2023 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out this morning for a morning jig with my brother who’s visiting from Ottawa. Released some barely under sized springs and wild coho. Last cast at Cottam, my brother hooks into a 12lb spring at the green can on a 40 gram macdeep. Match the hatch as all the bait was real small.
Seemed a little slow on the local reefs for jiggers during the mid day bite. I hear trollers are doing well at Winchelsea.

Seemed a little slow on the local reefs for jiggers during the mid day bite. I hear trollers are doing well at Winchelsea.
We fished Winchelsea Saturday morning. Lots of bait around, released an over slot spring 85 cm. Lots of wild coho. Lots of under springs and right at the 62 marks. Beautiful morning on the water. Everything we caught was on 4” tubby plugs. Great to see that many boats on the water running around and fishing.

Hello, I’m curious if trolling is allowed on the outside of Winchelsea island. My chart plotter had a “fishing prohibited” across the area. However I fished that area lots 10-12 years ago and I don’t see anything on the fishing regs. I do recall that there is no prawning along there due to the underground cables but I thought trolling was okay. Thanks

Last edited:
Went out yesterday. 1 chinook and 1 hatchery coho. 2 wilds and a pink for a 5 hour effort. Definitely a little slower out there

Late report but we did well on Wednesday night, had quite a few doubles of chinooks. Kept 3 nice ones released a few lost few. One was a nice big one probably mid twenties. Hurt letting it go was a nice fish. All on plugs down deep

Late report but we did well on Wednesday night, had quite a few doubles of chinooks. Kept 3 nice ones released a few lost few. One was a nice big one probably mid twenties. Hurt letting it go was a nice fish. All on plugs down deep
What size plugs you using ? Gonna head over second week of august for a visit with my parents . Brining boat this time !

Was at sangster earlier on Wednesday mid flood, wasn’t much bait or much action on the rods, couple small Chinook not keepers and couple coho. Also wasn’t marking tons of bait when we got into them off the humps but did hit massive bait in tighter and that did result into hits

Subject: FN0743-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Portions of Area 14 - Chinook Management Measures - Effective August 5, 2023

This Fishery Notice advises recreational fishers of increased Chinook opportunities in portions of Area 14 for 2023.

Effective 00:01 hours August 5, 2023, until 23:59 hours August 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in the following waters:

Subareas 14-7, 14-8, 14-9, 14-10, 14-15, and

Those portions of 14-4 and 14-5 southwest of a line from Flora Islet Light (49°31.055′N, 124°34.573′W) to French Creek Breakwater Light (49°21.097′N, 124°21.278′W).

Reminder: Subarea 14-11 is closed to all fishing for finfish until 23:59 hours August 15. Then, effective 00:01 hours August 16 until 23:59 hours August 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in Subarea 14-11.

Reminder: The minimum size limit for Chinook in Area 14 is 62 cm.

Further to the previous Fishery Notice, fishers are also reminded of the upcoming regulations in Area 14:

Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit

Though fishing for this afternoon on my boat one of those days where lots goes wrong. Had a Scotty counter fail, after just replacing that one right away, ball broke off after that coming up just had braid fail, lost clip tuna cord set up and then quite a tangles from real strong currents. Was surprised how strong currents were today, fished from 300 until just past 6 and was pretty much skunked. Kinda strange, was a little slow marking but did get into some big Bait patches towards the end of the small hunk but no biters before I had to leave. 5 was the predicted slack but never seemed to stop ripping current wise. Curious if the night bite came on

Though fishing for this afternoon on my boat one of those days where lots goes wrong. Had a Scotty counter fail, after just replacing that one right away, ball broke off after that coming up just had braid fail, lost clip tuna cord set up and then quite a tangles from real strong currents. Was surprised how strong currents were today, fished from 300 until just past 6 and was pretty much skunked. Kinda strange, was a little slow marking but did get into some big Bait patches towards the end of the small hunk but no biters before I had to leave. 5 was the predicted slack but never seemed to stop ripping current wise. Curious if the night bite came on

Yes it did. The big flood tide does make fishing harder. It’s good again this morning on the little ebb. Lots of smaller springs around.

Subject: FN0743-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Portions of Area 14 - Chinook Management Measures - Effective August 5, 2023

This Fishery Notice advises recreational fishers of increased Chinook opportunities in portions of Area 14 for 2023.

Effective 00:01 hours August 5, 2023, until 23:59 hours August 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in the following waters:

Subareas 14-7, 14-8, 14-9, 14-10, 14-15, and

Those portions of 14-4 and 14-5 southwest of a line from Flora Islet Light (49°31.055′N, 124°34.573′W) to French Creek Breakwater Light (49°21.097′N, 124°21.278′W).

Reminder: Subarea 14-11 is closed to all fishing for finfish until 23:59 hours August 15. Then, effective 00:01 hours August 16 until 23:59 hours August 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in Subarea 14-11.

Reminder: The minimum size limit for Chinook in Area 14 is 62 cm.

Further to the previous Fishery Notice, fishers are also reminded of the upcoming regulations in Area 14:

Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit
These regulations are just plain and simple crazy. Your have to be a lawyer to figure out what you are actually allowed to catch and where and the reality is that catch and release is a poor practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back