3rd downrigger

highlights

For the guys that are running a third downrigger off the stern what are you doing about your sonar picking up noise from the cannonball.
Are you running your transducer in the standard position off the transom below the water line or are people doing through hulls midship?

Thanks

Never noticed a problem on my sounder even when using a 3rd down the middle with multiple dummies on it. My transducer is transom mounted

yup! confirmed! never ever had a problem... in fact, the third rigger seems to pick up the biggest fish most of the time.... (i realize it's cause it usually is the the shallow rod [:p]) Don't hesitate to get it mounted highlights cause you won't regret it!

highlights, I used 2 downriggers for 15 years stacking 4 rods. It was always painfull cleaning the gear off if you were in weeds. You were out of the water for minutes at a time trying to keep it clean.

5 years ago I put the 3rd downrigger out the back and went from 4 rods to 3, one on each rigger. My production went way up because the gear can be checked in secounds.

The other big part is to have the ability to target the same depth. If the fish are bitting at 60 feet, all three lures can fish at 60.

I normally run the back rigger shallower than the sides and run my side deeper as I can get to it and bring it up if needed quick.

I am thinking adding 3rd rigger also. Where do you like to mount the 3rd rigger. I have swim grid/motor pod with twin outboards, and a kicker on the port side. Do you have problems if trolling with the main engines, IE DR line hitting motors or props. Any other feedback or install hints is appreciated.

Thanks

Eastpoint,

Hmm, always have fished the 3rd down the deepest also the farthest back behind the boat. When I fish more than 1 rigger at the same depth I always keep them apart by keeping one close to the boat and the other farther back. I don't like to much gear in the same space, tends to spook more than attract.

Hey eastpoint. Mine is mounted in the middle of the boat. I use an 8 inch pedestal mount with a swivel base. I have a podded boat as well and the 60" long arms clear my big motor easily. The swivel mount is mandatory to get your ball away from the motor when you check you gear and I use a retriever line to pull the gear in. I use 15's on the side and a 12 on the back rigger and that seems to keep the gear clear of the motors as well... like codfather said, my production went way up after installing the 3rd rigger and the hassle of having stacked gear is a distant memory. Hope that helps ya.

Thanks for the tips guys. Looking at my transom since your comments, I can't mount in the middle as I have a fish box there, but I can mount near middle on side opposite the kicker. I think the pedestal will be required and of course the swivel mount.

I have never liked the confusion of stacking rods. And if the lines tangle if can be really fun.

Eastpoint

Yes gone are the days when I would stack. Four rods off the down riggers and two flat lines out the back. Holy Mackeral......those bastards destroyed all hope when running that many lines. I found that too many line tend to scare off the big some ***** kings LOL

I would run a flaher/teaser combo on the bottom left with only a teaser line stacked above it. The opposite would be run on the other side of the boat. Flaher line on the top and the teaser only on the bottom. I found that the big springs liked that choice.

Still too much hassel now so I am inclined to drop another electric off the back.

See how it goes.

HL

Anyone run a 3rd rigger behind twin power? Would be interested to see some pics of the set up.

Tx,

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back