23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
A lot of good points already made on both sides of the situation but only you can say what strikes at your heart the most or even what is most realistic. I can say that I went through some pain and agony about 5 years ago when I was ready to make a considerable investment in my next and what I hope to be my last boat. Do I pod that boat I had? Do I buy a Grady...Pursuit or similar from down South? Do I buy a brand new fiberglass or aluminum off of a dealer? I even inquired and had the price listing from Hourston to have a new 26' built when they were still up and running. In the end I went with a build but it just happened to be aluminum. The one thing that held me back for almost 3 years besides fear and common sense was everyone always talking about market conditions...fishing restrictions....global warming....FN's and just about anything else you can think of to rain on my parade....lol In the end only you can say if your situation allows you to continue on and finish this project and still sleep sound at night. During the entire time before I finally pulled the trigger on my build I can tell you one thing and that's the boats that I was considering NEVER went down in price and for the most part the demand for quality was always there as well. Is it worth finishing a boat that will cost more than even the best intentions at the start? Only you know. Everyone is in a different situation family wise...financially and even mentally especially these days. With that said from one that has gone through parts of what you may be experiencing now go with what feels best as you only go around once and with strange times ahead how you get to spend quality time may also be less. I for one have no regrets and sleeping with my decision isn't a problem! lol :D Good Luck!

I disagree with these guys. If you're in financial dire straits don't let your pride sink you deeper. All the glass work you've done is what will give this boat it's eventual "value". Completing it to your standard will only put you further in the hole or frustrate you to no end that you can't do a proper job as you'll be constantly thinking about the cost vs. your moral obligation to do what's best for the boat. People that make money building to flip don't have that in them, it's all just business. Most profit for the least work and in the end that'll be who you're competing with when selling.

This is why I build houses for clients rather than flip for myself as well. I can't bury the ********.

Hey guys, again you all never cease to surprise me with overwhelming support and encouragement, thank you for reaching out to a person that most have never meet. I can’t say this enough, I so appreciate being on this forum and all the help I have received. Thank you also to all the private messages and to the silent followers... all of you are awesome!

I will be hanging onto the boat, for now, my wife is in no panic to let it go either and is still looking forward to future adventures, heck my mother-in-law is so excited to spend time on her :)

Also you are right, the value is not necessarily in the object by rather in the process, this will be a very pride infused project and I will “literally” have touched every inch.of this boat once done.

I will know the boat but will not know her true limits, haha

thank you all again,
Rob

Last edited:
I disagree with these guys. If you're in financial dire straits don't let your pride sink you deeper. All the glass work you've done is what will give this boat it's eventual "value". Completing it to your standard will only put you further in the hole or frustrate you to no end that you can't do a proper job as you'll be constantly thinking about the cost vs. your moral obligation to do what's best for the boat. People that make money building to flip don't have that in them, it's all just business. Most profit for the least work and in the end that'll be who you're competing with when selling.

This is why I build houses for clients rather than flip for myself as well. I can't bury the ********.

you are so right!

I have learned along time ago not to make things personal although there is a fine line of being or should I say having pride in your work and letting pride get into the way of making stupid decisions.

I too have built homes and done flips before steering my company towards retail construction. Atm I am not in financial dire straits by no means but I do see your logical point and approach, I also agree many wait until it’s too late before making the hard choice to move on and let things go as a sacrifice. I’m no where close to that and hope I never will.

My reaction has been prompted by the economic downturn and uncertainty of immediate recovery, like us all we have no idea how our world will recover or what the “new” normal will be.

As usual thank you for a different “sugar free” perspective...

Last edited:
I say continue to finish it as you have gone this far now BUT things like fly by wire and "extra" that really dont need to be put on our makes it purdy relax a bit that **** starts adding up VERY fast 5 grand here 3 grand there 2 grand there etc .

You have to ask yourself is this part really worth it.... do I need gold plated sink knobs?? LOL

Cables are easy and cheap and have been on boats FOREVER and easy to replace , Start with the teflon coated ones. ive had the same cables on my boat now for over 15 years only one i did replace as it was a bit "stiff" in my eyes was the lil short one that goes from the leg to shifter... trust me you will feel if a cable needs replacing... spend the money on the things that need to operate it I see guys putting 15 grand worth of electronics in boat and I shake my head do i really need to see that fish thats 450 feet down?? NO or a stereo system thats 5 grand ummmm NO its a boat I have a fusion stereo and speakers the cost me 140 bucks it plays music good enough....

Good luck with it and like I said before if you come to the coast and want to go on a hourston call me ...

Wolf

I say continue to finish it as you have gone this far now BUT things like fly by wire and "extra" that really dont need to be put on our makes it purdy relax a bit that **** starts adding up VERY fast 5 grand here 3 grand there 2 grand there etc .

You have to ask yourself is this part really worth it.... do I need gold plated sink knobs?? LOL

Cables are easy and cheap and have been on boats FOREVER and easy to replace , Start with the teflon coated ones. ive had the same cables on my boat now for over 15 years only one i did replace as it was a bit "stiff" in my eyes was the lil short one that goes from the leg to shifter... trust me you will feel if a cable needs replacing... spend the money on the things that need to operate it I see guys putting 15 grand worth of electronics in boat and I shake my head do i really need to see that fish thats 450 feet down?? NO or a stereo system thats 5 grand ummmm NO its a boat I have a fusion stereo and speakers the cost me 140 bucks it plays music good enough....

Good luck with it and like I said before if you come to the coast and want to go on a hourston call me ...

Wolf

Hey Wolf, I have been waiting for you :D

Ya, you have good points as well and I may have to be practical and reassess the "wants vs needs", the boat hasn't really been to costly to date and as far as continuing the construction phase, I think a few more sheets of plywood and maybe another 5'er of resin so I am almost out of the woods with construction phase. Only 5 more phases to go... LOL

I guess that second boat 17-18'er is out of the question, for now!

construction phase
paint phase
hardware phase
interior finish phase
electronic phase
repower phase

When someone builds stuff its "never" finished how many carpenters or electricians have their own house completed LOL they get to a certain spot and they bored and "ill get to that later" kicks in buddy I know has about maybe 5 hours of trim work to "finish" it, well been sitting like that for almost 15 years now its just a standing joke LOL
You can get it done and still make it your boat functional spend it where it needs it most on a good Engine with low hours or better yet a brand new one with a 5 year warranty.

As i hate to say this but if you do flip it that has a better re sale option...
Wolf

Moving right along ;), I got the side pieces glassed in yesterday and trimed up this morning, they look great and strong! I used 1.5oz cm on this lamination...

IMG_0120.jpeg IMG_0121.jpeg IMG_0122.jpeg IMG_0119.jpeg IMG_0123.jpeg IMG_0124.jpeg

Last edited:
just starting on the front section...

IMG_0125.jpeg IMG_0127.jpeg IMG_0126.jpeg

Roof rebuild complete, just finished replacing and glassing the 3 front pieces... 2 x 1oz cm and 1 x 1.5oz cm, ill trim tomorrow am...

IMG_0136.jpeg IMG_0130.jpeg IMG_0131.jpeg IMG_0135.jpeg

So been thinking about raising the roof thingy :) Thinking this will cost at least $3000 for windows alone and about another $1000 for plywood, resin and cloth, not to mention my time, which is free right now...LOL

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 7.26.38 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm just trying to clean up these old windows, all I can say is "WOW" how on earth do you get these water tight...? Has anyone gone through the process? I guess buy shares in Silicone, lol

I wonder how much to get things resealed professionally, I guess I can do anything they can?

I'm just trying to clean up these old windows, all I can say is "WOW" how on earth do you get these water tight...? Has anyone gone through the process? I guess buy shares in Silicone, lol

I wonder how much to get things resealed professionally, I guess I can do anything they can?
Talk to @myles he just did some hourston windows

I rebuilt a Hourston window frame a number of years ago, bought the track and the T bolts from a local marine supplier(Payne’s marine). I wouldn’t say they were water tight but they slid nice, costly tho

You have to remember the higher you go the tipper it will be up top, you are already adding alot more weight with all the resins and fiberglass you want to keep the stability of the boats integrity close to the same keep it the same as it was would be my vote.
The added costs involved have to ask yourself is it worth the extra money for a place to sit??? lm sure you could use the money elsewhere...

Fyi take a wander over at coastal crafts site here: https://www.coastalcraft.com/33-profish/

My slip neighbor on the Coast has one of the 33 profish boats. Ajr builds the windows for these boats and you can see the styling. I think that with way you're building your pilot house, you can do what you want to buy a window system and forget about screening around attempting to integrate your old frame that was designed for a totally different style of pilot house. I have been watching an abermarle have its existing frame restored and they spent a horrendous amount of time and money trying to get it to seal up.

Back