22' double eagle, will a 200hp outboard be enough????????

Go for 250 HP. I have a 23 foot boat weights in loaded with fuel at about 5900 lbs. I had a F225 on it and it was ok, but with a full load of people and fuel, it was struggling. It now has a new F250. The F250 doesn't have to work as hard. Runs at 3700 rpm 27 mph and handles heavy loads much better. The old motor was 4200 rpm and 27 mph. No man ever said I wish I had less horsepower. Nothing worse than having an awesome boat with no extra power. Tell the wife it's all about safety.

Yea I have decided going up in power Twin 250s should pull ok Haa. A single 250-300 is what I will wait for now I need to find a pod builder up north it’s about 5-6k and from what I have been reading down south it’s typically 3-4 for a smaller rig like I have.

For $50 you can join boat diesel.com & use their "advanced prop calculator" to model the effects of increasing HP on top speed. Pick a high RPM 200hp diesel like a Yanmar, enter boat length/weight & hull factor ( you can estimate hull factor from knowing the measured performance of a boat like yours with a given engine HP) as such; if the boat tops out at 35mph with 200 HP then the hull factor can be calculated. My 24' SeaRay with a 2stroke Yamaha 250 would do 50 mph. It had plenty of power to push thru the large following seas mentioned in a previous post.
My O/B mechanic told me that the 2 strokes lasted longest when run at near WOT - dunno about a 4stroke Merc; ask around before you commit. MPG drops-off running at WOT.
My seat-of-the pants opinion is that what you propose will work fine.

I have a podded 21ft Hourston Glascraft cuddy with a 175 HPDI Yamaha on her and she runs great... ~28 knots at 4000 rpm.

Hull might be a little lighter than a 22 DE though.

You can put however much HP and weight on that boat, but before you go a build a pod, choose the engine. You don't want to be stern heavy, nor too much flotation. 200 HP should be enough but I agree with more is always better. You will just have to design accordingly for flotation and strength. All is possible we do it all the time. Hope that helps. Happy boat building

Last edited:
My 22 sangster has a very similar hull to a double eagle. Theres a pic in my profile somewhere at the boat ramp, pretty good V too.
Its got a 2009 4.0l v6 df300 suzuki on the pod. 25/26mph at 3500rpm crusing speed. 140l of fuel got me 180km trip. Its got plently of power. Would reccomend 250+hp.

Paul,
We podded a 20' DE and we are running a Suzuki DF250 which we feel is perfect. We started with a Honda 200hp and it was decent too. It was more than adequate for cruising around the Gulf Islands but it did require a lot more throttle control in the offshore swells than our current setup. The 250 is also substanstialy better on fuel. I don't know if that is a Suzuki vs Honda thing or if the 250 gets better fuel economy because it is 10 years newer and we don't have to work it as hard.

We had our pod and a radar arch with rocket launchers built in Sooke for $3000. He did comment at the time that he wouldn't do it again that cheap as we made a few changes to his standard arch design. I know you aren't looking for a South Island fabricator but if you do want more info I can send you some pics or give you the number for the fellow that did the work. He was great to deal with and he did awesome and timely work. Just pm if I can help at all.

Brian

Paul,
We podded a 20' DE and we are running a Suzuki DF250 which we feel is perfect. We started with a Honda 200hp and it was decent too. It was more than adequate for cruising around the Gulf Islands but it did require a lot more throttle control in the offshore swells than our current setup. The 250 is also substanstialy better on fuel. I don't know if that is a Suzuki vs Honda thing or if the 250 gets better fuel economy because it is 10 years newer and we don't have to work it as hard.

We had our pod and a radar arch with rocket launchers built in Sooke for $3000. He did comment at the time that he wouldn't do it again that cheap as we made a few changes to his standard arch design. I know you aren't looking for a South Island fabricator but if you do want more info I can send you some pics or give you the number for the fellow that did the work. He was great to deal with and he did awesome and timely work. Just pm if I can help at all.

Brian
nicely just saw this. I ended up getting a pod build on the island from Don at Shadowline Im happy with his work also. I am in the process of putting a 300 merc on the back, can't wait to see how it preforms

Back