22' double eagle, will a 200hp outboard be enough????????

You can't compare a 20 DE or a 25 Wellcraft or 25 C-Dory to a 22 DE. They are completely different boats,the 22 is a much heavier,full deep V that needs lots of power to get on plane.Would a 200 be adequate,probably,barely.but it will be hard to sell when your done because the buyer will want to repower and be afraid of the cost of doing it.Edit,I've owned a 25 Wellcraft and a 20 DE.and the C-Dory's are near flat bottom boats that require little power.

The 200 would work and stand up if propped conservatively. You would want to swing a smaller pitch prop which will get you out of the hole quicker and take strain off the powerhead when on plain. If you don't care about being the fastest boat out there then it would be fine. I run a 200 2 stroke on my 22 Seasport and run a 15 pitch prop...I started with a 17 and found the 15 was better especially when I have a full load of people on board.

The 200 is about 150lbs lighter than the 300. I would go for it. If not let me know where you are getting this deal, I run a 150 on my 25 footer and it's a lot heavier :)

Sorry, wait what, you are running a 150hp on a 25' DE?

Depends where you want to run the boat, if you will be on the inside with out any swell it will be fine if you plan on running it on the west coast where there are swells you need good power. Barely enough power you will find the boat will struggle climbing the back side of the swells. Had a 26 Robalo several years back with a 300 was fine on the flat hit some swells and the performance was frustrating loaded up coming up back side of swell would cause it to fall off plane. Your better to have more than enough than under power it or you will be up there in the RPM's all the time. With a 10K budget you can easily find a good motor. Remember the new 200's are 4 cylinder so low end torque will be limited compared to the V6 ones.

Ps, i have never owned a 22 DE so what do i know. It all depends on what he wants to do with it i guess. All i know is a lot of people load there boats with a 1000lbs of **** they dont need on board and that require an extra 75 hp lol

Sorry, wait what, you are running a 150hp on a 25' DE?

I added the boat and my approximate weight later in the thread. I also think there is such a huge difference in what you will carry, how you prop your engine and between the different brands weights/displacement and power-bands. Even running a hydrofoil/trim tabs will make a huge difference in performance and if you go with 200hp plan for at least one of the two, I'm a big fan of the hydrofoil and will be installing one on my new to me boat shortly and already have trim tabs.

Sure if you have an extra 25g go for a new 250 from Yamaha is Starting at $29,313.00 but you will need prop/controls/gauges/install and taxes. Tough to find any 3 year old engines complete with rigging for 10k.

I may have been flippant in saying yes, after only climbing over a few DE's over the years but then again, none of you have invited me out on your 300hp beasts, I've only been out on big prolines and bayliners with 300+HP.

i have a 20' trophy with the 175 Optimax (max they allowed on this boat). When fishing off the WCVI, with full boat (4 adults, 1 kid) I'm glad I have every bit of power in the swells. Would actually like more. Just my two cents.

HB

rated for 250

Allot of truth, experience and knowledge here Paul, I would hate to see you regret your purchase with performance disappointment, I am sure the 200 would get you along pretty good , just keep your expectation and bank-book in check. :)

Back