Status
Not open for further replies.
We fished 100 -- 200 with no luck on flat fish. Couple dogs. Mostly huge rockies. We stuck it out hoping to get lucky on the tide. Had wicked bait. Really think there wasn't any in the area that day. Tide was perfect. At one point a 4oz weight was sticking bottom. Fished the entire ebb. Nada. Loaded on prawns for our efforts.

Seen that it was a Full moon yesterday but thought to fish anyways. Went out to secret spot off the waterfront and got into 6 halibut! Kept 1 at 107 cm, let the others go. Managed 4 nice crab too. Normally full moon stands out for me to not expect too much. But this time it was different.

Salmon belly/ herring was the ticket.IMG_0047.jpeg

Finally….the streak is over 0-6 on my last salmon and halibut trips. Started the day in the fog bank at 7:15, and ended at 2:00 with a few nibbles and I finally pulled one out of the herd, 102cm Halibut at 1:45 to call it a day. Checked on the traps, a total of 14, with 6 that were keepers, I was by my self, so 2 had a chance to see another day.

Attachments

• 9391C368-B319-4F3E-A73F-8FA02A1AF95A.jpeg
    9391C368-B319-4F3E-A73F-8FA02A1AF95A.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 188
  • EB680EFF-4B1E-4C35-A5BB-2A0EC4621EF9.jpeg
    EB680EFF-4B1E-4C35-A5BB-2A0EC4621EF9.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Nice calm day with great tide flow on Sunday. So we skipped the mud hole parking lot and went to Constance Bank to give it a try. There were three other boats in the area and we started fishing at 730. First two hours nothing and then we got a 30lb halibut. Fished another two hours and only got a couple of dogs, so we went in. At the dock we saw numerous chickens (15lb) being brought in.
Good to see people are having some luck..

Picked up our traps on the way in Pedder bay. Sure enough one trap float was not where we dropped it. Pulled it first and it only had three small crab and no bait. The other trap which was 25 ft away had 6 keepers and about 15 under size or females.

This past weekend my buddy had a friend who was camping in Port Renfrew and invited us up. We decided on a last minute trip and on Saturday loaded the boat on the trailer and hit the road. It was a fun trip but Port Renfrew has no cell reception. There is internet at the dock and my worst fears came to pass when I returned.... Once my phone connected to wifi lots of alerts came up with message from friends back in Victoria about how good the hali fishing was. Leave it to me to go away on a good hali weekend back home.

To prevent sadness and depression a buddy and I went out on his boat after the weekend and anchored off pedder near the lanes. Got a dog fish within the first hour ..... then hooked up on a nice 30+lb hali. All before noon. Winds were supposed to come up by the afternoon but they actually calmed down.

Caught it on salmon belly and octopus. Seems like Hali fishing is picking up.

Some of the best halibut fishing I have seen in a long time. Nice to see.
We have been getting them in 250 to 325' of water from the Race to the mud hole and to Constance.
Nice to hear! This spring has been more hit and miss for me and my friends compared to last year but I hope that changes as the season goes on.

Do you prefer J-hooks or Circle hooks? My fishing partner and I are two minds about this. I like the Circle hooks because I don't have to jump on the rods and they generally hook themselves without much work. My buddy thinks you get more hookups (less missed bites) on J hooks.

Nice to hear! This spring has been more hit and miss for me and my friends compared to last year but I hope that changes as the season goes on.

Do you prefer J-hooks or Circle hooks? My fishing partner and I are two minds about this. I like the Circle hooks because I don't have to jump on the rods and they generally hook themselves without much work. My buddy thinks you get more hookups (less missed bites) on J hooks.
not a fan of circle hooks
I know what you mean by hit and miss.
sometimes they just sleep!!

not a fan of circle hooks
I know what you mean by hit and miss.
sometimes they just sleep!!
The beautiful thing about circle hooks is that once they stick, they stick for good. Also I find that halis are always hooked in the corner of the mouth on a circle ,which is always a good thing when encountering oversize fish that need to be released unharmed. No chance they become gut hooked on a circle like they often can on a J.

Opening day success for my wife and I in Oak Bay. 2 huge black rockfish and a 70 cm ling. Sunny flat calm day, first one in quite awhile.
What a great opening day! I'm glad to see evidence that black rockfish exist. I've been going bananas trying to find them. All I ever catch in Oak Bay are Quillbacks. Care to share where you caught those 2 beauties?

I was out for the first time in a few weeks. A quick mid day outing with my wife. Managed to pick up a decent keeper Ling in short order. Released another plus a few smaller and some rockfish. Tried to find some salmon to jig but no luck on them or bait.
Never caught a black rockfish in Oak Bay. Lots off East Sooke. They are one of my favourites.

Opening day success for my wife and I in Oak Bay. 2 huge black rockfish and a 70 cm ling. Sunny flat calm day, first one in quite awhile.
Wow, those rockies are HUGE. Well done!

I hear black rockies tend to be found in terrain quite different than the usual quillbacks, chinas and others. Anyone have any insights into what type of surroundings the black rockies like that is different?

We used to catch Lings in fairly shallow water and I’ve never picked one up when fishing deep for Halibut. Wonder if they have a depth range and if so what is it?

We used to catch Lings in fairly shallow water and I’ve never picked one up when fishing deep for Halibut. Wonder if they have a depth range and if so what is it?
I’ve caught them in 10’ to 300’ of water. Had one hit our jig hanging just below the water line. Less numbers out deep in sand & gravel for sure. Favourite species to fish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back