23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
yer handy..make one;)

throw some humour into it.

Quick update on the roof: I ended up reusing the side pieces, once I dried them out and cleaned them up they didn't seem to be too bad. In doing so I added a layer of 1/2 ply onto existing for a bit more "meat" for the windshield screws. The added ply was resined in place and brad nailed to the existing 1"X1" dimensional strip...

I also sanded down and scrubbed all the dirt from the rest of the sections and coated with resin to protect... I must say things are looking much better :)

IMG_0106.jpeg IMG_0107.jpeg IMG_0108.jpeg IMG_0109.jpeg IMG_0110.jpeg IMG_0111.jpeg IMG_0112.jpeg IMG_0114.jpeg
37FBF13A-FC2C-4131-AECB-ABF4B6A5B9ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, I need to pass something by you guys as I know some will understand...

I know we are all facing uncertain times and as guys/men we are the “fixers” in the family but this uncertainty we can not fix rather we just have to wait it out and see how it all comes together and plays out.

I am not financially in die’er straights by no means but defiantly rethinking what things will look like over the next year once things start to open up and ways to possibly reapply my skill-set to conform to the changes if need be.

To the point - Im not sure whether to get out from under the Hourston and possibly get something in the 18’ range that still gets me on the water? I still have the pontoon boat which I will be keeping for summer fun on interior lakes...? Whats your thought O wise ones, lol ;)

...maybe I am over thinking things, again! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know, I know you guys want to see this through, heck I do as well, I spent allot of effort bringing this rebuild to where it’s at today and it would really really break my heart to change direction.

Apart from placing bulkheads and glassing in V berth, I think it’s pretty much under control, it needs sanding, painting and finishes of course!

hummm, lots to think about??

If you are not comfortable sharing here openly please PM me your opinion or advice, thank you

A ton of uncertainty moving forward. And what if this Covid BS becomes a reoccurring issue? Who knows what things could look like 2, 5 or 10 years down the road.

I vote for keeping on with the build but it’s always easier to spend someone else’s money. If really has to fit into your comfort zone.

I know, I know you guys want to see this through, heck I do as well, I spent allot of effort bringing this rebuild to where it’s at today and it would really really break my heart to change direction.

Apart from placing bulkheads and glassing in V berth, I think it’s pretty much under control, it needs sanding, painting and finishes of course!

hummm, lots to think about??

If you are not comfortable sharing here openly please PM me your opinion or advice, thank you

Clearly only you know the details of your own situation and what your priorities are -- and your decision will come from that knowledge, not outside opinions. A few things I'd be thinking about:

- your 26 is a beauty, and you know the quality of every inch. To most other guys, its an unfinished project, and they only have your word for the quality of the work. If you try to sell, you'll get a 'project boat' price.
- if you finish it you will have lifetime boat if you want it, or something much more saleable if you need to - but I think the boat market will be tough for a while.
- if you go for an 18, you may be starting again [stringers, transom, etc] - you'd have a boat that's cheaper and easier to operate, tow and store, but so much more limited [sea conditions, overnight cruising, number aboard, space to walk around, head, galley, etc]
- you can find an 18 anytime, but finding a 26 is much more of a project

I know what I'd do, but I don't know about you :cool:

Thank you sir, I know I could count on you to be a voice of reason! I’ll store it for an extra year if need be...you are right 26’s are hard to find.

Last edited:
For how much it’s going to cost to repower that boat you get a nice ready to go 18 so I can see why you are thinking out laud.

But this project was never about the money was it

For how much it’s going to cost to repower that boat you get a nice ready to go 18 so I can see why you are thinking out laud.

But this project was never about the money was it

You are correct, it’s not about the $, it’s about my family and memories, just having an “isolation” moment, haha

I think you should finish the build component of the hull, by the time that you are done with it I think you’ll have a good idea of what lays ahead. You can always store it for a year or so and then power it if needed. Too far in to let go now

The work is Covid time killing therapy for you I hope. You have this thread as evidence of the high quality work you are doing once it's all buttoned up. The final product will be worth paying for if it comes to that. I've seen a few whiny complaints about Albertans coming to the Okanagan recently. Do you have any concerns that the citizens of Sicamous or Ucluelet or anywhere else in BC may not be ready to see a 26' or 18' behind a truck with red plates here for a considerable time?
btw have you seen any episodes of Florida Sportsman Project Dreamboat? There is usually a DIY boat mixed in with the fancy shop done boats.

Hey, I need to pass something by you guys as I know some will understand...

To the point - Im not sure whether to get out from under the Hourston and possibly get something in the 18’ range that still gets me on the water? I still have the pontoon boat which I will be keeping for summer fun on interior lakes...? Whats your thought O wise ones, lol ;)

...maybe I am over thinking things, again! :rolleyes:
You are correct, it’s not about the $, it’s about my family and memories, just having an “isolation” moment, haha
I'm certainly no wise one but also have a 23 that's being worked on that no longer seems like a good financial move. I've had to reconcile that should I need to sell in the short term it's not going to be pretty. But plan to keep this boat a long time so that's less important since the family feels safe in it and it's a sweet boat to fish from. Plus, the peace of mind knowing you're riding in a solid boat (since you've gone over it inch by inch) will give you confidence in those sketchy on-the-water situations.
End of the day, they're not making more of these boats and in your case in particular, the satisfaction of all the work you've put into that 26er and knowing you've done it your way will still be a source of everyday pride. Keep it! Also not ready for this thread to end.

Back