2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great points, I would include his boat appearing to not have a self bailing design as another reason to stay out of that type of wave activity.
Actually, it's a self bailer with elephant trunks on the scuppers. It's a Cope Barkley Sounder. The boat is just small and single handed in waves is not great. I've done it a few times and I work hard just tonrun the rigger and drive straight in them. Lowering the downrigger forces a change in direction. Walking to the rigger changes the direction. So, I'll steer clear. It goes great, but when you leave the helm, you change the trim....and away you go.....

Actually, it's a self bailer with elephant trunks on the scuppers. It's a Cope Barkley Sounder. The boat is just small and single handed in waves is not great. I've done it a few times and I work hard just tonrun the rigger and drive straight in them. Lowering the downrigger forces a change in direction. Walking to the rigger changes the direction. So, I'll steer clear. It goes great, but when you leave the helm, you change the trim....and away you go.....
Apologies, I’m a big fan of Cope designs.

Apologies, I’m a big fan of Cope designs.
No apology necessary. Many small boats aren't self bailers in the first place, and to be honest, the drop from the deck to the water is not so much that your are going to see a waterfall should the boat deck get soaked. In fact I'd likely have to get the boat moving to maximize the flow out the scuppers. Top that off with the fact that the deck would move lower to the water level with the extra weight of water.... I may need some bilge pump assistance---which has yet to be installed.

No apology necessary. Many small boats aren't self bailers in the first place, and to be honest, the drop from the deck to the water is not so much that your are going to see a waterfall should the boat deck get soaked. In fact I'd likely have to get the boat moving to maximize the flow out the scuppers. Top that off with the fact that the deck would move lower to the water level with the extra weight of water.... I may need some bilge pump assistance---which has yet to be installed.
If fishing solo in big waters is your thing, I'd invest in a bilge pump as well as an autopilot. But then we are in a report thread and may be caught by the diversion cops! ;)

Probably won’t even fish 28-7 now with that wind forecast in my boat. Anyone got room on a bigger boat? I’ve got a shitload of lures, and a bunch of brined bait ready to go. 🤣

Probably won’t even fish 28-7 now with that wind forecast in my boat. Anyone got room on a bigger boat? I’ve got a shitload of lures, and a bunch of brined bait ready to go. 🤣
Go do Seymour Bay area. It’s a bit protected from that wind direction. Or stick to 28-6 and keep reds.

Well this weather sucks….we were going to take our daughter and granddaughter tomorrow but the run across from the island might be a bit much for them…maybe Monday.

6 racks of medium - xl herring in the brine , should be pulling up to the lightship around 630am, let’s all try and play nice , and leave the knobbery at home

6 racks of medium - xl herring in the brine , should be pulling up to the lightship around 630am, let’s all try and play nice , and leave the knobbery at home
Gonna be a bit behind you by the time i run over from Nanaimo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back