2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished South Bowen today. Hits all morning! Lots of wild coho, but still had a great time even though the hatchery ones were few and far between. They really liked the Gibbs blue stripe flasher and Gibbs G-force spoon (white, green, black). Fished all depths from 30-70ft. Most hits around 40-50ft. Have fun out boys!

fished cowans today me and two other guys kept 6 hatchery coho and 3 pinks tons of coho out there released a few decent hatcherys ones as well as some wild coho also released a beauty 12 pound spring kept 10 keeper crab was a great day on the water 30-50 feet with a white hootchie and fast troll got us the bites little lumpy in the morning but laid down later on

I think those ho’s are mainly Columbia fish, holding because of all the bait we have this year. Anyways…
The boss gave the green light as long as I was “back by noon” so I ran to the Sunshine coast area this morning. Never been past Gower so explore a little bit why not. Didn’t even get second rod down at 6am and boom, finally. Hit the herring at 90’ on the rigger. I thought it was gonna be over but it was 80cm on the button. Spring fever cured. Switched gear and got 2 hatch coho and a couple wilds released. Done by 7am, I’ll be back before they all wake up. Lol. F0787210-D118-460E-A086-83EADF1DCC12.jpeg773463D8-423B-407C-A3EA-785944735F56.jpegC6AA35D9-A0DE-473F-B650-994C67629313.jpeg

Is there any consensus on where all these coho are heading? Seems like way more around than since the 80’s. Good to see regardless.
My observations aren’t scientific but it seems a big coincidence that there is an abundance on the inside and very few on the outside. (My outside experience being limited to three days fishing out of Bamfield and the anecdotal evidence that others observed the same).
We easily limited out on coho last year on the same dates so I wonder if some of these fish just took the inside route this year for some reason?

I think those ho’s are mainly Columbia fish, holding because of all the bait we have this year. Anyways…
The boss gave the green light as long as I was “back by noon” so I ran to the Sunshine coast area this morning. Never been past Gower so explore a little bit why not. Didn’t even get second rod down at 6am and boom, finally. Hit the herring at 90’ on the rigger. I thought it was gonna be over but it was 80cm on the button. Spring fever cured. Switched gear and got 2 hatch coho and a couple wilds released. Done by 7am, I’ll be back before they all wake up. Lol. View attachment 95114View attachment 95115View attachment 95116
You are having way too much fun with that boat. Adding the pod and ditching the stern drive must agree with the fish gods.

What a summer we are having for local fishing.

My observations aren’t scientific but it seems a big coincidence that there is an abundance on the inside and very few on the outside. (My outside experience being limited to three days fishing out of Bamfield and the anecdotal evidence that others observed the same).
We easily limited out on coho last year on the same dates so I wonder if some of these fish just took the inside route this year for some reason?
Heard a similar story. Outside fish that took the inside route this year.

The boss gave the green light as long as I was “back by noon” so I ran to the Sunshine coast area this morning. Never been past Gower so explore a little bit why not. Didn’t even get second rod down at 6am and boom, finally. Hit the herring at 90’ on the rigger. I thought it was gonna be over but it was 80cm on the button. Spring fever cured. Switched gear and got 2 hatch coho and a couple wilds released. Done by 7am, I’ll be back before they all wake up. Lol. View attachment 95114View attachment 95115View attachment 95116
i think they are columbia fish too as the eggs in the females r really small so nowhere near ready to go up the river and spawn

The guy that needed help on Saturday posted this on Vancouver Salmon Fishing. Not much freeboard on that Whaler for those wave conditions.
No link to copy, so here are 2 pics and his story:

Hi everyone. As many of you heard I'm the guy who's boat capsized at bowen on Saturday. I want to thank the other boaters that came to my aid and to the coastguard for the ride home.
As you can all guess, I lost everything. Both downriggers, cannonballs, huge tackle box, 4 fishing rods, anchor, all ropes and a bunch of personal gear. With the cost of the repairs and the tow I'm out a ton of money. I'm not asking for money. So please don't delete this. What I'm asking, is if anyone has spare or old gear they don't want or use I'd love any help that you can spare. Or even sell cheap.
Hope everyone has a great day and even better luck than I did. I had my limit of hatchery coho at that point too.
Thanks. Ian.
Admin please delete if this is not ok.

His follow up:

For those that want to know what happened. I had just packed up for the day. Raised my kicker and started the main. An older 2 stroke. Started heading north back to porteau cove when the engine died. I was going in the same direction as the rollers (I think ferry wakes) and I took 3 over the stern in about 25 seconds as I was trying to restart the main. Got it started once but as soon as I started to try and turn into the wakes it died again. Then took a forth and it started to roll. I grabbed my handheld radio off the dash and climbed around the boat as it went over. Called in a mayday and got picked up by another boater maybe 5 or 10 later.

View attachment 94045View attachment 94044
Omg!

Fished CRC today and the fish cooperated. Two newbies on board so we lost as many however landed 10 Pinks and two Hatchery Cohos. All hootchies and all depths today

Attachments

• 47AE84E8-75D5-4A88-A890-D2DE812649B1.jpeg
    47AE84E8-75D5-4A88-A890-D2DE812649B1.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 8DFD087B-CB4A-4E97-A8CF-49FDD8B41CFB.jpeg
    8DFD087B-CB4A-4E97-A8CF-49FDD8B41CFB.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 138
  • D2EED398-1747-4744-8B64-1B735C7646E8.jpeg
    D2EED398-1747-4744-8B64-1B735C7646E8.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 128
  • AEAD1106-CDBE-4B8B-B600-DA8DD2F6C2AC.jpeg
    AEAD1106-CDBE-4B8B-B600-DA8DD2F6C2AC.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 142
Covid 3+ years ago, fish cycle 3 to 5 years. Maybe a coincidence?
Global warming adding feed in the ocean? Orcas now moved up north for feeding? Fewer Pinnipeds? Orcas now feeding on seals? Fish farms moved or eliminated?

Just wait for the springs. IMO there will be more than estimated.

Just off hand how many Orcas have been seen around and does there seem to be a lot fewer seals and sea lions?

Used to get chased around by 10+ seals 4/5 years ago. dozens around all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back