3D printed plugs

What was your print time on that
1:34 … I slowed the print down to get better quality. It took me 6 attempts to get the supports correct to print it standing but I finally got it. I am not happy with the nose so I am going to try it lying down tonight and see how it comes out.

How much infill are you using?

My guess is it cost me under 30 cents to print. I could figure it out exactly when I get home but it’s pennies. The glow filament will cost a bit more but still Pennie’s not dollars to print.
Most slicing software will allow you enter the filament cost per roll and give an estimate of cost of the print based on the parameters you've asked for. But ya I would say $0.50 would be an overly generous estimate even with some infill.

If you remove the name Tomic style and do even the slightest alteration it becomes just another variation of a plug. Even if you decide to sell good luck someone taking you to court on copyright infringements if it isn’t exact to the tinniest detail.

Tomic is still in business, are you breaking any law or copyright or unwritten agreement by doing an exact clone of their product?
Only if he sells them and it would take a ton of money to make it stick unless it turned into a competitive business that made a ton of money to make it worth it and it only need to be some small percentage different in design
And by definition it’s different it’s 3d printed

I’m no expert, but I am not sure if trademarks or copyrights apply to lure design. Maybe specific painted patterns or logos. There are lots of different plug manufacturers out there, so as long as you don’t call it a Tomic you might be ok. And don’t sell it. Disclaimer: I am 65% retarded.

Fired up my 3D printer with some different glow filament and started printing some tomic/J plug style plugs ! Working on different sizes (4"-8"), maybe some tubbys. These are just blanks and will get some airbrushing in our favourite patterns.

Tight lines!

What brand/model of printer are you running?

Last edited:
The issue is using the TRADE name in any way while selling in any form of commerce, even as a hobby. The design may or may not have been patented. In Canada, that is only protection for 19 Years. Businesses pick and choose their battles. For the most part first to market, brand and longevity of the product will always win out in the market place overall, especially a high quality Canadian or USA made product. Knock-off's happen all the time, some stay some go. Cool to see the technology at work.

Back