2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you go to T10 Saturday or Sunday for first light if you could only pick one..?

Asking for a friend who is confused as hell regarding seiners impacting the fishing …
Don't know about the Seiners, but I prefer a SE on Sunday, to a NW on Saturday

Would you go to T10 Saturday or Sunday for first light if you could only pick one..?

Asking for a friend who is confused as hell regarding seiners impacting the fishing …

We will be at T-10 first thing on Sunday.

Not my report but it’s something since reports are few today. Buddy was out at t10 today with lots of other larger boats that could take the winds. Got a few chinook on spoons, coho killer and skinny G. Several commercial boats out there too. With the lack of rain forecast we might get another 2 weeks of good fishing?

2 in the box at sand heads, lost 2 others (one good one) bite was on 6:30-7:30 and 9:00-9:45ish
Well that was it, soon as I posted the bite fell off. Was another bite on around us at noonish but nothing for us. Stayed til 2:30 for a full 8hr shift. Thanks to @BCBuoy for returning the favour and taking me out. 11lb marble and a 14lb red, and a mid-teens that we should have had (in the net then jump/flopped out) meh it happens. All on chovy at 40-60’
Must have been a bit slow, I even saw Raincity go into the pack for a bit 🤣 a bit chop in the am but sat down, kinda cool to see the commies out there, besides the fact they’re getting all the sockeye that we can’t. Looks cool though. overall beauty day
89BD57A7-8A65-4805-A83F-FE107F956ED5.jpeg

Well that was it, soon as I posted the bite fell off. Was another bite on around us at noonish but nothing for us. Stayed til 2:30 for a full 8hr shift. Thanks to @BCBuoy for returning the favour and taking me out. 11lb marble and a 14lb red, and a mid-teens that we should have had (in the net then jump/flopped out) meh it happens. All on chovy at 40-60’
Must have been a bit slow, I even saw Raincity go into the pack for a bit 🤣 a bit chop in the am but sat down, kinda cool to see the commies out there, besides the fact they’re getting all the sockeye that we can’t. Looks cool though. overall beauty day
View attachment 84829
Haha you're right! We got our limit though in the end. Missed the early bite becuase I slept in. Tried fishing deep at T10 to avoid the commies but the swell was gross and the gear wasn't running well. As soon as we got down toward SH it picked up a little. And then a little more after the tide change. One red, three marble. Biggest was about 18lb.

Haha you're right! We got our limit though in the end. Missed the early bite becuase I slept in. Tried fishing deep at T10 to avoid the commies but the swell was gross and the gear wasn't running well. As soon as we got down toward SH it picked up a little. And then a little more after the tide change. One red, three marble. Biggest was about 18lb.
Were you running in around 5?

Those marbles sure do have a lot of fight for mid to high teens fish.

Hi, I have my brother and sister-in-law out from SK and she would like to see some Whales. What can I do to find where they are at. Channel 68? I can drop my boat in to use.

Thanks, Rob

The light was right to see a pair of whale blows moving along Bowen shoreline toward Snug Cove yesterday as we passed by on the Horeshoe Bay ferry. We were so far away I couldn't identify a species. Probably Orcas.

The light was right to see a pair of whale blows moving along Bowen shoreline toward Snug Cove yesterday as we passed by on the Horeshoe Bay ferry. We were so far away I couldn't identify a species. Probably Orcas.
They were actually two humpbacks feeding. I was heading up the sound and stopped to watch for a bit. Nice to see. Lots of anchovies around so I imagine they’ll stick around for a bit. I saw the whale watch boats spent today around the east side of Howe Sound, so they must have been there today as well.

Interesting day for us. Hit T10 at first light and a nice teener was on right away. After that we had 3-4 light hookups that popped off. I actually had (guessing a sockeye) smoke my bait while on the surface and give a decent run until it also spat the hook. We also managed a decent double header.. but lost the big guy while waiting for the net.

The fun started shortly after.. we had a boat cutting across the fleet moving at about 10mph screaming at every boat in his path.. with nobody at the helm. The guy must have turned his reel on freespool and just let this fish run free.. while he kept his boat in gear with no one steering. Absolute chaos. He ended up running over our lines and wrapped our cannonball which eventually snapped off. The best part was his fish surfaced at our boat (wrapped in our lines) and we almost netted it.

Things went quiet until about 1230 and the bite was back on.. except i had raincity syndrome and lost 4 fish at the boat. 2 of them were belly/side hooked and one in it's back. I've never experienced this behaviour.. very weak hook sets or gut hooked.

Not sure if you guys have any tricks as I seem to be losing (properly hooked) fish right at the boat.. no equipment failure, just hooks popping out of mouths before we can get a net on them.

We capped the day off with our skipper getting into the shallows and hooking up all of our gear on the bottom.. eventually leading us to cut another cannonball free.

Oh well.. got a couple in the box and have now let enough time pass I can talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back