25 bertram restoration

The electrical work is inspired. Great planning and execution.

I can completely understand putting that kind of effort and quality into a boat you are building for yourself, but to do the same on a boat that you will be selling is a rarity. It is nice to see craftsmanship is still honoured and appreciated.

Thanks for all the compliments.

You'd never believe that she just turned 50 this year. That's right, she was made in 1966 and she's better built Han today's boats.
I've been told that back then builders weren't sure what fiberglass could or couldn't do so thy laid them up heavy.

What impressed me the most is that the original rub rail is straight as an arrow which shows how little testing took place in the hull over 50 years. Then one day while looking up under the gunnels I noticed that EVERY rub rail bolt-nut is individually fiberglassed and that's why every bolt is still there.

Solid glass stringers (no wood) 8" wide and the deck mold when it was dropped in was gype-glassed where it meets the hull and there's not one crack in the gype anywhere. Again that shows how little the hull has flexed and twisted.

These are just amazing boats, that's why we grabbed two of them

Thanks again everyone. I'll post more pics as I go

Btw - we removed the flybridge and railings and can install that if the buyer wants but most of us up here don't want them.
There's a chance someone south of the border might buy her so we are keeping the stuff in case they want that painted too.

IMG_1184.JPG

Got the bulkhead off to a good start today. Still some starboard trim to go on, then I can go to work on the twin sliding doors

I have small fiberglass painted triangles that cover the small window portions that peak out past the bulkhead , just haven't got to them yet

IMG_1194.JPG

I took 32" out of the dog house and made a bench seat to cover the batteries. The space in front of the new dog house has a large and deep fish box with macerator pump that was custom made to look like the other deck hatches

it is really hard to say to it is a 1966, more like we found a 1966 mold and built a new boat in 2016. i too am in awe!

Beautifully done Quinn,I have some history with those hulls,I worked at Canoe Cove back in the 70's and 80's,they had the molds for it and produced a few for customers with deep pockets. They are great hulls as far as ride goes but they do require lot's of power because of the extreme deep V that doesn't vary from stem to stern.Your pod should help some by extending the hull.Are you planning a rear steering station,I think most people will want that or some kind of remote steering. I just cut my dashboard out of my boat this week to mount my 2 Simrad MFD's as you've done on this boat,I hope mine turns out as nice as yours. Is your dashboard material aluminum or plastic,I need to find someone to do mine?

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments Rayvon. I've got a friend named Colin that used to work at we don yachts and before that he was at canoe cove and he told me all about the molds they had. I was on the phone to them right away. They still have them but they are in a field and they don't think they would survive the trip to their yard.

We've seen a few 25's with twin 150's so I'm hoping it's the right power package. This boat came with twin four cylinder inboards and my research has told me that the same boats that came with twin 6cyl motors were a problem because of too much aft weight, the 4cyl power was the right balance. For the 6cyl boats , Lead ingots were required in the bow. We've lightened her up a bunch and like you said, the waterline is now extended and a full hull pod will displace more water so things should be ok.

My steering station is factory fiberglass, I extended the height to accommodate the extra displays. The black panel is abs plastic. Horrible to cut because jig saw blades heat things and turn it gooey. I found the best way to cut it was with the most aggressive blade I could get and I cut in short bursts so the blade can cool.

IMG_1197.JPG

Kids are on Xmas break so my 8 year old daughter helped me cut hatches, install the seat bench base , install the interior hull panel and she and I dado'Ed some 3/4" starboard for the v-berth entrance and teak bulkhead floor trim.
She'd spend every day working with me if school didn't stand in the way. Best apprentice ever.

We think of oil as an investment commodity and it is, but I think another commodity to focus on is king starboard. Our "good guy" price for a sheet of 3/4" was 560.00 for a slab of plastic....crazy

Back