2024 Sidney Reports

Just want to throw out a general question. Has anyone had any luck in the Sidney area in the past few years with Halibut? I am considering giving it a try this upcoming weekend. I am new to Halibut fishing so I am kinda looking for a few spots to try and if there are any around. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

It is slim pickings for Hali in the Sidney area. I used to have some luck between Wymond Pt on Sidney Island and Darcy Island in around 240 - 350 feet of water but haven't even tried for a few years. The last few years of the Sidney Anglers members only derby hasn't produced much either. Good luck.

It is slim pickings for Hali in the Sidney area. I used to have some luck between Wymond Pt on Sidney Island and Darcy Island in around 240 - 350 feet of water but haven't even tried for a few years. The last few years of the Sidney Anglers members only derby hasn't produced much either. Good luck.
Thank you for the help. Who knows, I could manage to find one.

Fished the beach on east James island this morning with a SFBC member who was nice enough to take me out while I was on Salt Spring. Got one under on a skinny g, and saw a few others caught. Were there for about 2 hours. Beauty spot to fish. Got 4 limits of crabs and prawns as well to round out a killer morning on the water

Prawning has been good at the mouth of Saanich inlet, watch the closure line! Now towing a friend’s home made, carbon fibre, electric drive, seacanable performance sailing cat up Stuart Channel. Wow, that’s a mouthful.

Attachments

• 9FE9DA2D-047F-41F7-BAC7-377C9112141F.jpeg
    9FE9DA2D-047F-41F7-BAC7-377C9112141F.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 135
New member here but been viewing the board for a couple months now. A buddy and myself made it out Saturday. Found a couple 8lbers right at the red can early on, along with a few undersize, then a pretty decent fish off the southeast end of Sidney in the afternoon. But watch out, there’s a vicious pot and line sunken just south of Hamley. Had another good fish hooked up there that came undone close to the boat. Green glow flashers with 4” AP sandlance spoons in the MVP color did the trick.

Attachments

• IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
New member here but been viewing the board for a couple months now. A buddy and myself made it out Saturday. Found a couple 8lbere right at the red can early on, along with a few undersize, then a pretty decent fish off the southeast end of Sidney in the afternoon. But watch out, there’s a viscous pot and line sunken just south of Hamley. Had another good fish hooked up there that came undone close to the boat. Green glow flashers with 4” AP sandlance spoons in the MVP did the trick.
Nice Fish

Was out Sat off Powder Wharf, pretty bouncy, one undersize on a glow Blueberry coho killer. What red can are you referring to? Thanks...

Got out last weekend. Full crab pots at Cowichan Bay - the first time I've limited out both traps in one day since moving to the Island 7 years ago. I also trapped a gravid female - never seen this before, so I thought I'd share (attached photo). Powder was very hot on the turn for a bit too, with a couple 62cm+ to the boat. Some on the bottom, some mid depths. Sandlance variations on flasher as shown
1709157893259.jpeg1709157940203.jpeg

Got out last weekend. Full crab pots at Cowichan Bay - the first time I've limited out both traps in one day since moving to the Island 7 years ago. I also trapped a gravid female - never seen this before, so I thought I'd share (attached photo). Powder was very hot on the turn for a bit too, with a couple 62cm+ to the boat. Some on the bottom, some mid depths. Sandlance variations on flasher as shown
View attachment 103704View attachment 103705

Beauty fish!

The female dungees are out in full force right now. Many have just finished their winter egg-laying and are feeding like mad, it seems. Feels a tad early, to me, compared to the last couple of years, but I don't have that many years of experience with 'em. Seems you found one that's a little behind schedule.

Anyone heading out for the Mill Bay Derby this Saturday? Weather looks like it shouldn’t be too bad, little rain but wind hopefully stays as forecast. Any recent success stories of late would be appreciated! 😉

Anyone heading out for the Mill Bay Derby this Saturday? Weather looks like it shouldn’t be too bad, little rain but wind hopefully stays as forecast. Any recent success stories of late would be appreciated! 😉
Yep! I haven't been out for a few weeks so I have no clue where they are hiding these days. See you on the water!! Hoping for calm seas and tight lines!

Was out at Powder Wharf yesterday. Ebb all day. One undersize off the bottom at 115ft using black glow flasher with pink glow/UV needlefish hoochie. Green and spoons weren’t working for me.

Lots of fish and crabs around today. But nothing Derby winning size. Took a friend out and he kept two 7-8lbs. Released another half dozen 45-63cm. Sidney Spit and Coal. Find the bait.

Attachments

• IMG-20240306-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240306-WA0000.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 115
Tight Lines to all in the Mill Bay Derby today. Looking forward to seeing the results
Good morning for fishing until noon and then the weather went awful! Was there weighing fish all day good spirits by all… even the liquid type of spirits! Some huge fish this year I’ve weighed the derby for 11 years this is the heaviest fish yet! Tight lines

Attachments

• IMG_6488.jpeg
    IMG_6488.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 169
Back