23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
So i found the outside window gaskets to be very similar to common gasket spline...

View attachment 52865
Just went over the 40yr old hourston windshield BS. Cabin had shifted to the port and the windows jumped out gaskets. Previous owner had just clear silicone band aided it. Removed gaskets and cleaned with xylene then acetone and a hot bath to relax em back similar to factory. Squared up cabin with ratchet strap and test fit windows. Installed inner gaskets with some black permatex polyurethane and let cure. Applied good bead of same goop and installed window with more goop and outer seals. Let cure and looks good as a guy can ask out an old tub.
https://imgur.com/gallery/exQbk2t

Sorry, I’ll leave...

no no don't be sorry, I am "Jk" yanking ya chain a bit, I got allot of it as a new commer, you are more than welcome to post here, I will probably run into this issue soon enough and so will others... :) seriously, its all GOOD! Sorry was having Covid moment, again :eek:@Doubleheader

no no, Jk yanking ya chain a bit, I got allot of it as a new commer, you are more than welcome to post here, I will probably run into this issue soon enough... :) @Doubleheader
All good I, been called worse by better and got thick skin HA. You do very nice work and it’s good to see you sharing your knowledge and info. Very helpful for those wanting to resurrect these old tubs...

Taylormade has lots of gasket stuff online for their frame systems. Have a look maybe you'll get lucky.

Taylormade has lots of gasket stuff online for their frame systems. Have a look maybe you'll get lucky.

I really need to get lucky right about now... yikes! With finding these gaskets I mean :)

what about talking to automotive glass shops to see if they know of any sources?

On it, great idea! I think I found a supplier for the channel... those could definitely not be reused!

Last edited:
All good I, been called worse by better and got thick skin HA. You do very nice work and it’s good to see you sharing your knowledge and info. Very helpful for those wanting to resurrect these old tubs...

Thank man! Ya lots of unforeseen little things, as good as you think you have it all planned out, some of the little details get missed, no biggy :) I am sure there will be allot more before its all over... haha

I like @wolf setup.

92913266_10157820928906084_6128153264572596224_n.jpg

Just went over the 40yr old hourston windshield BS. Cabin had shifted to the port and the windows jumped out gaskets. Previous owner had just clear silicone band aided it. Removed gaskets and cleaned with xylene then acetone and a hot bath to relax em back similar to factory. Squared up cabin with ratchet strap and test fit windows. Installed inner gaskets with some black permatex polyurethane and let cure. Applied good bead of same goop and installed window with more goop and outer seals. Let cure and looks good as a guy can ask out an old tub.
https://imgur.com/gallery/exQbk2t

That looks like fine good work! well done... :) As I mentioned some of my outside seals were so hardened they just broke while trying to remove so I have to find a replacement, the inside ones are salvageable which I think would be the harder one's to find.

Last edited:
call a glazer. my wife’s cousin is a glazer and he has catologues full of seals, gaskets etc. he’s on van city but there’s gotta be a guy in red deer

@Robert Snyder Are you getting those photos of gaskets off Hitech Glazing Supplies website? I'm a glazier and they are down the street from my work. Maybe Richelieu has a branch closer to you but worst case scenario, I could get some sent your way.
https://www.hitechglazing.com/ca/en...ng-spline/glazing-spline/1175346/sku-WDFV3013

Does the channel gasket hold the window frame together? Or could you wet glaze the glass into place with black silicone? Or a wedge gasket on either side of the glass?

Thank you @Corey_lax , yes I found this channel at Richelieu, my buddy has an account and can get for $11/70" piece. The biggest challenge is finding the outside gasket, it needs to be app 7/8" in height so I think this one at the AdvanTec Store will work although I would like to find one with more bards, Thx @Sir Reel ...

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 1.40.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 9.25.29 AM.png

This might work

Ya I like the void in the centre that can compress, what is that stuff? Is there a part number, who is the supplier? About 3/4" tall that could work...

Thx @Corey_lax

Ya I like the void in the centre that can compress, what is that stuff? Is there a part number, who is the supplier? About 3/4" tall that could work...

Thx @Corey_lax
I don’t have a part number. It’s a gasket for a CR Laurence / US Aluminum 7200 series window. CRLaurence has a facility in Calgary so maybe you could phone them and get contacts for some glaziers out your way that might have stock of it. I doubt CRL would sell you a small amount of it.

otherwise I have about 1500’ of it here and haven’t used it in over ten years so I can ship some to you if need be.

Attachments

• ED6179D9-79F6-4DF7-B804-E650D4205505.png
    ED6179D9-79F6-4DF7-B804-E650D4205505.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
Back