, the water is flat calm with no current, the fish are shallow and I have an experienced crew of at least 3 people on board. And it is rarely more productive due to tangles vs the number of fish caught.
Well not necessarily fishing is so slow, but rather there's a group of 4-5 people us that fish a lot together. We all know what we're doing and like running our own gear. Controlled mayhem is kinda fun to me, hence why I'm trying to have the capability to run 4 efficiently if I want.

it's all each to their own not against a person going out there with one rod and a dipsy diver heck Jiggers are doing better than guys trolling when they get it right and on fish ....
as Mitch says its a kinda controlled may hem........ go look at the video's of the guys on the great lakes running 6-10 rods at times ..
if i am the only boat out there why not .......in the pack not going to run more than 2-3 in crowds go try fish sandheads on openning day .....lol

To add... granted speeds are way slower, but in my 17' jet sled, I run 4 downriggers and 4 lead rods for sockeye in our lake fisheries. 8 rods for 4 of us. Each person mans a downrigger and 1 lead rod.

I've got the spacing, dropbacks, release lengths and lead weights dialed in to where, believe it or not, I get very few tangles. The only time I ever tangle is when a fish hits and swims straight at the boat. Doubles are more common than singles and triples and quads happen every day. Most of ever landed at once was 6 fish. All hit within a 10 second span and we landed all 6 no tangles.

In a sockeye fishery... keeping gear in the water while fighting fish is the most important part because you have to keep the school with you. Not so much for kings, but something about those big clusters is fun to me.

For sure, for Sockey we have landed lots of triples running 4 rods. Seems you get one on, while running 4 flashers then the bite comes on. We had three spring doubles this summer, maybe we would have had more if we left the dummy flasher at a similar depth as the side waiting to get hit, but I like to clear one side at least for netting. Are you guys leaving 3 riggers down when you get a nice fish on your 4th rigger?

if i get a decent fish on then its clear the other lines taking a chance on losing it when solo but done it a few times and landed ok when going for springs and stacking only fish the two outside bottom rods with flashers / hoochies spoons and bait pulled straight and 20' up so again few tangles and do slow wide turns ...

Yeah its got room for 6....can run a nice school of tomics of there. I rarely clear rods for fish, just fish around the riggers. Probably will only run the full collection with a few guys who know the drill.....beam is something like 16'5".

Attachments

• 20231103_140550.jpg
    20231103_140550.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 102
For sure, for Sockey we have landed lots of triples running 4 rods. Seems you get one on, while running 4 flashers then the bite comes on. We had three spring doubles this summer, maybe we would have had more if we left the dummy flasher at a similar depth as the side waiting to get hit, but I like to clear one side at least for netting. Are you guys leaving 3 riggers down when you get a nice fish on your 4th rigger?
Usually with sockeye I never pull any lines. Long net handles with very shallow bags help a lot. 2 nets are a must. Telescoping handle kokanee nets work great.

Usually with sockeye I never pull any lines. Long net handles with very shallow bags help a lot. 2 nets are a must. Telescoping handle kokanee nets work great.
I just run 40lb mono leaders and boat flip the sockeye, but my freeboard ain’t much

I run 4 all the time in Vancouver and when not structure 6 kinda is the norm. If I’m elsewhere on the coast 4 rods out almost all the time-no tangles.

Not to say I don’t get the odd tangle but I usually get a tangle when someone is at the helm who doesn’t execute a turn properly when the gear is spaced tightly together. I almost always fish upsized gear selecting larger quality fish anyways and I’d much rather have a fish in half the time between bites or even faster. Expectant guests in on board appreciate it too when they look over and see others fishing fewer rods.

If I’m not guiding and drinking a pop I’ll do 2 when I’m lazy.

To each their own.

well one thing i wanna try for Sok's is the small kiddies slide off the back water pump running and water slide them straight into the cooler no netting ... thats got to be a blast .....lol

The interesting I found too is for sockeye I like running the FWD port/starboard riggers shallow and the AFT riggers deep. Short 2' release clips and 3' dropbacks.

But for chinook and saltwater, it seems like the opposite works better. Running FWD riggers deep and AFT riggers shallow.

Yeah its got room for 6....can run a nice school of tomics of there. I rarely clear rods for fish, just fish around the riggers. Probably will only run the full collection with a few guys who know the drill.....beam is something like 16'5".
What is that beast?

Back