2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone out with a weather and/or fishing report this morn? I’m gonna run up to Sunshine Coast today and fish en route if weather permits. Looks like it’s blowing around 15SE now around Bowen area which is borderline for my preference. Thx.

Seamore/Cowans, was very calm this afternoon, only a few boats out there.
I got on to a 25+ Chinook in the Kayak that took me for a ride. After a few epic runs, peeling so hard I have a burn on my palm, and some acrobatics, I proceeded to rush the netting, snapping my 30 Fluor leader due to a bad netting job…
Epic fail!
I just bobbed around for a while… lamenting my poor decisions, way didn’t I just?, I could have just?, arg!!!!

All of a sudden something catches my eye, I look down over the port side right below the yak, and there is my 6.5” coyote army truck, those things don’t float… still set in her majesty’s lip.

She/he (the fish) came back to the boat, I tried to get the lure out/back, but she didn’t trust me enough, or she was teasing me, just staying out of reach…
It was kind of unreal.

Lost fish, lost lure, lost confidence, lots of fun thought.

If you can, give kayak a try, it’s different being 3” from the water…

Sorry, not a really a report, but there are still fish around seamore and cowans.. saw some bait aswell.
Huge this year.

Peace.

Seamore/Cowans, was very calm this afternoon, only a few boats out there.
I got on to a 25+ Chinook in the Kayak that took me for a ride. After a few epic runs, peeling so hard I have a burn on my palm, and some acrobatics, I proceeded to rush the netting, snapping my 30 Fluor leader due to a bad netting job…
Epic fail!
I just bobbed around for a while… lamenting my poor decisions, way didn’t I just?, I could have just?, arg!!!!

All of a sudden something catches my eye, I look down over the port side right below the yak, and there is my 6.5” coyote army truck, those things don’t float… still set in her majesty’s lip.

She/he (the fish) came back to the boat, I tried to get the lure out/back, but she didn’t trust me enough, or she was teasing me, just staying out of reach…
It was kind of unreal.

Lost fish, lost lure, lost confidence, lots of fun thought.

If you can, give kayak a try, it’s different being 3” from the water…

Sorry, not a really a report, but there are still fish around seamore and cowans.. saw some bait aswell.
Huge this year.

Peace.
Great report!! I have friends who kayak fish and it is a great way to fish. For me, I would love to do it but 82 year old body makes it tougher. I compromise by only jigging -- no trolling. If you try it you may never go back.

Fished off Cowan and westwards 7-9am today. A flurry of action 20+ hits, limits of hatchery coho for two of us. Lost a screaming pin popper that broke the leader (likely brute of a chinook), some bigger wild coho released as well. No pinks in our mix today.
The usual 25 and 45 ft on white hoochie.
Amazed all those coho are still out there, but not complaining!

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 85
I got out today. Solo. Came back from Point Roberts. Did the border check in False Creek. Went to the hump. Released a couple pink, released a small keeper size spring. kept a couple fat hatchery coho.. on a green hoochie around 40 feet. All in a couple hours. Probably a good fishery to bring the buddy's out.
I also fished that three day opening in Washington state last weekend. Landing a 13# hatchery chinook the first night. Its about 2 wilds to 1 hatchery. But the Saturday night was epic. We didn't get any hatchery fish, but a school of large chinook came in. It was a right place right time situation...lots of fun. Worth the $60 us for a couple day opening.
how much for a american fishing license?

Went to Cowan Point yesterday at 4PM and had a great time for 3 hours. Limit of hatchery Cohos, 6 or 7 wild ones released, 5 springs released. Glow hootchie with sparkles did the best on Cohos, most Springs on a yellow and green SkinnyG. Flashers were yellow and green with a red blob. Speed between 3 and 3.5 mph. Many thanks to Reel Time for his invaluable advice!

nice size coho

Fished 2-5pm. Cowan-RC tack. Action was spotty and mostly around RC. Deeper was the ticket (50-80) in the afternoon light. Mostly wild coho and a small chinook plus a number of long line releases. Skinny G in Irish Cream outfished the white hootchies for us.

Just me or do these coho have soft mouths?? Had 3 fish in a row pop off while pulling line (at normal drag…)

Fished 2-5pm. Cowan-RC tack. Action was spotty and mostly around RC. Deeper was the ticket (50-80) in the afternoon light. Mostly wild coho and a small chinook plus a number of long line releases. Skinny G in Irish Cream outfished the white hootchies for us.

Just me or do these coho have soft mouths?? Had 3 fish in a row pop off while pulling line (at normal drag…)
Any hatcheries in the mix??

Fished South Bowen 1730-2030 tonight. Good action SE of Cowan for the first hour with 7 missed hits (tried running a hootchie without a stinger…) and one unclipped coho released then the bite seemed to turn off and the fish stopped jumping. Trolled Seymour Landing most of the way to Roger Curtis after but only had one missed hit and an unclipped undersized coho that was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back