25 bertram restoration

I almost had a stroke last year when I bought a sheet of 1/2 and 3/4 o_O:eek:

Beautiful work Quinn

Good advertising for Awlgrip paint and a talented painter in those reflection pictures.I really like what you came up with to solve that crazy transom shape with your pod.Not easily done,I'm sure you spent a lot of hours on that.Is the boat at your dad's place in Sooke or at your place ,I'd love to see it at some point ?

Won't know till January once we are done spending money on her. We haven't added her up but I don't think this one will be priced as a build, it's a bit of a special boat and I'm so happy with how the build is coming so it will command its own price tag based on the final outcome of the build .
I'll be posting more pics so you can see how things wrap up and it will give you a sense of when it will go for sale.

Cheers,
Quinn

As others have stated...very nice work Quinn, very impressive.
Curious as to the size of fuel tank she has on board...got me thinking of a certain fishery....
Any idea of the weight that you estimate to have removed?

Thanks,
Guy

Curious as to the size of fuel tank she has on board...got me thinking of a certain fishery....

Thanks,
Guy

heehehehe after this year fishery... u may need 500 gallon tanks :)

Last edited:
I knew exactly what you were hinting at getbent, cause this hull is meant to go offshore. We replaced the tank with an 80 gallon plastic one.
The only fatal flaw to these boats were the fiberglass fuel tanks they put in them. Fiberglass and gasoline don't get along, so we pulled the tank and replaced it and we also installed the better fuel sender that's a donut on a stick, way better than the floppy float arms that standard tanks come with.
The factory fuel tank was an engineering marvel though, it looked like it belonged in an old spitfire fighter plane, the fuel sender plates were full of a dozen fine thread bolts with airplane wiring for each head.

The next Bertram 25 we have ready for restoration had mid ship motors with shafts so the fuel tanks are farther forward, the engines were mid ship. With the fuel tanks forward and a huge empty engine compartment mid ship, that boat would accept more fuel for really long range

IMG_0141.JPG

Got the bulkhead sliders in place today and began to trim it out. A bit more fitting required and a pair of stainless door handles still to go in but I'm happy with how this is coming along

Thanks,
Guy

The new hondas are 478 each x 2 = 968 lbs,
The pair of inboards with legs were 1300 lbs so we shed 332lbs plus the weight of the flybridge ( 200 lbs with ladder?)

IMG_0142.JPG
I got the badges back from the powder coaters today along with the rod holder rack/radar mount/vhf mounts.
Puts a bit of bling back on this 50 year old gal. The originals were in amazing shape with zero corrosion,just the original chrome was no good.

IMG_0144.JPG

It took a hundred measurements all over the place for my father and I to get everything lined up but most importantly, keeping the maximum headroom we can get to the cabin opening and still get the doors to open fully.
It's a really nice wide doorway. You don't feel like you have to pull your shoulders in to enter. You just waltz in.

IMG_0145.JPG

Here's the radar / rod holder / vhf mounts / mast light rack. We had it powder coated as well.

Powder coating in the marine world works great now that there is a pre epoxy coat before your powder coat colour goes on and the cost of the epoxy is so little so don't ever not ask for epoxy coat. (It can bleed through on some coLora like white as a blue translucence , especially around welds. Just hand it back to the powder coaters for another round . They know, and they never say no.

Island powder coating on dunford ave is so good and so affordable. Victoria powder coating is farther down the road from the train tracks. They don't provide half the quality or speedy service. Those guys are stupid fast.

Back