Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out today with my oldest son who has never caught a fish. Headed out around 9am to the freighters off Albert head, and at 11;45 his rod went off he got his first, then 12:15 he gets his second. Pretty slow for a while then at 2pm Im at 120 of water and 140 on the rigger when I think I’ve got bottom but I feels like I’m gaining on it… 20 mins later a 3o lb halibut is in the tub. Crab traps were full with lots of smalls and a few keepers. Can’t get this smile off my face tonight
Well done, we started at clover, got into a school of 8 to 12 lb hatch springs, mostly 8lbs bit lasted on and of for an hour and a half. Released a 11 lb wild landed 9 fish had a fun day

Got out today with my oldest son who has never caught a fish. Headed out around 9am to the freighters off Albert head, and at 11;45 his rod went off he got his first, then 12:15 he gets his second. Pretty slow for a while then at 2pm Im at 120 of water and 140 on the rigger when I think I’ve got bottom but I feels like I’m gaining on it… 20 mins later a 3o lb halibut is in the tub. Crab traps were full with lots of smalls and a few keepers. Can’t get this smile off my face tonight
That’s an amazing day! Hopefully he is hooked for life!

Got out for a solo trip today from 11 to 2 as my wife was at work. Fished the waterfront, brotchie to the flagpole. When solo I usually only fish one rod, today I had 2 out. Got these 2 on the AP spoon on the photo. The huge rain cloud over the Westshore stayed out there so I did not get wet, which was nice. Just a few more days to fish springs do get out there. That was about my 8th trip and the only one that resulted in fish in the boat.

Attachments

• 20220328_143150.jpg
    20220328_143150.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20220328_132813.jpg
    20220328_132813.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 156
We put in 3 hours yesterday 8-11 near the freighters by Albert Head and had a whole lotta shakers going on but then a nice 5# Hatch. on a cookies and cream flasher and same color coho killer. Dropped 2 pots in 120' and landed 8 jumbo Dungees. I Fed a party of 14 people and still had some leftovers to go with my scrambled eggs this morning. Grey skies but really calm waters. Last week we got skunked at the mud hole. 5 hours and only 1 dogfish. Today was a much better day!

Attachments

• Resized_file_10118402015460.jpeg
    Resized_file_10118402015460.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 69
I got an invite to go jig with my cousin King Crab and his twin boys. After dropping the traps at Willows, we jigged the flats at Oak Bay. It was quite slow for salmon. Just when we were going to pull up, I was lucky enough to jig a small spring up. The hook fell out of its mouth at the same time it was being netted. We then motored 20 minutes out to Constance Bank. There was a ton of action for small lings and rockfish that we caught and released. When we were pulling lines up when one of the kids got snagged on the bottom, my jig got hit half way up the water column. It is always so much fun playing a spring caught by jigging. We kept on catching and releasing a variety of fish including greenling, flounder, Cabezon, rockfish and tons of small lings. We picked up the crab traps and we were able to get 6 keepers of which 3 were jumbos. One of the crabs was just over 8 inches long! Fun day on the water!

Attachments

• 276275516_1082686735625630_4191960369295084070_n.jpg
    276275516_1082686735625630_4191960369295084070_n.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220329_161718.jpg
    20220329_161718.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 129
I got an invite to go jig with my cousin King Crab and his twin boys. After dropping the traps at Willows, we jigged the flats at Oak Bay. It was quite slow for salmon. Just when we were going to pull up, I was lucky enough to jig a small spring up. The hook fell out of its mouth at the same time it was being netted. We then motored 20 minutes out to Constance Bank. There was a ton of action for small lings and rockfish that we caught and released. When we were pulling lines up when one of the kids got snagged on the bottom, my jig got hit half way up the water column. It is always so much fun playing a spring caught by jigging. We kept on catching and releasing a variety of fish including greenling, flounder, Cabezon, rockfish and tons of small lings. We picked up the crab traps and we were able to get 6 keepers of which 3 were jumbos. One of the crabs was just over 8 inches long! Fun day on the water!
Fished/trolled Oak Bay Flats for several hours on Monday and Tuesday. Had a couple of bites, no fish to report and generally very dead. wished we had gone to the waterfront. will go to waterfront on Thursday to fill in our licences.............

Put in a good shift for Hali out of Pedder. I had been planning to head to boarder bank but stayed close to pedder. First time fishing solo, even running three rods in 320 feet of water. Went pretty well other than the Hali that was supposed to bite my line were caught yesterday I found out when my buddy texted me a picture of 4 in a tub.

Do most people fish the ebb for Halibut?

I can’t catch a Hali to save my life! Then I went on a charter out of port Renfrew and the guide laughed when he heard this saying Hali are the easiest fish to catch! He proceeded to put us on a double header within minutes back trolling against the current. I’m sure he had a diver in the water. :rolleyes:

Put in a good shift for Hali out of Pedder. I had been planning to head to boarder bank but stayed close to pedder. First time fishing solo, even running three rods in 320 feet of water. Went pretty well other than the Hali that was supposed to bite my line were caught yesterday I found out when my buddy texted me a picture of 4 in a tub.

How were currents? I would have thought too fast to fish Hali yesterday.

Do your research and put your time in, you'll soon see that you can catch them in all kinds of circumstances.

Here is one for you.... Back in Port Renfrew in the 3rd week of August over a decade ago, I decided to do some jigging for cod at Owen Point on my way in from salmon fishing, in 50 ft of water with my wife, we caught and landed a 65 lb halibut on a 2 oz lure and on a single action reel, and on an ugly stick rod. Meanwhile at the cleaning table the charter fleet came in with their limit of ping pong paddles and the guests were asking me if I do halibut charters as they seen me slicing and dicing, because no one was getting anything over 30 lbs.

Another time I went to one of my producing spots, and all I could catch were big halibut (90-150+lbs) and about 15 of them on that trip alone. Came home with nothing but muscle spasms in all kinds of places.

Sometimes you just never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been out to Border Bank twice this season for flatties since the opener and got blanked both times. 1 Dog first effort that was it. Fishing herring, squid, and chinook bellies.

Yeah I like that 240 area and spent some time in that range as well as deeper to 300+. We fished everything between 180 to over 300 on the 2 attempts with nothing. I was kind of surprised usually there's at least a few smalls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back