34-40’ Boat Rental

saanauk

Thinking about doing a cruising trip next summer to Desolation Sound or sonwhere like that. Anyone ever rented a boat for a trip like that? Thinking about a week or ten days. Looks like there are several places that charter boats in the desired size.

My Seasport is fine for a couple of guys to spend a week on but looking to do the trip with the wife and kid. The current 24’ boat doesn’t really meet the criteria for a week long cruise with the family.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

We chartered a 38 Bayliner 3888 out of Nanaimo. (Nanaimo Yacht Charters) Great boat for 2 couples. Easily handled with twins. It is a different boat but they still have a 3888.
Desolation Sound Yacht Charters is closer to Desolation sound so might be an option. Charters are pretty pricey now but are a lot of fun

We did a 6 day charter last summer on a 38' CHB.
It wasn't cheap, but compared to owning.... it was CHEAP!!!!!!!!!
We are looking to do it again.

We did a 6 day charter last summer on a 38' CHB.
It wasn't cheap, but compared to owning.... it was CHEAP!!!!!!!!!
We are looking to do it again.
Yeah way cheaper than owning. I want to try out a bigger boat for a trip to see if owning one down the road is something for me.

Who did you charter through?

I have bareboat chartered with Anacortes Yacht Charters (AYC) several times. Absolutely the best vacations that my wife and I have ever done. Not cheap but far cheaper than actually owning a yacht of that size. We've always gone with Nordic Tugs but that's just our personal preference.

Do it. You will have a blast!

If you make it to Desolation sound check out my uncles lodge up there. Homfray Lodge. Beautiful.

If you make it to Desolation sound check out my uncles lodge up there. Homfray Lodge. Beautiful.

Who's your uncle? Are we talking the Masey's or Pacific Coastal Cruises & Tours that took over a couple years ago. Just curious if it has gone back to the original owners yet? Wonderful place when the Masey's ran it. New management not very welcoming unless you are booking a cabin and eating in there restaurant. No transient moorage available. Hopefully the business model reverts back to what it was.

Who's your uncle? Are we talking the Masey's or Pacific Coastal Cruises & Tours that took over a couple years ago. Just curious if it has gone back to the original owners yet? Wonderful place when the Masey's ran it. New management not very welcoming unless you are booking a cabin and eating in there restaurant. No transient moorage available. Hopefully the business model reverts back to what it was.

Macey's. I have not been up there since Pacific Coastal. Too bad about the moorage.

https://youriguide.com/vN1RY6CENJPND1?page=gallery

How do I suscribe to this; I guess just reply so I get notifications. :)

We are looking to do the same trip next August with another couple but will likely go out of Campbell River due to its proximity into Desolation Sound.

Going out of Campbell River gives you lots of options. Octopus Islands are beautiful. Blind Channel area is worth a look. The Broughton's are worth checking out depending on time and weather allowances. If you don't run the johnstone straits then you are in mostly protected water. Philips Arm and Loughborough Inlet are worth a look. Most importantly know your current tables. Five sets of rapids in the Stuart Island area that need to be respected, especially in a bigger boat.

Going out of Campbell River gives you lots of options. Octopus Islands are beautiful. Blind Channel area is worth a look. The Broughton's are worth checking out depending on time and weather allowances. If you don't run the johnstone straits then you are in mostly protected water. Philips Arm and Loughborough Inlet are worth a look. Most importantly know your current tables. Five sets of rapids in the Stuart Island area that need to be respected, especially in a bigger boat.

Agreed with all you have said....have been up a number of times. Teakearne Arm will be a must do....likely avoid the parking lot that is Pendrell.

I would also be interested in any other information people have about doing a trip to Desolation Sound. I have never been to that area and also have not spent much time on large slow boats.

The other option I though about was running my boat up and seeing if I could find places to stay that are not crazy expensive. Once you start adding up two rooms per night it seems like just renting a boat looks more reasonable.

I would also be interested in any other information people have about doing a trip to Desolation Sound. I have never been to that area and also have not spent much time on large slow boats.

The other option I though about was running my boat up and seeing if I could find places to stay that are not crazy expensive. Once you start adding up two rooms per night it seems like just renting a boat looks more reasonable.

So many great spots to go. Feel to send me a PM.

• Mink Island is a good anchorage at the bottom of Desolation.
  • Teakearne Arm is my favourtie. Anchor in by the waterfall and you can go have a shower in the freshwater falls....nice lake for a swim up above as well. Spend a few days there each time and generally not more than a couple of other boats.
  • Pendrell Sound has nice warm(er) water but it's just so frickin' busy in the summer. It's like a parking lot in there.
  • Octopus Islands as mentioned earlier are great....the "Driftwood Museum" is a great thing to see. Bring somehting to add to the old cottage; a family owns the island in and amongst Octopus group and people just add stuff to the interior.
  • Prideaux Haven is nice as well but can be busy.
  • Only placed we ever tied up to a dock was at Dent on our last or second to last night. Good eats and the tidal rapids are crazy to check out......but the water is frickin cold!!!!! (I have a nut that still may not be descended)

Back