Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are talking to me “Newf”,,, yes I was out enjoying the awesome day. I didn’t hear anyone honk but I’m getting old and maybe a bit deaf as well. . I’m in the red Ranger Tug. My buddy picked up a small chicken but nothing for me.
Yup, cruised by in our c-dory about 1pm. Dropped about 3/4 mile further south. Had a 7 dungees and 2 large red rock in one trap 110 feet of so. Just the one bite and considering the tangles we had we were lucky to get that.

If you are talking to me “Newf”,,, yes I was out enjoying the awesome day. I didn’t hear anyone honk but I’m getting old and maybe a bit deaf as well. . I’m in the red Ranger Tug. My buddy picked up a small chicken but nothing for me.
Hey I’ve seen you out at anchor off pedder as well as trolling in East Sooke. We have said hello in passing and on the ramp.

I’m in the soft top silver streak with the raymarine radar.

what do you call yourself on the radio (vhf 68) ?

Hey I’ve seen you out at anchor off pedder as well as trolling in East Sooke. We have said hello in passing and on the ramp.

I’m in the soft top silver streak with the raymarine radar.

what do you call yourself on the radio (vhf 68) ?
Don't call myself anything on the radio. LOL Never use it except for a radio check every now and again. I'll send you a PM. I have a question for you related to the Navy.

Fished with Haberdasher in the Gap for 3 hours this morning, not a hit and not much bait showing. 3 traps along Willows beach and not a keeper to be had. Water was flat and no wind so a good day to be on the water.

Last edited:
Fished with Haberdasher in the Gap for 3 hours this morning, not a hit and not much bait showing. 3 traps along Willows beach and not a keeper to be had. Water was flat and no wind so a good day to be on the water.
We fished the flats on friday in the am and had 2 bites. one 8 lb hatchery and one 8 inch spring......... nice calm day.

Launching out of pedder tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to catch some winter springs? I usually fish the water front or constants.

Happy to exchange reports on the radio, Island magic.

Word on the street is Whirl bay has produced well the last week with some good sized fish being caught. 100-150’ of water tight to the bottom is where I would start to look. It’s the SVIAC derby tomorrow I would think lots of fellows will be out and Pedder launch will be busy.

Word on the street is Whirl bay has produced well the last week with some good sized fish being caught. 100-150’ of water tight to the bottom is where I would start to look. It’s the SVIAC derby tomorrow I would think lots of fellows will be out and Pedder launch will be busy.

Tried a little Halibut fishing off Constance, to no avail. Was pretty busy out there so hopefully someone lucked out. At one point I thought I’d caught bottom, then maybe a Skate. Got it finally up to the boat and it was a very large Octopus hanging in for dear life to a Ratfish. I suspect the Ratfish Took my bait and the octopus grabbed on to it. Octopus was hooked in one tentacle and broke off at the surface but there was no way it was letting go of the Ratfish. Someone at least went away happy lol.

Last edited:
Went out today for some halibut, left just after 7:15, dropped the traps off and headed out to the halibut grounds on the mud flats. Left at 1:45 with only a couple of nibbles, assumed they would have been dogs. Went to pick up the traps, 1 had 1 rock, the other had 16, all males, 7 keepers, too bad I was out on my own, 3 went back for another day. Since mid November, I am now 0-6 for fish. (Salmon & Halibut) Ouch!

Attachments

• F2950C6B-7909-4479-94D5-2E81C9FE368F.jpeg
    F2950C6B-7909-4479-94D5-2E81C9FE368F.jpeg
    629.4 KB · Views: 65
Went out today for some halibut, left just after 7:15, dropped the traps off and headed out to the halibut grounds on the mud flats. Left at 1:45 with only a couple of nibbles, assumed they would have been dogs. Went to pick up the traps, 1 had 1 rock, the other had 16, all males, 7 keepers, too bad I was out on my own, 3 went back for another day. Since mid November, I am now 0-6 for fish. (Salmon & Halibut) Ouch!
Was out today aswell. Crabbing has been great but it was my sixth trip for Hali with no luck either. One more shot tomorrow. Can’t catch ‘em on the couch

Fun to see a nice size octupus, my son would have loved that. We get little ones prawning the inlet.

We trolled whirl bay for a couple hours. Saw one fish netted. Went back to beside the shipping lane and put in a long session til past 4 with only bycatch. Sun came out and we had steaks, potatoes and asparagus on the bbq, while my sick son power napped in the cuddy. Cudos to my buddy, been a couple years since I've had him out and he upped his food game in response to me buying a bbq.

Broke out the new GoPro, old one is in 120 feet of water off brotchie. I’ll try and do up a quick video, the excitement of a small skate just isn't the same as reeling up a halibut.

Happy to give our donation to the SVIAC. Thanks for your guys hard work.

Good morning fellow anglers,

went out for Hali yesterday nice and early off pedder near the lanes. Dropped anchor and waited…. And waited… then got a bite… turned out to be a skate… then another skate…

was going to pull up around 1130 but decided to stay at anchor for lunch as lines were still staying down. Got the bbq out and had a nice hot meal

as we finished lunch we got lucky and had one Hali take the side with the circle hook baited with squid and herring.

On the way home we limited out on crab….

We got lucky. that halibut was a late bite outside the prime current window…. Sometimes desperation pays off hahaha
89304E6E-7484-46D5-AE28-5767488106B5.jpeg

Got out today with my oldest son who has never caught a fish. Headed out around 9am to the freighters off Albert head, and at 11;45 his rod went off he got his first, then 12:15 he gets his second. Pretty slow for a while then at 2pm Im at 120 of water and 140 on the rigger when I think I’ve got bottom but I feels like I’m gaining on it… 20 mins later a 3o lb halibut is in the tub. Crab traps were full with lots of smalls and a few keepers. Can’t get this smile off my face tonight

Attachments

• A559942A-3C0C-4426-B70A-37889F7118B1.jpeg
    A559942A-3C0C-4426-B70A-37889F7118B1.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 154
  • AAD5367B-0B72-4B46-A2CD-38913270269E.jpeg
    AAD5367B-0B72-4B46-A2CD-38913270269E.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 154
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back