Any local prawning reports? Twin Islands? Marina Island? Twin Used to be the go to spot but have kinda lost faith in it.
I used to fish Twin regularly, but have found it to be not as productive the last 5 years or so.
Lots of traps there even when it is closed.

I used to fish Twin regularly, but have found it to be not as productive the last 5 years or so.
Lots of traps there even when it is closed.
Of course! It's handy to an I.R.

Out prawning yesterday - reasonable results. Encouraging though was the number of coho we saw jumping pretty much all over -Lighthouse, Hump, Francisco.
Saw a guy at the ramp with a monster ling - Willow Point apparently.

I might talk about local salmon fishing, be a bit more vague about prawning, but Ling holes?
Taking that to the grave.
Pinnacles north of Separation Head is vague enough
ha ha. I respect your desire to keep some secrets to your grave!
How about this more general question...what features would a person be searching for to find lings?
I've been trying to find rock pinnacle features, and fishing around slack tide near the tops. 60-120' depths.
Obviously I also watch others, and since bottom fishing is pretty much all that is open in area 14 now, I assume every boat I see where they are jigging, is after lings. :) Seen some folks jigging the steep drop contours near a shoal or pinnacle. Saw one boat pull out a nice big ling from 400' off the side of a islet/shoal.

So as posted earlier in this thread, the time for our trip to Pacific Playgrounds is almost here. We are there Mon-Fri next week, with a 17' Arima with 75hp main and kicker. Looking at the forecast it looks pretty good to me, but I have never boated in this area. If there are any hazards or weather patterns to be cautious of please let me know. Of course always open to fishing or crabbing tips too but most importantly just a low stress week messing around on the water. @Gong Show you can feel free to PM me your ling holes ;p. Currently in the process of a repower with new main on order, so won't be doing any big runs up Toba or anything like that this trip. Just sticking within a half hour run of Pacific Playgrounds probably.

the main hazard is the channel coming out of Pacific Playgrounds . kidding. if you decid to cross over to grants reef or montgomery or whatever, just watch the wind. it can lick up and be nasty. that’s about it

the main hazard is the channel coming out of Pacific Playgrounds . kidding. if you decid to cross over to grants reef or montgomery or whatever, just watch the wind. it can lick up and be nasty. that’s about it
Doubt we'll be going that far, but yeah I'd be cautious of anything that could be termed a "crossing"

Doubt we'll be going that far, but yeah I'd be cautious of anything that could be termed a "crossing"
Watch the winds, tides, and know how they interact. Can have curling 6 footers come down to a 1 foot chop in an hour and vice versa. The VI side has lots of good spots but be sure you're familiar with the RCA's as well, have my new main going on this week so might see ya out there! 😁

So as posted earlier in this thread, the time for our trip to Pacific Playgrounds is almost here. We are there Mon-Fri next week, with a 17' Arima with 75hp main and kicker. Looking at the forecast it looks pretty good to me, but I have never boated in this area. If there are any hazards or weather patterns to be cautious of please let me know. Of course always open to fishing or crabbing tips too but most importantly just a low stress week messing around on the water. @Gong Show you can feel free to PM me your ling holes ;p. Currently in the process of a repower with new main on order, so won't be doing any big runs up Toba or anything like that this trip. Just sticking within a half hour run of Pacific Playgrounds probably.

If you have crab traps, one spot to try without having to go too far, is around the estuary ofBlack Creek - by no means a hot spot but it can produce a few. Oyster Bay is worth a look also.

Back