2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next question. And maybe this should be its own thread. But is there any difference in how the waves set up at T10 vs Sandheads? I've been at Sandheads in very rough weather when I was younger. Would T10 be any better?
What are you running for a boat?

My experience is anything stronger than a 15 NW and you should have a boat bigger than 20’. Unless you really know what you’re doing and you have a partner that knows it equally well. One person will need to be on the wheel the hole time in those winds. Fighting a fish solo and the boat blows sideways and you’re in trouble. No fish is worth losing your boat over, or worse…

My experience is anything stronger than a 15 NW and you should have a boat bigger than 20’. Unless you really know what you’re doing and you have a partner that knows it equally well. One person will need to be on the wheel the hole time in those winds. Fighting a fish solo and the boat blows sideways and you’re in trouble. No fish is worth losing your boat over, or worse…
Or you get a seal attacking your chinook and you have to spend half an hour trying to get your gear back while rocking and rolling in that slop by yourself. If you do attempt it, just be wise enough to turn around and head back if it’s beyond your boat and your personal capabilities.

Totally agree with the above comments!
Me too. The last time I fished big rollers I decided that was enough. I could check the bottom paint on other boats and they were 20 foot plus boats. It was a little nutty out there. You could almost lose sight of them in the swell. I'm sure I was disappearing from their view as I am smaller. No point on doing that again. It's not worth it. It's not smart or good seamanship to leave the dock on a day like that.

I booked the day off from work, so instead of fishing I’ll probably be wrenching on one of the old piles of junk that seem to follow me home all the time…

Me too. The last time I fished big rollers I decided that was enough. I could check the bottom paint on other boats and they were 20 foot plus boats. It was a little nutty out there. You could almost lose sight of them in the swell. I'm sure I was disappearing from their view as I am smaller. No point on doing that again. It's not worth it. It's not smart or good seamanship to leave the dock on a day like that.
The problem when you get wind apposing current is that you don't get rollers, you get tightly packed standing waves. The waves are taller and packed closer together, putting your boat on steeper angles. The shallowing water near shore amplify the problem. I had 2 big waves come over my stern on my 17' at the mouth of the North Arm many years ago after my boat swung unexpectedly from a big wind gust, at the same time my brand-new bilge pump decided to take a nap. I was lucky to get back into sheltered waters by Wreck Beach and hand bailed for an hour. When you look at a map and see the general direction the water flows out from Burrard Inlet, the North & South Arms, and even Howe Sound during an ebb Tide, and compare it to the wind speed and direction....the more the wind and current oppose each other the sloppier the conditions.

The problem when you get wind apposing current is that you don't get rollers, you get tightly packed standing waves. The waves are taller and packed closer together, putting your boat on steeper angles. The shallowing water near shore amplify the problem. I had 2 big waves come over my stern on my 17' at the mouth of the North Arm many years ago after my boat swung unexpectedly from a big wind gust, at the same time my brand-new bilge pump decided to take a nap. I was lucky to get back into sheltered waters by Wreck Beach and hand bailed for an hour. When you look at a map and see the general direction the water flows out from Burrard Inlet, the North & South Arms, and even Howe Sound during an ebb Tide, and compare it to the wind speed and direction....the more the wind and current oppose each other the sloppier the conditions.
Great points, I would include his boat appearing to not have a self bailing design as another reason to stay out of that type of wave activity.

Does anyone have a link to the notice of opening on Sept 1? I don't see it on the DFO website.

Or just simply is everywhere south except the banana and SRKW zone open for 62cm + and is 1 per day or 2?

For the diehard folks that are coming out of north shore/false creek and don't enjoy the drama around the NA bend, you may still be able to fish 28-7 around Jerico. Just be mindful of that SRKW closed area past the bell buoy and be prepared to pull gear if you get rollers over your bow.

Any one with a bigger boat want an extra rod out there? :p
My 17 ft might not cut it this weekend ..
Waves don’t bother me but want to fish ! Lol

Does anyone have a link to the notice of opening on Sept 1? I don't see it on the DFO website.

Or just simply is everywhere south except the banana and SRKW zone open for 62cm + and is 1 per day or 2?
This is all that's been posted:

Strait of Georgia South - Area 28 and 29 (with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed in the section below):
-Currently in effect to 23:59 hours July 31: Chinook non-retention;

-00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: 2 Chinook per day.

This is all that's been posted:

Strait of Georgia South - Area 28 and 29 (with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed in the section below):
-Currently in effect to 23:59 hours July 31: Chinook non-retention;

-00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: 2 Chinook per day.
Can you see the maximum size deletion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back