2159 outboard conversion

I have podded a few boats, in my opinion the pod that steps up is by far the best design out there. Here is my old 21' trophy that had a pod that followed the bottom of the hull, hated it, too much flotation and the boat sat stern highView attachment 31564 View attachment 31565

Ok, thanks @albernifisher
That's definitely a concern that I have. When the 4cyl was removed and the 4.3 was put in, the scrubbers went down the just above the waterline, an outboard would be about 300lbs lighter depending on brand/type. The step bracket should add enough floatation at rest combined with the lighter weight to lift the stern out a couple more inches hopefully.

I have read that when you install a offset bracket, for every 12" back, raise the engine 1". Is this a general rule or will each brand of motor with run a slightly different height?

Ok, thanks @albernifisher
That's definitely a concern that I have. When the 4cyl was removed and the 4.3 was put in, the scrubbers went down the just above the waterline, an outboard would be about 300lbs lighter depending on brand/type. The step bracket should add enough floatation at rest combined with the lighter weight to lift the stern out a couple more inches hopefully.

I have read that when you install a offset bracket, for every 12" back, raise the engine 1". Is this a general rule or will each brand of motor with run a slightly different height?
1"per foot is the rule of thumb. Doesn't matter what motor you put on they all have the same leg lengths.

I have podded a few boats, in my opinion the pod that steps up is by far the best design out there. Here is my old 21' trophy that had a pod that followed the bottom of the hull, hated it, too much flotation and the boat sat stern highView attachment 31564 View attachment 31565

Good post. Putting a motor out back like that is going to effect stability somewhat but it can have a greater effect if there is to much floatation.
It's not a solid science planning such a project. I wish I had this forum back in the day when I did mine.

Reactions: NDT

hmm, I'm hoping to get my Campion 672 OB up a few more inches so I'd love to pod it and get the stern up a bit. Would a pod like you put on your Trophy give me similiar results?

I'm no expert, I'm just posting on my personal results. After pulling the in boards and podding them, every single one sat at least 2=3 inches higher and I know a few others who have had the same results

Reactions: NDT
If I remember correctly, 25" if you want to have the top of the pod and motor sitting higher out of the water you would get a 30" leg, just remember to tell the guy building it what size leg your planning to use

Thank you,
I'm just deciding that now, want to stay low for CG as I'm removing the inboard, but don't want to swamp it either... Just making up a scale drawing to decide which to go with, I will post when I completed it.

A quick scale drawing, well close to scale. Thoughts?? Similar to Armstrong and many others
image.jpeg
Disclaimer: not engineered

thanks @fishin solo. Assuming no engine issues in rough water? From your pic, engine looks high and dry
Yeah I'm up nice and high zero issues at all ever and I have been in some serious rough **** last year. Have you figure out what engine your going with yet? Lease return or new ?

Yeah I'm up nice and high zero issues at all ever and I have been in some serious rough **** last year. Have you figure out what engine your going with yet? Lease return or new ?

Thanks for the feedback on the gusset, not sold on the idea of them

I'm thinking a lease return or low hour 225hp four stroke, leaning toward Yamaha or Mercury, but open to most of the main brands. Trying to stay within the 230hp max rating on my hull.
Also researching hydraulic steering with a second rear helm. Looks like I'll probably go with the the seastar 2.0 system.

Thanks for the feedback on the gusset, not sold on the idea of them

I'm thinking a lease return or low hour 225hp four stroke, leaning toward Yamaha or Mercury, but open to most of the main brands. Trying to stay within the 230hp max rating on my hull.
Also researching hydraulic steering with a second rear helm. Looks like I'll probably go with the the seastar 2.0 system.
if you go merc verado you wont need the steering ram.....as for gusset just put in cross members going from your tub to frame, that way you can also stich your deck to them

True, fly by wire.
Agreed, Cross member are a better idea.
Also going to mount a high thrust kicker on it as well.
I figure I might as well build it as I want, cause I'll be keeping it for 10 years. Lol

Personal experience here. Keep in mind that although your podded OB is lighter than your I/O, the mass is way further back.
My 622 porpoises like a bugger. Playing with some math, I realized that the lower mass OB sitting further back from the centre of mass of the boat effectively levered the bow up. Now I am trying to move my batteries into the cuddy area in order to rebalance the entire boat.

Back