2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to Barkley sound on the 9th for 5 days, camping in the Broken Islands w a 24’ aluminium. First time fishing WCVI, hoping to spend some time targeting halibut and some on salmon. I have read the old reports and salmon university, but if anyone has any advise for where to try in the sound or offshore this time of year, I am all ears. Cheers
Swale is good, if the weather is doable straight across the channel from swale is bamfiield just out and down from Ucluelet entrance is spot can’t remember the name and just on outside of Ucluelet by the lighthouse are a couple I’ve been to that might produce salmon
I think rock fish are banned in the sound not sure on the Hali but I got a small flounder at swale non keeper
Some where on this site is a bunch of numbers for gps for the outside Hali spots maybe one of the guys will share I can’t remember where I seen it but I’m only 18 feet so inside is safer I feel
I’m coming in July leave some for me
Oh yeah don’t let them catch you anchoring in the broken group but plenty of spots to tie up three way two way from rocks and such it’s awesome
If your not an addict already you will be !
I’ll tell you now believe me latter

Heading to Barkley sound on the 9th for 5 days, camping in the Broken Islands w a 24’ aluminium. First time fishing WCVI, hoping to spend some time targeting halibut and some on salmon. I have read the old reports and salmon university, but if anyone has any advise for where to try in the sound or offshore this time of year, I am all ears. Cheers
Start with a map, so you at least know what peope are referring to. Search the Internet and do your best to print "26 fishing hotspots in Barkley Sound."

Anyone have a recent report to share? Taking my kids to Bamfield for their first time this weekend, hope to get them into a few fish.

just got back , we may be there on the 12th for 5 days if your still around Roy , prob be Sockeye fishin up the canal , 9 Springs in 2 days for us this past weekend , worked hard for them , but there around....Thx NB's
yes im there from 9 to 16

Anyone have any ideas for how to access Barkley Sound with the HWY 4 closure, or how long the closure may last? We were planning to launch in PA and run to the Broken group Thursday, now looking at plan Bs like running up from Renfrew or heading to Nootka and Cougar Creek camp instead.

Just got a helpful PM saying that based on emergency services calls the road is likely to stay closed for a few days. So... anyone that knows the coast want to weight up 1) Running up from Renfrew (24' aluminum) with the current wind forecast on Friday and back down on Tuesday, vs 2) Heading to Nootka and Cougar Creek instead?

launch in renfrew, send the chase truck with all the gear and trailer, strap down the bunks.. when the road opens, pull it out at clutesi.

What others said, any break downs on that detour ,good luck to you

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154730_Messenger.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154730_Messenger.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154746_Messenger.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154746_Messenger.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154801_Messenger.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154801_Messenger.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 152
Yeah, I’ve driven the new route from Lake Cowichan to Bamfield a couple of times the past few weeks. It’s a lot better than last year for sure, but I still wouldn’t tow my boat over it. Mainly pretty good, and a fast trip for a truck (3 hrs Bamfield to Victoria) but still a few surprises that could definitely ruin your day if you’re trailering a boat on a trailer that isn’t designed for off pavement travel. Both the Central and Flora main section have random pothole or large hump sections that are on corners that are hard to see in advance. Nasty business for sure. On the Nitinat section I waited for a minivan with a tent trailer to cross a bridge and watched the trailer get about 2 feet of air on the rise to the bridge deck. They didn’t even slow down at all on the downside and it totally bottomed out its back end😳 I can only imagine what some of the admittedly few pothole sections were like for that poor trailer. All about off road experience towing, risk tolerance and respect for your equipment I guess.

Last edited:
Little chicken*** to do that run in my small boat.
It shouldn't be a problem. I assume you have fished at Camper at some point. I have done the run to Nitnat (about 20 miles) several times and the waters never been any worse than just the run to Camper. I have never run from Nitnat to Beale,(another 20 miles) but I can't see it being much worse.
Someone more knowledgeable may say I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Especially if you go first thing in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back